New boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by gtva, Jun 10, 2008.

1. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    After much debate, finally settled on a boat. If no problems sneak up on me, should have a Carolina Skiff 17DLX with 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke by next weekend. Thanks to those who offered advice here a few months back, all was appreciated.
    Later, Greg

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a real nice boat, I have considered them myself. Let us know what you think once you've tried it a couple of times

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Good luck with the new boat. Hope it brings alot of great days of fishing for you!! Sounds like a nice rig. :wink::0a22::0a23:

Take care!
    Mark..

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Congrats on the new boat! Just remember if you drill any holes or run screws through anything on the boat that is filled with foam (the floor, etc) to seal it with 3M 4200 or 5200. If you dont, water will get into the foam and your boat will get very heavy. Also from what I hear, very hard to get water out of the foam once it gets in. If you use the 3m stuff, get the fast cure so you dont have to wait a week for it to cure. I do not personally have one of these boats but did a lot of research on them when i was looking. I like them, but ended up deciding that aluminum was the way to go for me. Once again, congrats, and good luck!!

5. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Congrats on the new boat! Post some pics after you pick it up.

6. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Congrats, I've always liked the looks of those things. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Greg congrats on the new boat. You have made a good choice. I hope you catch a new PB with it.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    DO post pics when you get it! Love my CS, and have been thinking about getting a bigger one.
    BB in SC

9. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sweet! Let me know how it pans out for you. I plan on getting one as well in a few weeks, so you'll have to give me the skinny on the skiff. I mean if you want to, since you will already be there, you can go ahead and get me one to and save me the trouble and gas money going to get one!

10. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    got it.... now for break-in and fishing

Attached Files:

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice lookin rig Greg! Congrats.

12. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Great looking boat Greg. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Have fun and be safe when you take it out.

Tom

13. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There are two Carolina Skiff forums you might want to check out. You can probably google them up pretty easily.

Is that a Yamaha on the back? If so there are two things I would do right away.

1. The hose for the steering cables hits the bottom edge of the casting deck. Take a piece of sandpaper and smooth the area where it touches, then put a piece of garden hose or something in between the casting deck and steering cable hose to keep the deck from wearing a hole in the steering cable hose and exposing the cables.

2. Some folks have the same problem with the bundle of cables coming from the front of the motor wich includes your throddle cable, fuel line, electric, guages ect... Again sand the bottom of the casting deck and put something over the cables to keep them from becoming worn.

3. This is optional but not a bad idea for any new boat purchase. Put Dielectric grease on ALL electrcal connections. Just in case you get some salt water on them or something it will keep them from corroding.

Some guys pull all of the through hull screws and put 3m5200 on them then reinstall. That is up to you, but I would definetly put 5200 in any new screw holes you are going to put in the hull.

I have a 2480DLX with a 115 Yamaha and I love it. There are just a few fit and finish problems you might want to deal with before you end up having to replace those expensive cables.

Enjoy.

14. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Greg, that is a great looking boat. Congratulations and enjoy.:big_smile:

15. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Congratulations, that is a dandy! Thanks for the pics

16. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    nice looking boat if you are ever down in Texas come by give me a ride just kidding thanks Sam David

17. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    thats a fine looking boat! i have a buddy who has a blue wave that looks like yours , he catches lots of cat fish out of his , have fun! and may your live well allways be full!

18. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    WOW!!! Thats a great boat. Good luck with the cats.

19. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Nice boat,congrats!!

20. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Good luck with the new rig :smile2: