New boat..thinkin about a carolina skiff..

Discussion in 'Boating' started by mhbomber, Jun 27, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I had a boat i was going to buy on Monday, but it sold today :angry:. I am looking at different boats now and saw a good deal on a brand new 19ft dlx carolina skiff. it has a 90 hp 2 stroke yamaha motor on it. Wondering if anyone has experience with Carolina Skiffs or with the Yamaha motors. Would that size Yamaha be good on gas and quiet? Also, do you think it is necessary to have a trollin motor? I have always had one on my boat and use it sometimes, but don't think it is a necessity.

Thanks for the help!

2. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Matt, I also recently got a "new to me" boat, and was wanting to take my trolling motor off. SO, I posted a thread, and alot of guys use theirs, and plus it makes as a great back up. After reading all the replys to my post, Im keeping mine, for now. :cool2:

3. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    just got the 17DLX, have only had it on the water for the first 2 hours of break in for the motor. have a 60 Yamaha 2 stroke, at 3000rpm you can carry on a conversation without any trouble, very quiet. ran the first 2 hours up to 3000rpm, used maybe a gallon of gas. boat is vey stable, with a 280lb man and a 210 lb man standing on one side you still have 10-12" of freeboard. can't wait till the next trip so I can start opening it up some
    Greg

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Only thing I can say about it is. If ya are gonna be runnin a river the slightest chop will make ya wish ya didn'y own it. LOL! Itsnot a pleasent ride in any kind of choppy water. Thats my experience with em.

5. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    anybody know if the yamaha 90 hp 2 stroke engine will be economical on gas?

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Everyone I know that owns, or has owned a carolina skiff loves them and has nothing but good things to say about them. They are not the the nicest riding boats on the water, however i have been told that they aren't that bad. They are slightly heavier than an aluminum boat of similar size, so they should ride better. Maybe i'm biased because i have a 14' flatbottom jon boat. Carolina skiffs are very good on gas and very stable because they are essentially a flatbottom. Very nice boats, just remember, if you mount anything on/to them to seal it up good with 3m 4200 or 5200 (get the fast cure) because if you dont, they will get water in the foam and get very heavy. Very hard to get the water out of the foam once its in there.

I have a 25hp yamaha 2 stroke i bought last year, I LOVE it. Very quiet for a 2 stroke and good on gas. I've said it before and it bears repeating. Get plenty of motor for the boat. If you get big enough a motor, you wont hafta run it full throttle all the time to stay on plane.

7. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a 2480 DLX with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. The 4 stroke is very quiet, I have never been around any Yamaha 2 strokes so I cannot say how quiet it will be. The 90 horse seems to be a popular choice for the 21 ft DLX so it should work well on the 19 foot DLX as well.