New boat & lost anchor

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by nosnag, Nov 2, 2005.

1. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Went back to the Suwannee for a day of fishing and to break in my sons' new boat.18' walk thru w/120 Suzuki 4 stroke. Just had to get the new smell off of it by using some Super Sticky. :rolleyes: Checked out a couple of holes for Channels but only caught three decent fish. Tried cut bait but they were'nt interested. Just wanted the dip bait. Caught around 30 smallies between 6" to 12". More Black Cats than Channels.
    Last stop the new river anchor got caught up under a limerock ledge. Spent around 20 minutes trying to free it till it was cut off by the ledge. :cursing: Off to Wal-Mart for another today. I guess it is an official fishing boat now. Did discover one thing tho. We traveled 37 miles of river to go the same spot that was only 4.7 miles by land.Talk about wandering rivers. Looped back three times.
    Came home to find that my boat trailer was finally delivered. Guess I'll spend part of the day today putting it together.Now that it is easier to be more mobile, I'll start checking out other water in the area. Maybe see some of you guys on the water.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    nosnag,
    try attaching you anchor line to the bottom of the anchor and then tie the line to the regular place with a thin zip tie or some cord that will break under a haed pull. When the anchor snags and you pull real hard the cord or zip tie breaks and then the anchor can be pulled out of the snag backwards...W

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    There are several anchors that will achieve that effect for you.At Santee the common one is a grappling hook type anchor often called "Wreck" anchors by the saltwater guys that fish over wrecks a lot.It simply has a hook or ring at the bottom to which you attach your rope then run it up the shaft and secure it with plastic ties as described previously.Another version available from West Marine and other boat stores is the same grappling hook anchor but the individual hooks are made of a soft metal so that when you pull hard enough they straighten out.One that I have had good luck with is the CHENE anchor available from Cabelas and others.It simply has a sliding ring to which you attach your rope.when it gets stuck you get right over it and give slack which allows your rope to slide to the bottom of the anchor and then you can pull it out in reverse.It may take a few attempts but I have never lost one yet.I anchor the front with a grapple anchor and the back with a chene.Perhaps one of our BOC brothers would do us a service and post pictures of the different types.

4. Stump Bumper

Stump Bumper Guest

Jim, I got a picture of the anchor we use but I can't figure out how to srink it down enough to post????....Ray

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Ray see the thread here today by Gone fishing for kittys.Or send the picture to him and he can post it for you.Whistler can also help.

6. Stump Bumper

Stump Bumper Guest

I'll try to post the picture if I can?....Ray

Attached Files:

7. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for the info guys. I used to use a dansforth anchor in L.I. Sound. That has the slide feature on it too_Only lost one out there and that was because I was too close to exposed rocks to let me manuver the boat. This time we were cut into the limestone ledge so we cut the rope just by manuvering the boat.Even a second rope would have been caught in the groove I think.We had up and down movement on the anchor but could'nt figure just what way to go to reverse the way it went into the groove.
    I'm thinking of making a grappling style anchor with rebar that will straighten out under pressure. Most of the river is mud bottom but some of the outer curves are undercut limestone ledge. I like to fish these areas because they are natural cavelike structure with dark shade and slower current. Fish hold to the spots even mid-day. Question: Do you have any good ideas on making a good brush clamp to tie onto exposed brushpiles? I want to use one on my 12 foot boat fishing the logjambs. Again , thank you for your input. BILL

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have heard folks use the clamps from a set of jumper cables and I assume they mean the more expensive ones which have a much better grip.You can probably find some at a yard sale.

9. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This is posted for stump bumper , He will explain this too you on a post below.

Notice the zip-tie holding the rope against the anchor arm eye at the top​