New boat buying dilemma....

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by harper81, Jan 27, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Would it be better to get a boat that all ready has everything installed or get a cheaper one that I can customize the way i want it? A member here on the BOC has a boat for sale that all ready has everything most everything I would need. But I just found one on craigslist http://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/1006599951.html that I could build up the way I want. Oh the tough decisions in life....LOL!!!

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, just consider that EVERYTHING you do to your boat COST MONEY. Depth/fish finder, X amount of dollars, rod holders, X amount of dollars, trolling motor, X amount of dollars, etc etc. Heck, even the stainless bolts and nuts I bought today were $6+!!! I assure you that by the time you gather all the stuff you need to outfit your boat, you'll have a pile of money in it. That said, it IS gratifying to rig your own boat, the way you want to do it. Where are you mainly going to be using the boat? I don't think you will be satisfied with a 14 footer too long. Then, it will be back to the drawing board.

Bill in SC

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Harper I dont think you will like that boat either. they tend to rock alot in the water. A good flat bottom would be better in my opinion. are tri hulls out of the question or do you just want an alum. boat?

4. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    i want an aluminum....the wateree river isn't the cleanest river in town....i don't know anything about tri-hulls....are they strong

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    The BOC member that contacted me is Tony...he is at Lake Murray...his is 15'6", 2 fish finders and trolling motor....thats prolly the best bet.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like it. What size engine does it have, and what hull design? You will surely appreciate not being cramped up like you would be in a 14.

Bill in SC

7. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Here is the message he sent me....

i have a 15foot 6inch mod v jon boat for sale. i work at lighthouse marina on lake murray.. comes with a 9.9 johnson motor. 2 quality fish finders and rod holder bases already installed for catfishin.. plus a cabelas tourny series trollin motor. plus a bran new wesco galavanized trailor..i've been tryin to sell it and i'll take 1500 for it.. i don't really have any pics..this boat is here at the marina inside, it also has a live well. the boat is a 1993 and in great shape. it doesn't sit out side, the motor is in my house right now on a motor stand, i'll include that also if your interested let me know. you can fish for anything out of this boat..great cattin boat also..let me know!!!

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like a good deal! I like the "quality" fishfinders comment. Later on, you can upgrade to a 15 or 25hp or so. I like the modified V hull. Sounds like it has been taken care of very well, and probably only seen fresh water use. Keep us posted!

Bill in SC

9. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Will do....should get my tax refund next week hopefully and I can go get it on the weekend.

Oh and nobody please undercut me......my wife gave me a $1500 allowance for this.

10. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    That sounds like a good deal Harper,I had a 16' Rhyan Craft john boat with 25hp mercury before I bought my pontoon,I made many a trip up and down the Wateree river from Lugoff,601,378 on into the old Santee river back in my river fishing days,I mostly lake fish now,but that will make you a great boat for what you need it for.:wink:

11. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I agree with Bill in SC about the gratification of rigging your boat to your own liking/preferences, but personally, I'm the kinda guy who would rather get what I need from the dealer. That way, if anything goes wrong, I can blame it on them. :smile2: I know what you're going through though. I'm looking at a Carolina Skiff 238DLV. But I'm still trying to talk mama into letting me spend the $23K needed for that rig. I can go one of two ways. I can pull the trigger on the boat and she'll pull the trigger on me. OR.....I can downsize, which I'm not wanting to do. I'll take my chances.....:wink: 'Tis better to ask forgiveness than permission.

12. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Another problem with buying a boat that you need to do customization to is time. When you get it, you're going to want to go fishing. You're not going to want to put in the garage or backyard and work on it. And if you start fishing out of it right away, you're going to put off those customizations even longer. By the time you get around to working on it you're going to figure out that you'd be better off buying another boat.... Then your wife is gonna be unhappy...lol

That boat in the ad looks like a lone star, I had a lonestar one time and it is a little unstable at times. A good river and shallow water boat.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I know what you're going through though. I'm looking at a Carolina Skiff 238DLV. But I'm still trying to talk mama into letting me spend the $23K needed for that rig.>

Matt, you don't HAVE to buy a brand new one. You can probably find a GOOD used one for a little more than half that price. NO WAY I would consider spending that kind of money on a new rig when so many folks are in financial trouble and selling their stuff at huge discounts! The search is half the fun in finding a STEAL! :wink::wink::wink:

Bill in SC

14. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bill is right, you can save so much money by buying a used boat. There are so many many good buys out there. You can find a great boat that will look and run like new without having to get a divorce....:eek:oooh:

15. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    harper that sounds like a good deal those motors arent cheap and should be able to ride wateree when the water is running. wont be a screamer but should be ok. be great with little water running. that is what I have been looking for to put in small rivers and the inlet waters at the beach. I would go up there and take a ride in it and try to put a binder on it for him to hold for a few weeks so he doesnt sell it. he hasnt been trying to hard though cause I would think it would sell easy for that price.

16. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Harper, Tony is a great guy and straight forward. If he says its in great shape. You can bet its in great shape and ready to fish.:wink: Also like Marty said, It'll be great for what you need it for.

17. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    the boat i'm offering' for the money i'm asking 'to me is the deal of the century!!!!! especially with the absolute terrible economy..and as of today 9.5% unemployment rate..that is depression era...so anyone looking for a quality mod-v jon boat that has been very, very well taken care of..let me know.. it's completely rigged and ready for cattin......

18. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I still plan on buying it....I just get sidetracked sometimes when I am waiting on money. Should have the cash by next weekend.

19. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I Dare ya! :eek:oooh:

Pop Pop and I found a 20' Sunbird Center Console with a 140hp in GREAT shape for $3290.00! Believe that!! Keep looking...............:wink:

20. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I've tried finding a used one. The problem with that is, Carolina Skiffs have a great reputation for being a dependable boat, in both freshwater and saltwater. Nobody wants to get rid of them. But.....I'll keep trying. :cool2: