Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
957 Posts
Congrats on the new boat!

It seems there are a lot of things on national back order. Id take it out test the trolling motor first. Depending on how and where you fish. It might do the job.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks Steven that’s what I was thinking. Just get it on the water this weekend and see how it does.
Working on swapping the sonar - boy they like their wire ties! (under the deck) haha
At least you get to learn how everything comes apart and works that way...
I need to start working on the motor break in so I figure it will be a good opportunity to motor around and sonar some areas I’ve not been in and find some new spots to try.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Thanks Steven that’s what I was thinking. Just get it on the water this weekend and see how it does.
Working on swapping the sonar - boy they like their wire ties! (under the deck) haha
At least you get to learn how everything comes apart and works that way...
I need to start working on the motor break in so I figure it will be a good opportunity to motor around and sonar some areas I’ve not been in and find some new spots to try.
Dan-

Sounds awesome. I'm planning out hitting the water (maybe) next weekend. I think I'll take Tuesday to change my water pump on my good ole Evinrude..... Then fishing maybe during the week/weekend.

Matt

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd say your probably right about 80lb thrust troller being better on that boat. Try the 55lb out first before investing the ipilot for it. That way if your not pleased with the performance your not out the money on the ipilot. I have a bit older powerdrive 55lb on my 1654 welded jon. It's about perfect for it, but I'd imagine on a big deep v like yours it would be weak. I have the copilot on mine so I have a remote but no spot lock or gps features you get with ipilot. I would have gone ipilot but on the powerdrives if you install the ipilot you lose the ability to run the foot pedal too. Being I like to bass fish as much as I do catfish I didn't want to be without a foot pedal. The terrova can use ipilot and still have a foot pedal.

·
Premium Member
11,189 Posts
That brings up an interesting point Ferd. I used to bass fish but haven't in years now. I have the Motor Guide but it also has the remote, foot pedal and spot lock. Because I strictly catfish or hunt for shad to net, the remote is all I need. The foot pedal is just ballast in the storage bin. After you mentioning it, I do remember how handy the foot pedal was for bass fishing though.

Dan I agree with Ferd that you will probably want the 80 pound thrust but since you already have the 55, I would try it. If I were looking for what worked the best, I would want the 80, remote, spot lock and to be able to join it to a fish finder and set a route to follow like a ledge. Now "wants" and "needs" are often two different things and then "gets" are always the lesser of the three.

good luck
Nice boat.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks Ferd Tom
I pretty much decided on the 80 but too many chores and I haven’t had it on the water yet to test the 55.
The 80 presents the upgrading to 24v, chargers, etc but I think I have a plan figured out where to mount it all. Boat is kind of odd in the battery lay out... I’m wanting to add battery power anyways to run some extra lights and such. Tinkering with it is 1/2 the fun think haha

The rod rack is almost complete:

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Looks awesome Dan. I am going to use the same materials to make mine! Or some steel cuts from the welder down the road. I might drill/tap the fittings though. I don't want a full rack, just corner brackets.

Matt

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Thanks Matt
Saturday is looking awful wet at the moment...
Contemplating a vacation day Friday haha
Agreed. I just picked up a new rain suit but I’m on dad duties Friday. Heading to get some new pal nuts for a keel roller axle. My trailer is still wonky and I need to take some weight off the front roller. Roller only lasted 4 years of light use.
Matt

·
Registered
Aaron......Indiana
56 Posts
For what it’s worth, I still have the 12 volt 65 lb thrust Powerdrive that came on the boat and it’s for sale. It has I-Pilot and remote.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Tom a couple strategically placed C4 charges and your off to a good start lol no really I'm not one to talk I don't have a garage but I went from tracing all my tools and such with marker in my sheds to now you have to dance like a ballerina to get around them. Kids!!!! This summer when I get over my back surgery they will get cleaned out. And reorganized

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I wouldn’t call it organization I lean toward calling it just trying to control the beast!
It’s in decent shape at the moment but it’s been cold - wait till summer....

·
Premium Member
11,189 Posts
Tom a couple strategically placed C4 charges and your off to a good start lol no really I'm not one to talk I don't have a garage but I went from tracing all my tools and such with marker in my sheds to now you have to dance like a ballerina to get around them. Kids!!!! This summer when I get over my back surgery they will get cleaned out. And reorganized
Moose, I was a bomb tech for 41 years but it would not be legal for me to have any C-4 here.
But I did teach explosives for a few federal agencies and can use what is in my kitchen to clean it out pretty fast. I’d need to wait for the nieghbors to go to church though.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts