New boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by skunkwood, Dec 8, 2008.

1. skunkwood

skunkwood New Member

State:
    missouri
    I will be retiring soon and want to purchase a new boat. After researching several brands I have settled on a Sea Ark but am a little confused on the degrees of the hull as far as handling rough water. I have an older 16 foot Jon with a 35 horsepower motor w/tiller steering. I am looking at a Rivercat CX200 side console but I am told they have a 3 degree hull. I will be fishing the Mississippi and Missouri rivers and several large lakes in Missouri. I am lookinf for an all around boat. I was told by Sea Ark if I wanted a 15 degree hull I should be looking at their Pro V line. I am wanting an aluminum boat because of the rocks and gravel bars. Can anyone that owns a Pro V or a Rivercat give me some advice? This will probably be the last boat I buy and I want it to last.

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Lloyd the 15 degree will be a smoother ride if there is and chop from wind and will be a smoother ride.

3. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Lloyd, I have a V-Cat and the ride is amazing. The 15* hull makes a HUGE difference. It handles barge waves with NO problem.:wink:

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sea-Ark is the way to go! :smile2:

I need to get my butt into a Sea Ark soon :wink:

There is a few videos that we shot of the actual Sea Ark plant that you may like to watch?

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sea ark makes a real nice boat. I don't know much about the angle and how it affects your ride, but I know you will be happy with the quality of the sea ark. Congrats and welcome to the BOC

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lloyd Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. You have been given good info on the SeaArks. Good luck on your choice.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have a 2004 RiverCat, 3* hull....I fish the Mississippi and Missouri rivers ALL THE TIME! If they would've had the ProV's when I purchased my boat, I would have gone that route...don't get me wrong, I LOVE my RiverCat, but I think I would be even happier with the 15* hull. There can be quite a bit of choppy ruff water out there, the 15* would be a much smoother ride.

I would definately go with a 20' foot boat if your fishing the Mississippi river, there is alot of barge traffic and they can and do create some large wakes!!!

8. skunkwood

skunkwood New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks guys. I am going to look at other models of Sea Aek boats. After hearing your replies I want a 15 degree hull. I appreciate your replies.

9. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I don't own a sea ark, but I recently changed over from a flat bottom boat to an alluminum boat with a 6 degree hull, and the diffrence is night and day! If I buy another boat I will probaly look at getting a 15 degree hull next time. The handling, is better, the ride is better, and those barge waves just don't carry the punch the did before. The only thing to consider is that boats with more degree of V don't do as well in shallow water and are just a little less stable. I say go for the 15 degree hull and you will never look back:big_smile:! By the way, just about the only water I run is the Mississippi River so I can feel the pain of the barge waves and a good south wind:wink:!!

10. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    I am going to buy a sea ark and after much input from people all over this site am sure the 15 degree is the way to go. You dont have to get the pro-v though the v-cat is a 15 degree boat that in 20 ft will hold 150HP. Good luck with what you decide on...

11. skunkwood

skunkwood New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks Lwarren

I have decided to go with a V Cat which is the 15 degree hull. Getting prices now and look to purchase one after the first of the year.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats on the buy. Order it now and take delivery after the first of the year. LOL Merry Christmas to you and welcome to the BOC.

13. skunkwood

skunkwood New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks to everyone. You all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Be Safe:0a31: