New Boat Buyer Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Jedi007, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    I have an opportunity to purchase an older boat as a starter boat. Please look at the attached photos and let me know if anything sticks out to you as a red flag.

It is a 1978 Bass Tracker. The seller is looking for $1,500 for it. I am not even sure what I should be paying for a 1978 boat. I couldn't pull up anything on the 1978 Bass Tracker off of Google.

I want a Bass Tracker. I am not willing to buy a new one at $12,500. I understand this one will take a little work and I am okay with that. I just want to have a second, third, fourth... opinion from some people who most likely know a lot more about boats than I do.

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Looks like it has potential. Fire up the motor and check for obvious damage on the hull. Also check out the floor. Bottom line is even if the boat was in perfect shape ya are gonna change it to suit you any way.LOL! Best of luck to ya.

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Jedi, I just bought a 1988 polar kraft that is almost the exact same boat. It had been sitting in a shed for the last five years, it was real dirty but well worth the 1200.00 that I gave for it.He was asking more but since it had not ran for that long period of time I made him my offer. come to find out in the 10 years he owned it, he used it only 4 for times, but everything still works great. So use your best judgment and second guess anything cause it might cost you a lot more in the run.:0a26:

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    sorry I forgot (DON'T ) . Don't second guess anything. (woops)lol

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    got one suggestion to look at, and it's minor. from looks of picture, been in sun a lot. (faded seat backs and steering wheel) check the hoses and wireing for brittle cracking. sure you will though.
    i'm like you, love trackers.
    gary

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Here is my suggestion Nick. Take your time. Look on craigslist.com, local/internet fishing clubs. A lot of people put work into there boats only to upgrade and now sell there smaller boat. These boats are all ready to go..... I hurried my first boat/only boat. Regret it. A 16 ft. tri-haul. One thing that saved me when I sold it, was the merc motor. It was like new.
    Brings us to the most important.....Motor. What type of water you going to be on? Type of fishing?
    A lot of great advice on here too. I just wish I had more patience. There are some great deals on the interenet that are local as well. What part of S. cal you from? I will keep a look out. I belong to a few clubs that often post such boat 4 sale.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have the exact boat only a 82 instead of 78. They r good boats but will beat u to death on rough waters. What motor does it have? Does the motor run? Ur probably gonna have to replace the plastic in the boat since it is sun rotted ( atleast i had to replace all of mine) and u can not find those anymore. U have to build them or just find other used for their holes. If u need any tips for the work on that boat, PM me and i will pass any info that i have on to u.
    That is 17' Tournament TX right?

8. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    What type of water you going to be on? Most likely only lake fishing. Not really interested in getting an aluminum boat into salt water. Maybe later on down the road some river fishing.

Type of fishing?
    I see myself going after anything that swims in above said waters...

What part of S. cal you from?
    Chino Hills

I will keep a look out. I belong to a few clubs that often post such boat 4 sale.

I appreciate it. As I said before I definitely want a Bass Tracker. I want to stick with an aluminum boat. I like the way they move and I like the fishing square footage. I am not so worry about the age of the boat for a starter boat. I will probably end up wearing it out while I learn.

9. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    What motor does it have?
    I am not sure yet. I will most likely be able to go over and see it in person within the next week or so.

Does the motor run?
    My understanding is that is runs good. Can you tell with the motor being out of the water. Am I just listening for a smooth sounding engine?

Ur probably gonna have to replace the plastic in the boat since it is sun rotted ( atleast i had to replace all of mine) and u can not find those anymore.

What plastic parts are you talking about exactly? All the exposed plastic parts?

That is 17' Tournament TX right? I think so, but I will find out for sure.

Thanks, again.

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    when u get to look at that boat really close u will see what i am talking about. behind both "riding" seats there is a storage compartment. they are made of plastic. It is rivited down to some aluminum and it gets brittle with age. combine that with the ride that the bass trackers have and it cracks out all around the rivits and when u drill more holes for new rivits they crack out the first run. I just let mine ride with no rivits and use the box's like removable storage.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i'm thinking he's refering to the plastics as the seats, dash, ect. as for the motor, don't even think of buying unless you can get it into a lake and try it out first. check for leaks, does it run smooth, straight, is the motor missing or surging? just few things to look for. another thought if you can, see if you can take someone along that knows about boats and will be a neutral party.
    i went with a friend when he looked at a boat. told him not to get it. he didn't and another guy did. it lasted about 3 months and had to rewire whole boat and get motor worked on.
    gary

12. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    It looks like a lot of boat for the money. Do NOT run that motor very long unless it's in the water (water pumps are a pain). As others have said, you really need to take a test ride. Remember==="A boat is a hole in the water,that you try to fill with money"!

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I cant tell to well from the pictures but it looks like there are some dents in the side of the boat,that you might want to have checked out.Before you buy, and that is a good price, check the engine thoroughly.Look at the skeg is it damaged,broken off??? Paint missing is no big deal but if its broken it didnt get that way because it was taken care of.Is the prop in good shape?If it has any serious dings or chunks knocked out you will need to have that fixed.Ask if he has a spare prop.Again if the prop is damaged and the skeg broken that engine has hit something hard and you cant see damage to shafts etc.Do not run the engine at ALL without a water source!!! Do not run the engine without replacing the fuel.Pull a tire off that trailer and take a look at the hub to see if it has grease,look at the tires also are they dry rotted,has the boat been sitting there for a long period of time without the tires being rotated?If you can put the boat in the water, to check for leaks.Check all the electriacl functions like lights both on the boat and on the trailer.If things dont work ask that they be fixed or the price reduced accordingly.Look at the trailer winch and coupler.Lots of rust?? Cable or winch strap frayed ,broken? If so again ask for adjustment.Look under the boat,to see if there are any large dents or potential leaks also look at the trailer bunks up close,are they rotted,? is the carpet torn and frayed etc.Make a list of everything that will have to be repaired or replaced and bargain with it.:smile2: