new boat owner

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by stickusmc, Mar 9, 2008.

1. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    i am buying u used boat and want to know what i need to do to get it all legal for fishing. any help would be appreciated

2. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Since it is a used boat (if in Illinois) there should already have assigned numbers on it. You will have to register it to yourself and get new stickers for it. That is really all you need for the boat. Oh the usual stuff you will need life jackets, fire extinguisher, a whistle or horn and running lights for night time navigation. You should be able to pick up the registration application at any marina or boat sales. I believe you might also be able to pick one up at your Sheriff's dept. I know DNR drops some off here at Jackson Co. you can also pick up free copy of boating rules and regulations, hope this helps.
    Semper Fi

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That about sums it up, if need be you shouldn't shy away from one of the boat safety classes the state and Feds offer, most is common sense, but you know some don't have any, most that have had or been around boats all their life would still be amazed at what they could learn taking one. And the books and what not if you can't find any close by you can get them off of the IDNR web site sent to you free, Everything is also listed online. Congrats on your new boat!!!

4. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    thanks guys
    i looked into classes im taking one online
    what are the rules as far as testing it to see if it leaks
    the guy i bought it from said it doesnt but he hasnt used it in a couple of years. do i have to wait to get it registered or can i just drop it in and see if it leaks

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Chris, Congratulations on getting you a Boat.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Chris, this is out of the book, If you have a local water hole I would go set it in for a bit if your concerned on leaks. As long as you have your bill of sale you should be alright............

STATE LAW REQUIRES THAT THE PURCHASER OF A WATERCRAFT SHALL, WITHIN 15 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE, MAKE APPLICATION TO THE DEPARTMENT FOR REGISTRATION/TITLING.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Estimated Processing Times for Watercraft Applications as of February 25, 2008:[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Internet or phone-in renewals - 2 to 3 weeks
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mail-in 1/2 sheet pre-printed renewal notices - 3 weeks from date of receipt.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Post Office Mail:[/FONT]
      • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Long form Watercraft Registration/Title Applications -Processing mail received January 21, 2008 through January 25, 2008. The TEMPORARY PERMIT copy of the application is valid for 120 days, from the date the application is signed, for use of your watercraft. (This includes the following transactions: New, transfer renewals, Renewals, Duplicate and Corrected Titles, Duplicate and Corrected Registration Cards and Duplicate Decals).[/FONT]

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    when i got mine, i went up to the notory shop and got the title transfer, trailer tag and stuff all in one place. they gave me a little folded up packet with all the legal stuff in it to carry until i got my stuff in the mail. then i put the numbers on it when i got the title and registration. and u have to have a horn, fire extinguisher and lifejackets, but i have never been checked. have fun and be careful.

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Then you can wait for 6 months to get your registration and crap for the boat. They were super backlogged. :crazy:

9. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    thanks for the advice yall ill get pics up soon

cant wait to get some slime on it then do some mods:big_smile:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris congrats on getting a boat. I hope you catch a PB on the first trip out.

11. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you have a small, lightly used, launch in your area, you should be able to launch it w/o much of a hassle.

I restored a canoe and launched it just to test, and it was not problem. The CPO saw me and quized me a bit since I didn't have tags or numbers. I explained what I was doing and he simply said, "fine, but next time I see that boat it better be numbered and have current tags."

As for the fire extinguisher, whistle/horn, life preservers, etc. how long is your boat? I found out the hard way that ANY boat in excess of 16' (yes, a 16.5' boat qualifies) must possess at least 1 Coast Guard approved Type IV throwable life preserver on board at all times. A Type IV throwable is the square "seat cushion" type life preserver w/ handles. When I got stopped I had 5 life preservers in my boat, but none were Type IV, so I got a warning from the same CPO that quized me about the canoe. Again it was, "fine, but the next time I see that boat it better have at least 1 Type IV throwable onboard."

12. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Chris, you can also check your boat for leaks by using a garden hose and filling it with water, then you can mark the leaks with a permanent marker on the outside. Be carefull that the weight of the water doesn't damage the trailer. Filling about 1/4 to 1/3 full should be enough. If you have a small leak on an alluminum boat, you can make a tempoary patch with good quality duct tape. Clean and dry the area inside boat if possible, or outside, and apply a small piece of tape. You did not mention a motor on your boat. If it has a motor and it is older , it probably does not have a tether (kill device) that you attach to your wrist, get one installed and use it, along with a floatation device. It is to easy to get thrown out and become a statistic. Between Rend and Carlyle lakes, 2-3 Fisherman die every year from getting thrown out.

13. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris, Congratulations on the purchase. A boat opens lots of possibilities for you that bank fishing doesn't. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

14. Beehunter

Beehunter New Member

State:
    Goosepond Marsh, Indiana
    Congratulations I hope you enjoy it.

15. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yeah send them pics ican read them lol..

16. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    make sure you take pics of the mods being done before and after!!

17. janzo

janzo New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris, Before you put your new boat in to check for leaks, Make sure you put the plug in first. :big_smile: I left mine out a few times and it can sure fill up with water fast. Have fun and catch some big ones.

Janzo

18. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :big_smile:Glad to here you got a boat.If you go down to Canton stop at Buells on the way in and ask them for a form,you can fill it out with no problem or i think for a small fee they will do it for you just have your numbers with you.How big a boat and what style did you get, i hope at least a 14 foter for the river extra wide extra deep.The best way to tell if a boat leaks is to take a Q Beam light and shine it in the boat close to the floor at night if you see light then it will leak.Check for loose rivets and tight transome bottom.But you all ready bought it so remember a little JB Weld will do alot.

19. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    hope this works
    pics of my new used boat

Attached Files:

20. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats, looks like she will make you a nice boat. Now get her rigged the way you want her and get busy fishin! :big_smile: