New boat thread....last one I am going to create

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by harper81, Feb 5, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    K I got money now so I am going to post some of the boats I find that would suit my needs in here and give me thoughts on them. I know absolutely nothing about boats so I really don't know if I am getting a rotten deal or not so any help would be appreciated.

First one I like...http://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/1021658935.html

2. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    One thing to keep in mind, A boat from James Island has seen nothing but salt water. I would check the engine, trailer and boat hardware over real good for corrosion. But it looks a good catboat in the making. Good luck to you.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Much too narrow for comfortable fishin', and.. what DT77 said.

Bill in SC

4. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    When you buy a used boat, you are buying the engine mostly. As long as the hull floats, the rest is cosmetic. Be sure you check the engine out very well, and do a compression check at a minimum. Perferably, try to get the boat on the water because it may idle on the muffs in the yard, but under a load on the water is a different story. A compression check will give you the best indication of the internal status of the motor.

Don't rush, be patient, and look at lots of boats. The more you look, you start seeing things that you forgot to look at in the past. There are alot of good deals out there now, and with the economy the way it is, the deals should continue to be there in the coming months. Lastly, don't forget about all the extras that you will need to spend money on. Taxes, tags, registration, hold holders, lighting, fish finders, on and on and on and on. Be sure you have some extra saved up to cover all those things. Good luck.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Mr Charlie has a nice one for sale in Pamplico. What is your budget, Bill? I know when you first started posting about a boat, your budget was $1500. Has that changed, more/less? Personally, if I had $1500 and was gainfully employed, I'd borrow an extra grand and get a boat like is in this ad:

http://florencesc.craigslist.org/boa/984538698.html

A little short term debt wouldn't be to bad. Just want to see you comfortable, and with a reliable ride.

Bill in SC

6. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I am gainfully employed, but have terrible credit so I can't get a loan. The wife has been generous enough to allow me $1500 of the tax money for boat buying purposes. I know it would be nice to have more, but it is what it is. I think with the economy in the shape it is I should be able to stumble on a deal eventually. I am not in a rush, but would ideally like to be on the water by April when the fishing heats up.

7. leftemptyhanded

leftemptyhanded New Member

State:
    St.Joseph,Missouri
    i bought a 17 ft alumacraft last fall and it also is fairly narrow you might wanna keep your options open.if i had an extra thousand id be buying something wider. fish the missouri though

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I am not in a rush,>

THAT is THE key! With a $1500 budget, give me a few days and I'll fine you a dandy! Don't you go and spend that money!!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Bill in SC

9. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    how do you like this one harper,i think its 16 or 17 ft he says it runs good

Attached Files:

10. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    and two more 1500dollars asking price

Attached Files:

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'd be ALL OVER THAT, Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill in SC

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Harper this is abuyers market and some people need money so dont feel bad about offering less for a boat than the asking price. The 1st boat Bill put up is right down the road from my house and will go look at it and talk to the guy if you want me to.

13. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We looked and looked but cosmetics is cosmetic.Buy for the wide beam with at least a 25ph motor and you will be happier. Best wishes to you on the buy.

14. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Who do I contact for that? If it i fact needs no motor work I will pick it up this weekend.

15. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Bill- I know the boat on James Island. It is a definite NO NO. My mechanic was looking and checked it out. No compression.

16. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    David, he's keeping his budget at $1500 or less. The first two are WAY out of his range, and to me, that third one looks TOO small. It's cool that you're on the lookout though.....:cool2:

Bruce, I saw that boat the other day. If it's the same one we're talking about, it's over behind the Dairy Barn, right? Harper, that's a good'un. She don't look like much, but it's gonna be a cat boat. She don't have to be pretty. It'd do her good to have a new protective slime coat on that carpet!! :smile2::smile2:

17. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    If someone up that way could get me a contact number I would definitely check it out.

18. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    That's only about five minutes from my house. I'll see what I can come up with this weekend, if you want me to. :cool2:

19. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    we looked for a long time, then we found a wide beam, polar kraft. This boat would have worked just like it was but we are giving it a overhaul. you can look at my album and see it. We didnt have the money to buy it like we wanted so we got one in our budget and collecting things to put on it. as we go. We know what we want but didnt want to plunge into debt to get it we would rather spend money fishing and enjoying it

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Number one on my list is knowing how it was stored.
    Run across a many a boat at a good deal that ran good and looked good but had major problems you couldn't see. Problems caused directly by how it was stored.
    There is alot you cant see or get to in a boat.

Boats sitting outside the transom becomes immediately suspect. The sole and the stringers follow close behind.
    None of these you can readily see.

Anything stored outdoors under a cover or not I would be very selective and I wouldnt think about anything over a couple of years old in that situation.

Bring me a boat that needs a stringer replacement and a transom replacement. I can ruin your year real quick.
    Just to replace the sole in an 18 footer will make you cringe. You are easily talking several thousand dollars in labor and material.
    I can build a new 18 foot hull for 2 grand in materials.

Old boats 10 years and older I wont even think about buying. beyond the potential structural problems you have alot of foam problems. The older foams were like sponges. I've seen a half ton of foam come out of 17 foot hull. Completely waterlogged. Great boat until you strip it all out and find out the stringers and the transom are toast too.
    It's a hurdle you can overcome if you know how to pull it all out and tie it all back together knowing the stress points and being able to devise a lamination schedule to put it back just as good or better then it was when new.
    Where do it yourself sole replacers tend to screw up is not realizing that the sole is part of the structure of the vessel. Not as simple as cutting some plywood and screwing it down. A disaster in the making.

There is alot of tell tell signs to look for in a glass boat that I could go on for several hours explaining but to keep it simple, fiberglass is not waterproof.
    Even though the glass is hard water can find its way into the glass and wick all through the fibers. In essence there are alot of waterlogged fiberglass boats all attributed to how it was stored.
    Then you get into throwing alot of good money at bad money. Simply not worth it.

Aluminum has it's share of problems too even down to how it's been stored.
    I'm not a fan of aluminum boats for numerous reasons.

The internet is a valuable tool. Plenty of information out there. Dont go into buying a boat blind. Dont fall for the "eye candy".