New boater question.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by fcrnnngbck25, Feb 17, 2008.

1. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Well I live near the Indiana, Illinois boarder, and was wondering if I wanted to use my boat in Illinois would I have to have it registered there. Its no problem to get it registered just a question for a new boater. Thanks

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If your boat is registered in your home state (I am assume it's Indiana) then you can fish that boat anywhere, in any state. You will need to comply with fishing license requirements for the non-resident state though. If you are fishing a river that forms a communal border between the states it is likely there is a reciprocal agreement between the states to allow you to fish these waters, however you may possibly not be able to fish the backwaters on the non-resident side without possession of that state's license. A quick check of your state's game laws should clear up your questions.

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Paul,
    If your boat is registered in your State of residence it should be fine in Illinois. The boating regulations may differ from state to state so pay attention to them but other than that it should be fine. Also one other thing is state lakes, some of them require purchasing a permit sticker before you can fish them so make sure you check this out too. rspd507

4. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

I wasn't sure about that. I had an Ill. fishing license last year but didn't take a boat out so thats no problem. I just wasn't sure how the whole boating worked. Thanks alot thou :big_smile:

5. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Alright, thanks. I'll look into that. Wasn't sure but everyone here cleared it up for me.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have taken boats to several states without any problems, tho fishing licenses can get tricky. On can wander into another state and not be prepared. I suggest getting licenses in both if u plan to fish regularly and if they require any special permits for fish of certain species, might want to grab those too.

Aside from that remember to always check your drain plugs and keep several spares on hand. I keep a couple in the boat and one in the glove box of my tow vehicle. I have lost them before, forgot to put them in and even had one come out somehow while fishing. That gurgling sound was not good!

Best of luck to you!!!!