New Boat battery recommendations

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Boogan1, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Hi Guys,
    I bought my boat late last summer, the last time out the starting battery gave me trouble, took it to Walmart where it was purchased, it is one of the more expensive excides, and they told me it was 6 years old and out of warranty. I haven't checked the dates on the trolling motor batteries (24 volt), but was told when I bought the boat that they were 2 years old. I need to replace the starting battery and possibly the trollers. What battery do you all recommend that gives good service but won't break the bank, I know everyone is going to say optima's but I just can't afford 180 bucks for a battery. What else is good out there, I wouldn't mind having to spend 60-80 on one. The starting battery I have now is a 24 series but I probably have room for a 27. I am cranking a 110 evinrude 4cyl. Thanks for the input, Boog

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    What ever you get, just make sure you get Deeo Cycle batteries. Not sure what I have, have to take a look. Also get a good charger. One that you came leave hooked up. That way your batteries will always be ready to go. A good charger is an investment Spend the bucks, you won't regret it.Trust me. ;)

3. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    If you're looking for most bang for the buck, Go to local auto parts chain store. I used a Autozone marine starting battery and the biggest deep cycle they sold for around 3 years with no problems period.
    The big deep cycle is around $80.00 You can buy better,but these are good if you're on a budget.
    Make sure to use a "starting battery" for cranking and deep cycle for all the other items.

4. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Ok, for the money you wanna spend, get the biggest battery you can buy for your money dude. Meaning, get a group 31 series battery. You can get a group 31 starting battery for your main engine ; and you can get a group 31 deep cycle for your trolling motor. Get the bigger battery. You will have more for turning your engine over and you will have more on the deep cycle one for your trolling motor. Do not get a smaller battery ; ever. Trust me, you will be glad you have the extra juice in that one situation when you really need it.

5. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    have had great luck with the duralast batteries from autozone.the one in my old truck can sit for 6 months and start right up and its 8 years old. had the one for my trolling motor for 2 years with no complaints.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have found medical use batterys to outlast every boat battery I have tried.

Go to your local medical supply company that sells electric wheel chairs. and ask for gel cell batterys. Tell him they are not for medical use and that you need a good cash price. The same battery that powers my wheel chair is billed to my insurance at $210.00 each, my chair uses 2. For fishing he sells me 2 batterys for $100.00, I mean 50 dollars each, no paper work, cash.
    it's worth a try.

They are so good I would pay 200 for them before I would pay 100 for a marine battery.

They last forever the insides are real thick and can handle the banging they get in a boat. You will not believe how long between charges.

good luck

Danny

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Danny, that sounds like a great idea.
    Anything or name that I' ned to ask for,besides 12 volt?

8. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    HELLO??? Someone got 6 years of service out of that Walmart battery. Does that tell you something?

Get your ass back to Walmart and get another battery!

9. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Danny,

That is something I will have to look at! Thanks for advice.

Paul

10. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    The gel batteries you don't have to worry about leakage or spillage. A buddy of mine uses one in a canoe. he has dumped it in the water several times. The battery is sealed and doesn't let any acid out or contaiments in. It isn't as big and runs for a long time between charges.

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The decal on my battery reads as follows

MK POWERED

Distributed by MK battery
    1645 S. Sinclair St.
    Anaheim, CA, 92806

I can't say enough about these batteries, even before getting my fishing boat I used these batteries on a 28 foot pontoon and could troll for miles.

Guys. I get many things wrong but here is what I learned about trolling motors. I see no reason to ever have anything more than a 12 volt motor.
    I believe most will be surprised to find out it is not the volts that moves your boat. just as with your big motor it's more about the prop, . 24 or 36 volts does not turn your prop faster to move your boat faster. It is all hype to get up to spend more money. my 36 pound thurst 12 volt will push my 18.5 boat faster than many 24 or 36 volt motors. the thurst is provided by the prop not the volts. You will have to turn to after market props or get one made but you can get 60 to 100 pounds of thurst from the cheapest of 12 volt motors if the power is transfred properly and unless you get carried away you won't tell any difference on your recharge rate.

I could be wrong.

Danny

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Supposedly the way it’s designed to work is. You’re battery’s are going to last longer if you have a 24 volt system over a 12 and a 36 volt system over a 24. Having 3 battery’s you are going to draw lower amps to power your trolling motor. Which in turns gives you more time on the water. I’m sure the prop has a lot to do with it. I’m just skeptical of thinking that a bigger electric motor can be outdone by a smaller one. Then again I never been a passenger of a 36 volt system. As for props on big motors. I have a couple different pitches and they run the same. Ok so it's only a 50hp motor but still. I don't think I'm ever going to pass a 90hp motor.