New boat a piece at a time...

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by paleocaver, Jan 4, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I am wanting to upgrade my current rig. It's a 1448 Alumacraft that is just fine for a lot of situations but the stretch of river I fish now is a litttle wider, swifter and windier, not to mention my wife and son are getting into it more. I am wanting a mod-v 1756 (not sure which brand yet). I have a 25hp Yahama on my current rig - it's a very strong, well maintained motor. I don't want to go in debt so I though about buying the boat, then saving for a year or so and then getting the motor (most in that class are rated for up to 50 hp). Oh, I will keep it a tiller drive, to save room.

My question is: Will my little 25 hp be OK for a while on the larger boat. I know it won't be anywhere near as fast but I figured it like this - the difference in hull weight is about 250 lbs which is like adding a third person. I don't really care how fast I get there, but I'd like for the boat to at least plane out. What do you think. Anyone here running a 17-footer with a 20-30 hp motor?

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't know if this will help you or not but I run a 1654 John with a 40 hp jet probably equal to your 25 and it does just fine. Never checked speed but probably 20-25 mph.

Good Luck

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had a 16' flat boat with a 25 hp evinrude/johnson ( 1984), and it did everything I wanted it to do, I could have 3 large adults 200 plus, and it would come on plane nicely. You can also change your prop, for more power or speed, I used to change props depending upon the load. My average speed was in the 25-30 mph range.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you'll be fine. only thing you have to worry about is the depth of the transom, and if your motor is a short/or long shaft. you'll burn up a motor if you have a short shaft on a long transom. you can use a long shaft on a short transom but you'll hit bottom a lot sooner and will loose speed.

5. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    That's a good thing to remember. How is the shaft measured? My current boat has a 17-18" deep transom (measured this morning) and my motor shaft hangs down quite a bit further, but how do I determine if it's a long shaft or not?

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    The cavatation plates which are the flat edges that stick out each side of the lower unit and just a little on top of the prop should be in line with the bottom of the boat, an inch either way is not important, but if you want the best performance the cavatation plates should be even with the bottom of the boat. I ran into this problem last year on the 16 footer I had. I had a short shaft boat, with a long shaft motor, I actually built up the transom, and although it did work, I never was satisfied with it and had plans to change the motor to a short shaft, and return the boat back to original condition. One thing I noticed before I did all of this was how the boat handled planing, and weight distribution, it just wasn't right, so I got an education from the guys at the boat store, and I looked at a lot of different ones just to make sure somebody was'nt fooling with me, and when I finally got everything lined up, it worked like a champ, it ran so well the guy I bought it from wanted it back.lol

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I think from the cavatation plates to where the top of the transom would be on the motor is 18" for a long shaft and 16" for a short shaft. I could be wrong, I'll go out and measure my motor.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I did the same thing. I had a Yamaha 25 hp 4-stroke motor that was 2 years old. And it was on a 1452 john. Bought a 1754 War-Eagle. It does ok on the boat. But a 40 or 50 Hp tiller motor would be better.
    But like you I did it. And still run it 2 years later. Gets the boat out of the hole good. Even with 2 big people in it.
    So yes it will work. And the boat I have has the full floor in it. And a 6ft gun box. Not a light boat.
    Good luck and enjoy the fun., I will upgrade to a bigger motor if and when I ever wear this 25 out. but dought that will be anytime soon.

PEte

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Outboard shafts are pretty standard! A short shaft is 15 inches, a long shaft is 20 inches and extra long (for sail boats) is 25 inches!