New Boat, to me at least.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by armyhooah, Jun 30, 2009.

1. armyhooah

armyhooah New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Ohio
    This is a 12' semi-v.

I am new to boating and boat fishing. This will be my first boat.

What advice and experiences can you all give me? I have the basic stuff, motor, trolling motor, not sure what kind of batteries? Life vest.

Not real sure about the anchors. What I have gathered so far form this site is to use a front anchor and a drift bag of bucket in the rear.

Thank you.:big_smile:

2. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Congrats on first boat
    Life vest always buy the best you can afford
    anchor chene are good

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Congrats on the new boat.Make sure you have a good horn or whistle for all the crazies that run across the water at light speed.

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Congrats on the first boat! Ubfortunately, you will be forever stuck with owning a boat, and will soon enough find out that you can't remember how you got along without one. As for a battery for that trolling motor, I would recommend a deep cell gel that can take the vibrations and constant discharge/recharge cycles. Have fun, and be safe!

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    congrats on the new boat, best advice is practice on the water, the more time out on the boat the more comfortable you'll be, a fish finder is also a must have tool, but don't get too used to this boat cause in a year or two you'll want a bigger one, and a bigger one, and a bigger one, thats what happened with me:wink:

6. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Congrats on the new boat. best advise I can give you is always Be Safe #1 Rule.

7. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    OK, no one has posted the two basic tenets of boat ownership so here goes.
    "A boat is a hole in the water that you just keep shoveling money into" and "The two best days in a boat owners life are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it".
    For just starting out I have found the Wal Mart deep draw batteries to work fine. Just need a new one about every three years or so. Also, I fully agree, get a depth finder. You HAVE to have that to find the underwater breaks.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Best new boat advice is to start saving money, these things are expensive.

9. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    wally world everstart hold tons of juice. get the highest amp hr they sell. i always throw an extra old car battery in just in case i didnt give her a full charge. with a 12' your anchor would depend on current u fish in or wind you think youll take. i like the folding anchor with a drag chain. wall mart has em for $12 u just have to buy the chain.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the first boat,hope it brings you in plenty of fish

11. Ahh, the first boat, I will never forget the feeling. Enjoy it dude, and remember, K.I.S.S., Keep-It-Simple-Stupid! Hahaha, don't dump more money than you have to bro! Good luck!:wink:

12. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Congrads! Brandon on your new boat. Enjoy and be careful in shallow water the lower unit is fragle and expensive, Check out the BOC knowledge base on how to make some cool rod holders for your boat, lot a good information there.

Here's a link for some rod holders:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38929