New boat needing help with do's and don't

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by merlin6988, Nov 30, 2007.

1. merlin6988

merlin6988 Guest

My wonderful wife just bought me a Alumacraft 1232 flat bottom jon boat, although she meant really well in doing so I'm not sure if I can do anything with it. It is a bit tippy to say the least, I'm 230#,and with my gear fishfinder, trolling motor and cooler, it's possibly a total wieght of 300# give or take a few. When I shift my wieght the boat wants to follow. I was looking at something wider when I told her I wanted one for fishing the lakes out here, but I failed to give her exact specs. on what I really wanted. I geuss my question is, would it even be worth it to add a 1/4 inch diamond plate floor and a live well or does anyone have any good ideas that I could use to make this a better rig? I can't sell it or buy a new one for a long while, it would crush her cause she thinks she got me exactly what I wanted.Any feed back would be great, thanks

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Not sure how to handle that one. You surely don't want to hurt her feelings but you need a boat that will be safe.

Good luck on your delicate situation and welcome to the BOC!

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    just be careful. Take her out one time with you when u have less gear on board. She will probably come up with the idea of getting a bigger boat then. This is how i convinced my wife that the bass tracker was not quite the right boat for me.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ok, this is just a suggestion but i have seen it done. you can add outriggers to it to make it more stable. i am not gaurantying it will work, but i know people that have done it and it works for them. the ones i am attaching are just an example.
    http://www.storerboatplans.com/Canoebits/canoeoutriggers.html

5. merlin6988

merlin6988 Guest

I actually tried that...... she had so much fun fishing from the middle of the lake. When she caught her first Trout, a rainbow 23 inches long and around 2.5#-3# she was hooked and wants to go again this weekend if the weather holds.
    Like I said....... I'm stuck.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    look on the bright side, u have a good wife that likes to fish, a boat, and u know where to go to catch some good trout. Just smile, fish, and be safe.

7. merlin6988

merlin6988 Guest

I wouldn't trade her for the world, we just celebrated our 10 year anniversary and she took me to Lake Powell and rented a house boat for 7 day's of R&R and fishing. I just wanted to make this a better rig without wieghing it down and to make it more comfortable to fish from with a few amentities like in the bigger boats. I'm not to sure of my options cause all the post's and pictures I've seen of stuff I'd like to do to mine are in bigger boats.

8. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Welcome to the BOC. Keep it for a year then do like a computer say you need to upgrade.It would be interesting seeing it with outriggers.

9. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC Merlin. Anytime a wife buys something for you and she thinks she has done good it is a touchy situation. I would probably do whatever to it to make it as comfortable as possible and use it for a year or two and keep on the lookout for a 14' or 16' with a 48" bottom. You could always say you have more stuff you need than what the current one will handle. Good luck in any decision you make. I don't envy you since this is a tough call to make.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You should be able to easily fabricate a holder which will hold some thin wall, 4 inch diameter, pvc pipe (with end caps). These sealed units would add a lot of buoyancy to the boat, make it slightly wider, not weigh much, and provide a far more comfortable margin of safety than you have now. You could also fabricate a small raft you can tow behind the boat with bulky stuff like a cooler, live well, etc.

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    All I can say is thats a good woman you have there...

12. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Worked for me I went from a terry bass with a 75 johnson to a cajun with a 140 evinrude 2 livewells a bait well built in cooler an a bimi top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    John,
    What i might try in your situation is to use the boat you have for awhile, making it as good as you can for the time being.Then you might approach this to her as it being your fault that the boat does not fit your needs because you didnt exactly tell her what size to get or what you needed. Anyway you can make her think this was your fault, the better for you both. I know this is a touchy area for you due to her wanting to surprise you with it. Its just something to think about. rspd507

14. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    First off you are a lucky man. Congrats on the boat.

Keep the small boat for small bodies of water. Sounds like it is a perfect one man trout boat for the small lakes and ponds. After several trips out your wife will be able to see how a larger boat would be both more useful and safer.
    Did she by the boat new? Do you have a lot invested? Is it worth a lot as far as trade in value on a different boat?
    If the answers to these questions are no than I would keep the boat and look around for a larger boat for two people. There is nothing wrong with having two or more boats if the budget and wife will allow it.:big_smile:
    If the answer to these questions is yes than you may have a problem unless you can convince your wife otherwise..:eek:oooh:

My first boat several years ago was a 15ft tracker. I am a big man and most of my friends are big men. Two of us in that boat looked like two hippos floating in a five gallon bucket.:smile2: I needed something bigger and safer. It wasn't until several years later before I bought a different boat. My next boat was a 15 ft bass master. It wasn't any longer but it was much wider and twice the boat of the first tracker. It wasn't long before I wanted something bigger. Then came a 17ft tracker that I still have. That is a great one person boat but it is a little narrow. It works great for just myself or when my son is along for the trip. We have bought a couple of other boats since I bought the 17 ft tracker. Each purchase being a larger boat than the last one. Even in the 20 ft I just bought, I am having a hard time finding enough room for everything I "want".
    The point to all this is we can make it work with what we have if we try hard enough. It does not matter what size (big or small), how fast, how pretty, or how perfect. We (as men) will always want something different when it comes to our toys. Some men are that way with women. I just tell my wife to be thankful I am only that way with my toys.:eek:oooh::smile2::crazy:

15. merlin6988

merlin6988 Guest

My wife asked me last night if we could take the kids with us this weekend(ones 5 and the other 2). I had to break down and tell her that the boat is great for just one or two people, but with the gear and the added wieght and my kids like to move around alot it wouldn't be safe. So when my house sales(hopefully closes in 30 days) she said we could go together and check out other boats that would work for us as a family cause all four of us like to fish. We take 7-8 camping/fishing trips a year as a family and she decided that we could use another boat for that and I could keep the 12 footer for my solo trips.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My only advice is if its tipsy now, dont do a thing to it to raise the center of gravity other then put people in it.

17. merlin6988

merlin6988 Guest

One more question............ Would 1/4" diamond plate as a floor and side walls make it too heavy?

18. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    YES! on the plate

You have a touchy situation there.Please wear proper life jackets properly adjusted.You have a good one man boat to get in hard to get to sheltered waters with little gear.Using it for anything else could very well end up in a tragedy.Use it wisely as it was made to be used.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.Peewee

19. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Tell her that as much as you love the Boat that you are forced into something larger so the kids will be safe. Thats what the Politicians say isn't it? For the children. If you have to spin something, follow the leaders.

It's not a bad idea either.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My rule of thumb on a small boat, dont add anything to it that doesnt float.
    When it goes over, you want plenty of oppertunities for something to grab hold to.

It is what it is. I wouldnt spend too much time and money trying to make it something that its not.

Getting on the water is the main thing. If the family likes the water, I'm sure there will be oppertunity around the corner for something bigger.
    When we want something we tend to make things happen.

I have a 10 foot jon that is a 1962 Sears model. Its been to hades and back atleast a dozen times. Its had a front deck put on it and carpet put in it.
    The best configuration I've found for it is the stock configuration.
    There hasnt been another jon as well used as this one.
    My dad got it back in '62 and I took it over in the 80's. Its been dragged in and out of ponds and lakes so much over the years the ribs have worn through at the back of the boat.
    Its had numerous bullet holes welded over in its floors from those frog gigging trips and mocassin invasions.
    Those small jon boats are memory makers. Memories that last for generations.