New Boat Owner... grab some food, ive got questions lol

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by JoshFisher, Nov 19, 2009.

1. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    hey yall, so i just got stationed out here in oklahoma and bought a boat a couple days back. Its a 1976 GlassMaster 15' with a 1973 50hp Evinrude that just got rebuilt and runs strong. Basically im just wanting to know as many tips as i can... i.e anything lol. As well as drift fishing techniques and the relation of the cold weather to the motor?

Much Appreiciated.

2. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    watch out for trash and such or you will go through props like a kid with candy!!:wink:

3. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Well first off Josh, thank you for you service to our country. Cold weather starts can be a problem with some engines, the following are some of the things I've come across....if you have a electric choke on the engine, I have found that if you use the manual choke on the engine until it warms up it works better. I've had the tube from the motor head to the (pee) hole hold water and freeze a few times. Good fresh gas helps a lot, and you might go with just a little higher octane in the winter.

4. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    thnks to both of yall for the advice anyone got any tips for drift fishing? always fished from the bank so im not to sure...

5. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I don't drift fish for catfish all that much....but there are many here that do, you have come to the right place for some good advice.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All I'm gonna say is know your body of water ya fish. It will save ya money. :wink:

7. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    Thx for the help, on the topic of saving money i remember watching a video you made about takle organization thats helped me a lot, everything pre-tied in baggies... cant beat it :smile2:

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Josh,
    Always make sure your boat is legal and has ALL the necessary safety equipment.
    ALWAYS put the plug in.
    Make sure your engine is tuned up and reliable.
    Always check that the bilge pump works.
    If you don't have a bilge pump....GET ONE.
    Always keep your battery/batteries charged and the connections clean and tight.
    Carry spare fuses and bulbs and know how to change them.
    Make sure your Nav. lights work.
    If you have a trolling motor make sure it works or have a pair of paddles. They may be the only way back if the engine quits.
    Make sure you have enough fuel to get you there and back.
    If you are going to fish rivers a spare anchor will save you one day.
    Have a decent first aid kit and know how to use it. You may be a long way from the ramp when you or you buddy slices that hand open.
    Keep your boat tidy. Have a place for everything and know where everything is.
    Have a compass and be aware of where you are at all times.

I could go on and on but I'll let someone else chime in. As for drifting, do a search on here; there is a huge amount of info.

Welcome to the BOC, be safe and have fun...W

9. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    thx Winston great help!:big_smile:

10. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Dang Winston, your as anal about boating as I am....just kiding buddy. your right on all points.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't own a boat, but I know boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand. :smile2::smile2:

12. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma

haha so far thats true, but its alota fun bein on the water:roll_eyes:

13. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Or a hole in the water that your through money in.......:crazy:

14. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I would recomend to keep a spare prop on board at all times as well, and also carry a good sharp knife you never know when you may have to cut an anchor loose if you need to move in a hurry.

15. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    remember the extra prop is no good without a prop wrench,I keep both aboard my boat,and about every second or third outing I pull the prop and remove any momo or braid fishing line that gets wrapped in the prop shaft area it ill cause friction and cause wear and failure quickly.

Also if you want you can mix your oil to gas ratio a little different to run in the winter,say 40:1 instead of 50:1,but I would only do this if it continuously gives you trouble ,otherwise just follow the manu. rating which I believe is 50:1 ratio,get a measure cup for like 3 bucks at wal mart ,they are specially made to get your gas ratio to oil right.

Enjoy the boat,if you can explore the lake you fish the most without fishing too much ,just cruise around and get your bearings if the lakes not to big,a lake looks a lot different from a boat as it does from shore,then you'll know exactly where you are.

16. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    All have given great tips .
    The most important rule of all is get you some monster rod holders
    on that boat and get to fishing .... Congrats on the boat .

17. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mark,
    Anal is ok (at least in the context you are saying):wink:
    Every one of those points is based on things that have happened to me or people I have rescued over the years and I'm still learning. The water can be very unforgiving at times...W

18. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    It was meant as a compliment. All the points you made should be well taken. I'll safety check my boat two or three before it leaves the garage on a fishing trip. I also carry a Orion emergency kit that encludes, flares, strobe, mirror,signal whistle and florescent water dye. After 4 years in the USN, water can be more than unforgiving....it can be down right frightening!

19. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    What do you use the dye for??

20. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I disagree with you man.... if you are on top of things like "Metalman"says ... then all you need to know is that a B O A T is a 4 letter word.... like work:smile2: