New Boat Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by SmokinBarrel, Sep 16, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    As I approach the 1st 20 hours on the new boat motor (Yam 150 4-stroke), I was told that I would need to get an oil pump in order to change the oil? If so, any thoughts on what I should use? Also, I suppose it is good to change the oil filter as well?

And, regarding the lower unit fluid, I can get an inexpensive "quart" pump for that, correct?

Any additional tips you can give as I begin my yearly maintenance plan?

2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i personally dont know but i got a buddy on here goes by ss minner u might hit him up hes pretty good with that kinda thing

3. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you haven't done the 10 hour service on the motor then you really need to do this. This is very important I understand.

Having the oil changed at a dealer is tooooooo expensive. The oil and materials to change the oil and the lower unit oil will run about $80 for just materials (on my 115 4 stroke Merc). Or you could pay a dealer about $150 to do it for you. I refuse to pay the dealer to change the oil. It is very easy to do. Just make sure you have a pan for the oil ready once you remove the plug (oil will shoot out of there really fast and can make a big mess in a hurry).

Good luck with the new boat.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep that cheap quart pump is the easy way to add new lower unit oil. Yep other then that drain the oil and change the oil filter is all you have to do.