New boat ramp on the kaw

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by n2fishn, Feb 1, 2009.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Seen in the paper today that the KDWP is wanting to build another ramp on The kansas river just west of Topeka.They also said in the future they would like to have one ever 10 miles for public access.

This one will be just north of 10th and ursish road in the new Kaw river park the state owns on the south bank of the river.

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

as much as i would like to see it happen they are going to have a tuff time pulling it off with all the private farm land that borders the river system not far from here.

3. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    that sure would be a great thing if they could pull it off id also like to see warning bell when there letting out water because ive heard of a lot of people camping on sand bars that wake up to find that there camp is under water and there stuff is gone :crazy:

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You guys are lucky.:roll_eyes:
    There is a plan to do that to the Arkansas but I doubt to see a shovel hit the ground anytime soon. The river isnt deep enough for conventional boats most of the time but they were atleast going to have access and a canoe launch. That would be nice to have more access.
    They wanted to put an access every 5-10 miles so that people could use the river for float trips without traveling long distances.
    They have met alot of opposition from landowners.
    They did build 2 canoe launches here in Wichita. They kinda suck though.:smile2: You have to carry the boat about 100 yards to get it in the water.
    Better than nothing I suppose. I have used them to float the river and I have used them to fish. Atleast they are on a decent strecth of river.
    They did put them in some questionable neighborhoods though and the new parks already have graffiti on them.:sad2:
    Once you get out of Wichita you have to go all the way to Oxford before you have public access again. Then its all the way to Ark City.
    The worst thing about the parks are that they close at 11 pm.:confused2: I wish they would put gates in that only let people out after 11, or something.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That would be nice but I see some issues with that area. It is not to far from the weir and with all the sane people around Topeka:roll_eyes: that is just asking for another boat going over and more deaths. I know that you need to play it smart when on the river but I see it lasting for a while then something happens and then it gets shut down. Just my 2 cents worth.

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I guess thats the warning your going to get,when you have to start swimming out of your sleeping bag:smile2::smile2:

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Pretty much. We almost got washed away down by DeSoto one night when they opened up Perry. It was kind of unexpected, turned out they were releasing to create some whitewater for a Kayak group that was there. It would have taken a heck of a bell, we were maybe 30 miles away as the crow flies.

At least KDWP is showing interest in improving river access.

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Tom, where'd ya hear they were planning on putting boat ramps in back
    my way up river? I was hoping that they might increase access to the
    Kaw since it has the advantage of being declared a shipping channel
    and therefore an exception in Kansas riparian law. Once you get in the
    river, you are on public land. So its sort of like traveling on a highway.
    Well, you know all that stuff anyway.

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    It was in the Crapital Urinal, I mean the Capital Journal.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yeah, the Kansas River is kind of like the Autobahn. Only a few entrance ramps, and no speed limits. :wink:

11. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    THat must be the new state park they've been talking about.How deep is the river there? Can you navigate it in anything besides an air boat or a hovercraft? How bad is the neighborhood there? Will my friends Smith and Wesson need to come camping with me? I hear they will have the same facilities as the rest of 'em.Thanks for the info Tom

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    How deep is it, well if my memory is right it would be on average 4' but that is when the river is at normal pool. The neighborhood is just as good as the rest of Topeka. I really do not have much of a problem in Topeka. The other ramp in Town I think would be worse off when leaving your vehicle. I do not know much about the plans of the area. I do know that they are wanting to do a river park area downtown and from what I have heard they would clean up the river and dredge it out to hold more water.

JJ might be able to recall the depth in the area he floated it not to long ago. It has been 8 plus years since I have been in that area.

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Dan's right it can be around 4-6' at normal level.I duck hunted all that area for years on privite land on the north banks and in the winter months i could walk across it most of the times.

But there will be some good fishing up river from that area.X-brother-in-law dad owns land just about a mile up from where they will build the ramp and the state put in some jetty's on his land a few yrs back.He set line's around them and caught a 70+ flat out of there.(yes it was released)
    Between where they build it and Silver lake there will be some nice holes and jams and car bodies to fish around.

Time for me to buy a Jon boat..:wink:

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Tom is gettin the flathead fever!:wink:
    Im ready when you are.:cool2::smile2:

15. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Just another reason to own another boat:smile2:and to see what all this noise is about catching a flathead..:crazy::smile2:

I know they are not as cute as the fish i catch or anyhow the 90 some i seen Klye catch last year was'nt.:smile2::smile2:

16. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I thought they were real pretty. Especially the ones covered in mud.:smile2:

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Only the one's Ashely caught looked cute to me:wink:

18. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    you can get more info from the friends of the kaw website. there has been talk for the last couple years (that i know of) of having access every 10 miles.

i have been from st. marys to topeka on the kaw. there is a channel and you will be fine if ya stay in it. the kaw is so sandy that it seems to change often. Lucky & i have a jon w/ a 9.9 on it and dont have problems except when we stray from the channel to get to a hole. i can give more "advice" on how we do it if you are gonna get out on it.

19. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey Tom I got a 16' Jon W/ 25 hp johnson. I don't know what the hell I'm doing on the river but I'm eager as hell to learn.Look me up when it warms up.I wanna head your way and try for some of those giant osage channels DSage is always talking about. I am pretty good at catching channels. And don't worry I only eat crappie,bluegill and walleye.If I catch a big one it will still be swimming around.I can hook you up on my feeder pattern at Pleasonton....it's constant action average fish around 2-5 lbs.We get a double digit one almost every time. On a good day we might get 3-5 double digit ones.

20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Eric tell you this when it warms up and OSL gets jumping I'll met you down there and we can see what we can do. Also if you want to run the river I'm sure between Tom and I we could put you on some river fish. I grew up in the area and have ran the river from Topeka to Maple Hill and a few times to Wamego. I will tell you this if a ramp is put in plan on some HUGE Flats getting pulled out. Several nice feeder creeks run in to the river in that area and there are more old cars running the banks than I even want to know. We would set line on the river and feeder creeks every summer and we pulled out some real nice fish and 99% went back in the water. There will also be some really pissed off land owners if they open up the ramp. Some now think that they are god and rule the world!