New Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Big Vert, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

Ok guys, I need some advice here. A buddy of mine got a new boat, so he gave me his old 14' aluminum V-hull boat and trailer. It doesn't have a motor on it.

This will be the first boat I have ever had and I really haven't done much boating. What kind of motor would you recommend for a little boat like this to get me around? I'm not sure where to start and don't want to make an expensive mistake here. Thanks.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    ALLRITE! I had a 14 foot aluminum for years. I had a 9.9 Johnson on there and it served me well. The only drawback with a 9.9 is speed and the ability to hang with the big boys on a larger river. I would recomend a 25 horse if the boat is rated for it. Do a search on the model boat you have and see what it will handle. Also there should be a plate in the boat usually on the transom showing the weight capacity and max engine size for the boat. Good luck to ya and keep us posted.

3. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm with you there George! I have a 9.9 on mine, and while it's good on gas, if you are in a hurry you are out of of luck.

Advantages are I dont have to change motors or troll around the limited horsepower lakes we have around here and I can run around 6 hours on 6 gallons of gas :)

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have a 10hp on mine,I sure would like a little more power maybe a 15 the 10 is not enough for the big lakes

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have a 9.9 on my 16 ft. Jon. it runs great and you can get on every lake.

6. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    here is my lil 14' aluminum v hull with a 18hp evinrude on it ....hope this helps some .....it aint the pertiest boat on the lake ...but it will get ya out and back just fine ...usually starts on the 1st pull after the initial start up which only takes 2 to 3 pulls at most :)

Attached Files:

7. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    I have a 14 foot flat bottom jon boat with a 15 evenrude on it and it is faster then my 20 on my 18 foot

8. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I have a 14 ft Lowe jon boat with a 15 Evinrude. It does OK but I wish I had a little more. My buddy has a 14 ft G3 with a 25 Yamaha 4 stroke that ain't no joke. That thing flies, and is so quiet and fuel efficient. My next boat will definately have a 4 stroke engine.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just put a speed sensor on my boat, 17' triton duck boat, Its got a 75hp four stroke Mercury on it, with 3 guys in the boat it would only go about 37mph. I guess thats pretty good but with I could get it up to around 45.

10. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I have a 15ft. Lowe Jon boat with a 25hp Tohotsu engine on it. My boat is rated for a 25hp so I'm at the max for it now. It really goes good with two people..

11. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

Hey, thanks for the tips guys. Sounds like a 9.9 is probably the ticket. A lot of lakes around me have the 10 and under rule. I was thinking 2-stroke. Any opinions there?

12. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    big vert, I would buy a 9.5 hp outboard you can find them for about $200.00 in my area. Johnson or Evinrude

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good luck finding a motor. lol , we always want a lil more. my 17' fish and ski has a 50 hp force. it will only do about 25-27 with me and a load of fuel. its a twin console and still does about 24 with a couple guys but ide sure like to get a 75-85 if this one ever goes south. it runs great though. ain't fixing a good motor.

14. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Think about everywhere you want to fish with the boat. Alot of the lakes I fish have a 9.9 limit and the 9.9 still gets me where I want to go in the rivers I fish. Big George gave me a great deal on his old Jonboat with a 9.9 motor and was nice enough to meet me halfway to cut my driving time in half. It sees alot of use on lakes and rivers. George had it setup so nice with a great wiring job and storage space I didn't change a thing. I love how far the 9.9 will go on a tank of gas. In my shoes I wouldn't trade it for a bigger motor, unless maybe it was a brand new 15hp with a 9.9 cover. :D Abu