New Boat – Lowe AN165DC

Discussion in 'Boating' started by GaryF, May 19, 2008.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I’ve been looking at boats for several years, but it’s been a tough decision. One of my requirements was something that would fit in the garage, which limits the size. No 24’ Sea Arks for me :sad2:, and a 17’ jon boat looks awfully small when you start thinking about anchored fishing with 2 people in some of the bigger rivers I ran across this Lowe model, which has a forward sitting console, small front deck, and lots of open space in the rear of the boat. It’s a 16.5’ vee bottom boat that actually looks workable for my needs.

The boat was ordered in early February, and I was able to finally take it home on May 1. I guess it takes that long to empty all those beer cans required for the hull, which is made from .100 thickness aluminum. I went for the dual console and walk through windshield, along with the stand up top and side and aft curtains to make a full enclosure.

I also opted for a 60hp 4 stroke Mercury. Max engine on this boat is 75hp, but there was a pretty big weight penalty in going from 60hp (240lbs) to 75hp (375-400lbs), so I went for the 60 with no regrets. And it sure runs quiet. The honest top speed is around 35mph, and I’ve seen it hit 40 going downstream with a tailwind. Not the fastest boat out there, but about what I expected and it meets my needs pretty well. The vee bottom rides well, cutting nicely through waves and wakes, but I give up a little bit of shallow running capability as a trade off.

The boat has a pretty good amount of storage. It doesn’t have a baitwell, which might be a turnoff for some folks. I’m ok with just using buckets and my home made shad tank. For a tournament livewell, I’ve got a 40 gallon portable livewell that sits nicely along one of the sides or next to the transom. In between tournaments it stays at home.

It’s working out great so far, now I just have to figure out how to catch fish from a boat. You can see a few pictures here, just click on the thumbnails for a bigger version:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh271/garyf_bucket/Lowe/

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Gary,
    Congrats on the new boat and thanks for sharing the pics / info with us. That boat sure does look bigger than 16.5'. I really like the lay out and especially the top. Very nice and congrats again.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Congrats, On the new boat and good luck.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Nice!

That top looks like a guy my size (6-0) could actually stand up under it.

Gratz!

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    congrats on a nice boat.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Congrats on the new boat. Looks like a great set up. I love the layout of them with the room, I have not seen another 16.5 that has the room like they do.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Ben Clumsky and Gary broke in the boat pretty well at KCC's last tourney, with a 3rd place finish and a big fish of 36.6 lbs!!!! congrats Ben and Gary.

8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Very nice boat thanks for sharing the pics. I'm looking to get a new in a year are so. One like that one might do the trick. Congrats

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Dave, I'm just about half an inch shy of 6', and there is plenty of headroom. I got it a little late to try in the cool spring weather, but it's be nice as a sunshade here pretty soon.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    GARY,
    CONGRAD'S ON THE NEW BOAT, NOW TAKE YOUR TIME AND DRESS IT OUT THE RITE WAY THE FRIST TIME AND IT WILL SAVE YOU$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:big_smile: GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW BOAT

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congratultions Gary! That is one nice boat. Should work out perfect.

12. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Nice rig Gary. Hope she serves you well. We saw you loading her up at below Truman last weekend.:wink:

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hellofa nice rig there Gary! I sure do like that top / enclosure! It will make fishing in the rain, sun, cold very comfortable! I want something like that BAD!

14. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Super nice rig there Gary. That full enclosure sure will be nice in the hot summer and those winter time rides. Looks like the prefect boat for ya....should last you a long time. Congrats.:big_smile:

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Gary, congrats on the new boat. You seem to do very well catching big cats from the bank, Im sure you'll catch them from the boat just as good.

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You will be thankful when it starts raining Gary. That top will keep you a lot more dryer.

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nice looking boat Gary,,