New Boat - No Baitfish - No Bait!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SmokinBarrel, Sep 4, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Well I installed the rod holders yesterday, and took the boat out for a slime trip. Everything imaginable went wrong and not fish! :confused2:

1st - I didn't get on the water until 7 p.m. and spent 4 hours trying to find bait fish along the barges (below Alton Dam). Finally, I decided to leave and I ran into a guy who got me on some bait fish near the dam. So, now it's 12:30 am.

2nd - I decide to go fish. I throw the anchor, and do not like the location. So, I try proceed to pick up anchor. Long story short, the anchor line gets rapped around the propeller. I was chittin my pants - but didn't panic and remained cool. Also, the boat was flipped around, the transom was facing upstream. What I did, was idle to fast to pick up the anchor. Anyway, I thought things through and fixed the potential major problem! And, I saved the anchor. How right? I won't go into detail, but I can say this, thank goodness for the swim platform on the back of boat!! Or, I could of been a statistic. :eek:oooh: (and to think, I was going to purchase a second anchor as a back up! - but was in a hurry!) Only one time it takes to let your guard down! I will be purchasing a second anchor TONIGHT! (If I cut the anchor line, then no anchor, and what if the propeller was locked from the line being wrappend around the propeller? Then I have nothing, no motor or 2nd anchor? I know, it was a situation!)

3rd. Only one bite! At 4:30 am. (yes, I like to stay out all night)

4th. A lot of junk in the water right now, logs, etc...

5th. I get back to the dock at 6:30 a.m. AND guess what? (ramp below Alton Dam) The water is lower than when I put the boat in the water 10 hours earlier! :eek:oooh: Now I was panicking! LOL. :big_smile: WTF! Mud up to my shins! And, the ramp was mud, almost to my knees! I backed the truck down and the muddy ruts were halfway up my wheels! No joke. I thought I'd never pull it out! JUST enough water to cover my trailer tires and get the boat on....AND Yes, I was in the water, wet, etc.... ridiculous! I engaged 4x4 and at first it didn't move! Then I began a series of rockiing the boat back and forth and I pulled it out! I kid u not, if you saw what I pulled out of, you would never think it could be done, seriously! I was panicking.

When I had my old boat, that was on of the worst ramps, and I don't know why I went there. But, I like that area!

So, after all that, u'd think I was ready to throw in the towel, right! Nope! Who wants to go fishing tomorrow afternoon / night! :big_smile: I am ready to get back out there! lol.

Where is everyone getting bait?

Attached Files:

2. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Man, I feel your pain. Part of the reason your experiencing the water level changes, is because their working on L&D25. We've been having 3 to 5 ft changes in the water level in just hours here. Their working on the flood gates and I guess they have to open and close them to get to whatever parts are in need of repair.

3. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Hey I hear that there is a guy who fishes Alton all the time just for the life of me cant remember his name check out the Mel Price to Chain of Rocks and the bait section under Alton skip-jack tread it may help and o ya see you up that way tomorrow

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'll be in that area fishing Saturday day. Starting off at Columbia Bottoms but will work my way to the dam area at some point.

Sorry about your run of bad luck. Learn from it and move on.

Good Luck! Wondering how the bite will be with the falling water?

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    sorry about your bad luck. Better luck next time.

6. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    I do better at Alton with a slow fall

7. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    thats a good story. darn the bad luck tho. all in all thats what i like to call good times.:big_smile:

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    As far as bait goes, you should almost always be able to get asians to jump in the boat over on the Illinois side by the aux lock, they are GREAT bait. Mooneyes by the barges IF they are there.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT story! With all them nutrolls, you should be a welcome member of the Gateway Catfishing Club! We ALL have 'em. Sounds like you handled the situation quite well. Reps out to ya!

Bill in SC

10. driftin blues

driftin blues New Member

State:
    mo
    Get an anchor lift from iron pacific, great product. aren't you the one with the brand new Hughescraft? Awesome boat bye the way. Good luck on your future outings, always a good idea to carry some frozen bait from last time as insurance in case the cast net is comin up a little too light, if you know what I mean. good luck out there.

11. free agent

free agent New Member

State:
    Indy/ Living in STL MO.
    Smokinb I catch my bait at creve couer lake shad that is the lake is full of them. If you know where that is?

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The worst that can happen will lol. Catch bait before hand rule 2 take it as it comes lol. I could lamant on my severl disasters, it happens bro. Best to have a cell phone in case of the worst. Or a winch on the truck lol :smile2:
    Good to know ya safe and sound. Just check the nav levels and ues em time and exp will help ya out :wink:. Lol At least ya wasent usen a winch to pull ya boat and trailer out ---- some days I wonder if its worth it. I smile and remember Iraq and just roll with it. All in the name of catfish monsters beware. lol we never give up never give in till we got a monster on the deck.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I just have one thought pop into my head. "sounds like you where fishing by your self" How do you expect to idle forward and pick up the anchor rope at the same time / fast enough with out it getting under the boat first? Sorry just had to ask. Guess I just man up and pull my boat by hand to the anchor while gathering the rope... :smile2:

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I've been in enough current plenty of times where you ain't pulling a 20' boat upstream by yourself without a little motor assistance.....impossible. Although I have a quick cleat and only give enough throttle to creep upstream. If the rope EVER started under I tie it off quick and get back to cut the throttle. Fairly safe manuever if done properly.

Or else buy an anchor buoy/lift/ball!:wink:

15. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Crazy,

That is a fair question:

In my old boat (SeaArk 18', Yam 50), I could idle very slightly, just faster than the current and keep up with pulling the rope in. In fact, I had it down to a science. At the end of the rope, I used the boat - motoring/momentum to apply pressure and pull the anchor loose. (7 - 8 years ago)

On my new boat, 1st time pulling the anchor and my idle was to fast, or possible the slowest idle it'll go? I kept pulling the rope and got behind, and didn't take action soon enough to stop and kill the motor until I could catch up. at the same time, I wanted to keep the momentum going. So, part of the problem was a learning curve with me new boat, and also a bit rusty, as I haven't had a boat in several years.

The third, fourth and fifth time pulling the anchor I found I can just pull myself in without motor power. But, I am having a heck of a time if the depths are approx. 12' - 15' plus. The boat will get over the top of the anchor and nothing will happen, not enough angle, or something to bust it loose. Anyway, just exploring my options so I don't bust my back. I had lower back surgery 7 years ago (age 35) and don't want to go through that again. Best thing I ever did to have surgery, but don't want to blow out another disc.