Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

New boat/ what motor?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  cully 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking at picking up ~18 ft jon/modified jon by next spring, might end up being the Sea Ark 1860 river cat. . I am thinking about a 90hp Yamaha 4 stroke for it. I am mostly sold on the idea of a 4 stroke for the quiet running and fuel economy. I live on the Ohio river and want to be able to get as much distance as possible out of my fuel tank. So, if you were to purchase a brand new 4 stroke in ~90hp or so, what engine would you buy and why?

Thanks!!

#2 ·
Yamaha. I have one of their 2 strokes and have been nothing but impressed. They're just as good as Honda in my opinion, but less cost to buy and maintain (honda wants a premium for their outboards). There's also several yamaha dealers in my area, making parts and service easy to obtain. This is not a big deal on a used motor with no warranty (if you're the one working on it), but if you need warranty work done, its nice not to have to drive long distances to drop off, and then drive again to pick up another day.

#4 ·
Chris -
I adjust boat claims for a living, and I do a lot of claims on outboard engines. If I were buying a new outboard, I would find out which local dealer had the best reputation for good service, then I would buy something from that dealer. The major manufacturers all build good engines. The difference is in local service, just like cars. I owned three Explorers, not because I was in love with Fords but becasue my dealer had a first rate service department. When the owner sold out, my next vehcilce was a Lexus SUV. They have first rate service.

Having said that, I know from my claims experience that four strokes have WAY fewer problems than two strokes. Don't forget the weight difference though. A 90HP four stroke will weigh more than a 90HP two stroke. May or may not make a difference on your boat.

FWIW my used boat came with a small two stroke Mercury. I'll take of it and I am confident it will last forever.

#5 ·
I recently bought a Polarcraft MV1886 and decided to go with the 90 Evinrude E-Tec because of the exremely queit engine, oil injection and light weight. The engine is very very fuel efficient and would buy another anytime. I use it on the Mississippi River and several local lakes and could not be happier and would suggest for anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.