New bow #2

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by samh, Apr 8, 2007.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Started last week on my second homemade bow, #1 split out on the top limb after 3 days of shooting. Had # 2 almost finished, 68 inches long, was 60 lbs @ 28 inch draw, I was tillering it down some to get the draw weight to around 50 lbs when the bottom limb broke clean into when I pulled it back. Oh well, time to start #3, I got the bug to make one that works, so if you don't succeed the first 2 times, you just keep on suck'n till you do succeed.

2. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Samh I have made several selfbow's and harvested deer with them. Starting out is difficult, go slow on the tillering. The best book i ever read on selfbow's is "Hunting the Osage Bow" by Dean Torges. What type of wood are you using. Osage or Hickory does not have to be backed. Keep trying you will get better with each bow. Lots of Luck.

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Been work'n with red oak boards to start with, got to get out and find some hickory or a least some better oak.

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey Sam,
    Have got some Osage trees at our lake house. Don't know what to look for in making a bow but would be glad to send a limb of it if that would help. They used to plant tree rows in this part of the world and still as lot of it left.
    All we do is gather some of the fruit to keep spiders out of the house every year.
    Bill

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Porboy, thanks for the offer, but before going to all that trouble I just need to get off my butt and cut some hickory, elm, locust or ash here on the place, we've got lots of timber, I just haven't got around to going out and really look'n hard for some good trees. Been try'n to strart out easy with a board bow to get the hang of tillering and shape'n, got to get better boards or go cut my own. Thanks for the offer.