Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

New Boat issues...

962 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  thegavel 
#1 ·
Went crazy and got my first boat yesterday. Nice little 2003 Sun Dolphin 12 ft jon boat with a trailer and trolling motor. It will do nice for what I want it for.

Having a couple of issues though and starting to get a little frusterated!

Wiring harness on the trailer was messed up so I put a new adapter on the trailor side. Ended up draining the battery on my truck instantly. Jumped the truck and she is back up and running.

My problem is that there are 5 wires coming off of the trailer instead of the normal 4.

I have White, brown/green, brown/yellow, green, and yellow.

Anyone know how I could wire this into the standard 4 wire harness effectively?

Thanks brothers and sisters... looking forward to getting on the water again soon!

#2 ·
bass pro shop sells an adapter that will change it for about 7 bucks. but if it is already cut then might as well match truck. I think extra wire is a ground wire. a 4 wire plug grounds thru hitch. but will work fine if wired corectly. I guess you checked for problems on trailer lights? problems on both plugs might also point to pinched or shorted wire closer to lights.

#3 ·
oh, I didnt say how it wires. lol Mark will know better than me but on 4 wire plug... 2 wires from each light one each is bright for brake and other dim for tail lights. no ground. the ground is attached at the light to the trailer. it grounds when you hook trailer to truck.

5 wire plug has same but 5th wire is a common ground for both left and right light.
I'm not electrican so if sombody tells different I will learn something to.

#4 ·
I believe your wiring should be as follows...

The green is your right turn signal, the brown/green is for your brake lights on the right side. The yellow is left turn signal and the brown/yellow is for the left brake lights. The white is a ground.

The newer vehicles require a converter to hook the trailer lights to the vehicle. If you don't use the converter, you loose, (I believe it was) the brake lights. As stated, the converter is available at auto parts store. I paid about $15.00 for mine, with the tax.

#5 ·
Thanks for posting guys. I thought for a minute I was going to go insane. Come to find out the wiring harness I bought had a short in it, I took it back and bought a little nicer one and I am ready to rock and roll!

Fish better be afraid!

#6 ·
On my Nissan truck(1995) I have 5 wires. The red wire is for brake lights. I had to buy an adapter at Wal-mart for about 8 bucks that you wire in, and it converts to a 4 wire hookup. Only reason I know this is last weekend I had to put on a new plug, and I bought a 4 wire first, didn't have no brake lights. If your not sure. take a test light and have someone help you check them.

#8 ·
My trailer hook up actually had 6 wires running from it. the brown was split into 2 wires and then the ground.

Best advice I have learned. LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH IN THE DAYLIGHT NOT THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.