New Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by hawgman, Jan 9, 2008.

1. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey, I'm new to the forum but not new to catfishing. I have always fished from the bank or from someone elses boat but now I am waiting on delivery of my own boat. So I am going to need to rig it out and I am looking for ideas and tips. Lay em on me.

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Welcome to the HOOD!!!:big_smile::smile2: Check out the library for sure.:big_smile:

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Mark,
    Welcome to the BOC.:big_smile:
    We are going to need some info so we can offer any suggestions. What type of fishing are you setting it up for? River, Lake, both? What do you already have for the boat? Fish finder, trolling motor, anchors, etc? What size and type of boat/motor did you buy? What are your thoughts or ideas for the boat? What in particular are you wondering about?
    The library is a great place to look and you can do a search for anything in particular that you might want to read about. And of course asking questions is a great option. Loads of great people and information on the BOC. You came to the right place.
    Here is a link to the BOC library. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

Thanks
    David

4. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Big Dav & Big Sam - Thanks for the feed back, I will go to the Library and look around. I am getting a 17 ft xpress with 50 horse yamaha, no trolling motor - will put that on myself - has front and back decks w/live well and seat mounts. Will have a center console w side mount controls and aluminum trailer. Basically that is all. I will be rigging out the boat my self for river and lake fishing. Will be fishing the Guadalupe river from Victoria, Tex to the bay and also Coleto lake and Lake Texana and Choke Canyon Lake.
    Big Dav I have tried to look at your pictures but cannot download anything untill I have 10 posts completed so looking forward to seeing your boat project.

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Mark,
    Sounds like a very nice rig. I still have questions about trolling motor so I am not much help there. I think I have decided on the new Minn Kota Riptide ST (I may have this boat in salt water). That is if I cannot figure out something at the back for twin trolling motors. Still working on that thought.
    I would suggest Drift Master rod holders and lot of them. Since yo will be fishing in both river and slack water. I went with holders all around the boat for slack water and I am working on a system across the back for river fishing. Lots of ideas in the library on both.
    I would suggest some 12 volt outlets if your boat doesn't some with any. Possibly some floor lights if you think you will need them. I have small kids so I am adding a few.
    Fish finder and a GPS are a wide open topic and the shy is the limit on price. I would suggest heavy research on both and ask a lot of questions once you find something you like. I think I will be adding a humminbird 997 once I get this boat closer to being finished. I would not want it to run out of warranty while I work on my project.:smile2:

I need to make an update to my boat modification journal. I have done a few more things, and have a few pictures. I hope to make a little more progress in the new few weeks.
    You will have 10 post before you know it and will be able to see all the pictures.

Some type of vertical rod storage might also be useful.

Thanks
    David

6. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Dav, Sounds like you have been doing your homework. I am Looking forward to getting to work on my projrct. I take delivery on the boat on 1-24-08 so I have some time to do a little research myself. Looks like this is the place to get the information.

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Mark and congrats on the new boat. Check out the archives, you'll find all kinds of ways to rig her out. Looking forward to reading some of your posts.

8. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Berry Thanks for the good word. I will Post stuff as I go. Thanks

9. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome Mark! I am fairly new here too, but everyone here is always very helpfull. You can get alot of very usefull and helpfull information here on the foruims. I am glad to see another Texan here I am San Antonio up the road from you.

10. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

11. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Marcos- I know San antonio well I was raised up in Pleasanton. If you are that close to Choke Canyon I know you will be fishing there and maybe someday we will meet up over there.

12. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Mike in Arkansas Thanks. I know you have lots of good places to fish up there

13. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    Welcome and congratulations Mark. Do alot of research and remember boats are like hotrods and houses; if you are done it usually means you've sold them. GOOD LUCK!

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Mark. Loads of info for you on this site. Look around and ask questions and you will get your answers.

15. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    welcome mark to the boc. i am going to take some pic of my boat, so maybe that could give you some ideas. I will be right back

16. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    here are some pics hop they help with some idea's

Attached Files:

17. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Bluejay thanks

18. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rey - Jason thanks this is is my # 10 Post so now I will be able to look at the pictures. Thanks I think I am going to enjoy this place.

19. hawgman

hawgman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jason - Thanks for the pics. Gives me more ideas.

20. 07Fatboy

07Fatboy New Member

State:
    KY
    Good luck with the new boat!