New Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by foodsaver, Mar 21, 2006.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just bought a new to me boat it is a 1994 smokercraft 17.5 ft flat bottom jon boat with a 50 HP yamaha jet motor on it. I havent gotten to take it out yet but it has been sitting for a couple of years in his garage. I think on Friday I'm gonna get out with it with just the trolling motor if I have to, but hopefully I can swap out the gas lines change the plugs and fire it up. It was in a heated garage for 2-3 years so its a gamble but worse case scenario I have to have the carbs cleaned and its a nice big jon boat that will be perfect for catfish and stripers.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Wish ya nothin but the best with it Craig.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Congrats!!!!

Hope you enjoy it for many fishing seasons to come!!!

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Sounds like a great rig. I would give it the total once over before hitting the water and fire it up with the water muffs to make sure your first trip out will be a good one.

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on the new boat man! Good luck and I hope she treats ya well. Better get after them cats!

6. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Thats awesome news, I bet it starts and runs like a new one , have fun and tell use how it did

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like you got a great catfishing rig, good luck!

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'd replace the water pump impeller before you take it out - no sense in taking a chance on a $15 part. Those things tend to dry out and get stiff when they're out of the water for a long time.

9. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    how difficult would you think it would be to change out the water pump impeller? Is this something that would be on a jet motor?

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    There's usually not much work involved in changing the impeller - just drop the lower unit and the water pump is right there.

You should buy the service manual for your engine if you intend to do any maintenance on it at all - either the SELOC or Clymer manuals, around $30 each. It'll give you the detailed procedures for worknig on the water pump as well as anything else you might ever need to do.

11. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I recommend going to the outboard motor forum. BobPaul and Bubbakat have some great posts on what needs to be done on a boat that has been setting up.

Jim

12. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A lot of good stuff can be found at the garage sells too. Fish finders, and trawling motors are in abuntance.

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i would get a good new fish finder as they are like PC today models are out dated next month. A nice fish finder can make catching fish alot easyer. I got a color unit with my new boat its like night and day you can realy see thing 100% better in color.

14. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    congrats on the new rig. i hope you get many a season out of her.

15. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Congrats on the new boat, hope she does you right!

16. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    congratulations on your new boat.

17. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I ordered the manual and its on the way.

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good luck!!!

I would follow the advice of some of these experienced boaters here. I am new to owning a boat since I have only had mine a year. This forum will be my first stop when I have a problem.

Show us some pics!!

19. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good luck with your boat. I picked up one this winter that had been sitting for three years covered up under a tarp, put new fuel in it and replaced a board in the floor and it runs like it was brand new. 35 Evinrude 16' long and 7' wide just what I was looking for. Hope you have the same good luck I had.

20. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Congrats on the new boat.