New boat having trouble getting it to plane

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Malichi1970, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    This spring we bought a '06 Tracker ProV 17 with a 60 horse 4 stroke Mercury. It will plane out with just the two of us in the boat, but very slowly. If I have the kids with us it doesn't seem to come up out of the water at all (except for the front end). Was just wondering if there was anything I could do to help it out.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Couple of things that come to mind are a Whale Tale or Dol Phin, and move the weight forward. Also check the trim of the engine. It should be all the way down to begin then trimmed up for fine tuning high speed and stability.

Good Luck

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Man, that 60 horse should plane that thing off no problem. I do know on my Yamaha, when you want to trim it down, it seems like it takes forever for it to trim all the way down past the tilt position. But if you don't do it, the boat won't plane off very fast either. I would just make sure it is trimmed down all the way to your stop. If you have an adjustable stop, move it down another notch or something.

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    What's you top speed and at what RPM? You may not have the optimum prop pitch for that boat/engine combo.

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    The fastest I've ever had it going is with just the 2 of us in the boat and I was able to get it up to about 28mph maxed out at 4000rpms. The prop is a 12x22 (thats what it says on the motor anyway). With a full tank of gas (30 gallon tank) it seems to top out around 24mph (this is with the speedometer on the boat)

I've learned the trim thing and start out with it all the way down and then trim it up just a bit after it gets up on plane. I was wondering about a whale tail, so they really help?

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That ain't right. If you're truly at Wide Open Throttle and your tach is on the right pole setting and only maxing out at 4000 RPM's, that's not good for your engine at all. Your WOT RPM range should be listed on your engine serial number plate but should be somewhere between 5000-5500 RPM's. If that's the correct range for your motor AND your prop is really a 22 pitch, you need to drop down to about a 16 pitch. Which will give you more hole shot as well. Check the numbers on that prop and make sure you have a 22 and if so and it were me, I'd get a different one for sure. But that's just my 2 cents worth.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Michael a Whale Tail will help you. It sounds like you are doing it right. After you are on plain, keep triming up until you are just skimming the water. Open the throtle and re adjust your trim up and down for your total boat control. If that boat is balanced out it should run in the 40's mph.:lol::big_smile:

8. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    If you are referring to a 2006 60 HP four stroke Mercury EFI your WOT should be between 5500 and 6000 RPM's.

That may be your problem

Your top speed at WOT should almost twice 24 MPH.

9. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yes, that's the motor so how do I get the RPM's up higher? Is there an adjustment for that, it seems like the throttle goes forward about 1/2-2/3 of the way before it starts to accelerate?

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If you bought that boat/motor brand new from BPS, take it back, and make them fix the problem, whatever it is. It could be the wrong prop, or there could be a problem with the motor that keeps it from developing full power. You shouldn't have to add any after-market devices to get reasonable performance.

Either way, it's not right, and should be corrected by the seller.

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i am thinking you have the wrong prop on there. it sounds like its the wrong pitch for your boat. i dont think its your trim because iff it was your baot would popoise more than it would have problems coming out of the water. check with the local dealer and see if they have the spec on the correct prop and seriously think about replacing it.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You have the wrong prop and pitch without question.Go to this website
    www.turningpointpropellers.com enter your information and it will give you a good recommendation.Go back to your dealer and swap with him.You ARE going to Damage the engine if you continue to lug it down like that.Have your tach checked also but I suspect it is correct.I had a 50 hp and I think my prop was a 13x17 on a 17 ft boat and it did 36mph WOT.:smile2:

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just checked the website and it gives 12x 10 dia & pitch so you are 12 inches of pitch over the recomendation.Generally if I remember right you gain 100-200 rpm for every inch of pitch you drop.So if we split the difference and say 150 you will then be at 5800rpm or right in the ballpark:big_smile:

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Granted the pitch of the prop is way to high in my opinion but then again its a four stroke so I really don't know.
    My question is has this motor had the compression checked lately or is it fireing on all cylinders.

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    It's brand new, this is the prop that was manufactured with the motor. It was a 2006 that had never been in the water when we bought it in the spring of this year. I'll call the dealer it's under warranty, but was just checking if there is anything that any of you all knew that could be wrong before taking back and having them look at it.

16. bpalmer1951

bpalmer1951 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If the pitch on your prop is 22 inches then that is too big for the motor. Pitch is defined as the forward movement for each revolution of the prop. The higher the pitch the more HP it takes to maintain the RPM. IMO you have to much pitch in your prop for your motor and boat. I own a 110 HP on a 19ft Hurricane deck boat and the pitch on that prop is 19 inches and full throttle RPM is 5900.

17. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Ain't no boat mechanic, but I think that the problem may be as simple as a bad throttle cable. No matter what type of vehicle you're in, you should have better throttle response. Would you drive a car where you have to give it 75% gas before it'll start moving??? Have the dealer check the cable first. I'll lay odds that's the problem.

Will

18. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thats my thoughts as well....I was thinking it was the throttle cable. I've got a call into the dealer hopefully I'll find out something tomorrow.

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    How many people have to tell you it's your prop? Before you go and tell your dealer you have the wrong prop. You need to go do a little research on props. Look at a prop like a tire on a car. Takes more power to turn a big tire then a little one. Hmm could that be your half throttle befor e you start to really move? 22in pitch and a 60hp don't jive man. But all that is up to you more then one person has given you the same answer it's up to you what you do with it.

20. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    When I talked to the dealer today we made an appointment to bring it in for him to look at. I asked about the prop and he told me I was reading the wrong thing, the 12x22 thats printed on the motor right above the prop isn't the prop size and pitch it's something else. The prop size is on the prop itself and it's not possible for it to be a 22 pitch. He thinks it's either the throttle cable or a problem with the motor itself, maybe a bad plug. He said it should top out around 6000rpm's. So if all I'm getting is around 4000 that I wasn't even close to getting it to top speed, so getting it to plane is gonna be tough. Anyway, I'll take it on on Monday and when I find out something I'll let you all know. Thanks to all for your input and hopefully I can get this thing out on the water and back to fishing soon.