New Bill Limiting Size of Arkansas Blues Kept on Marion and Moultrie..

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zivetor, Feb 23, 2007.

1. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    FYI, I saw this posted in another website, just thought I would share this with you all. The bill hasn't been passed yet. It was Introduced in the House on January 18, 2007 Currently residing in the House Committee on Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs

FYI,, "Section 50-13-390. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no more than one Arkansas blue catfish over thirty-four inches may be taken from the waters of Lakes Marion and Moultrie by any one person in one day. The provisions of this section apply to commercial as well as recreational fishermen." To see the bill Check out the link below.. You click the link below to see the actual Bill.

http://www.scstatehouse.net/sess117_2007-2008/bills/3315.htm

Lenny

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    It should be a good thing. I truely hope it will restore the size fish I'm after.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    we all need to call and show our support for this bill.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It is great to see that another state is falling in line on this trend. I wish Kentucky would adopt this rule as well.

5. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have being coming to Santee Cooper Lakes for some time now.I travel some 6.1/2 hrs to get there.We get a motel room ,buy our food there,plus bait and we usually spend between the 2 of us on a 3 day trip ,right around $600.to $700.00 at a time to come there and fish.Do you think that we would come there and spend all this money to catch 6 fish?
    I think this would hurt the state of SC in a big way.Now it a different story about the commerical fisherman.They are able to take out alot more fish out of the waters than we do.I will try and break down the cost of a trip for us from WVa,like this.
    Gas $175.00 round trip
    Motel for 3 days $165.00 for 2
    Gas for boat $100.00
    Bait for 3 days $75.00 herring and other bait
    Food,well we are big ole boys so we eat alot,so lets say $50.00 a day.+$150.00
    So I hope that you understand where I am coming from with this.I come to the lakes to catch fish to save me money at the fish market,and have a great time in doing so.If they pass this law,I doult very much I would be coming back the 2 to 3 times a year that we do.I think after awhile that would surely hurt the small business there after some time.I might be wrong about this,will have to wait and see.:crazy: :crazy:

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    In the long run, it will help the small businesses by increasing the size of the fish in the lakes.
    How will that help, you ask???
    Let's see, If you are not taking the big ones out of the gene pool, the size of the fish will increase. It has worked in Tennessee!!!!
    Bigger Fish means more SPORT Fishermen More SPORT Fishermen means more revenue and, more revenue means a good time for small businesses.

Chris54WVa, I added all of you expenses up and figured it up to be 1265.00. I can't imagine anyone eating that much fish. You cabn buy alot of fish at a fish market for that kinda money, LOL!!!

7. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I think you need to recheck your math JW! :lol:

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Just did and came up with the same number, LOL!!! Three days at 50.00 (IS) 150.00 , LOL!!! Is this where the problem is, LMAO!!!

9. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    You're coming up wth about double of what his breakdown was. :)

Are you figuring per person or per trip? There lies the problem I think. LOL

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i feel as though this law should be in effect for every state in the US . theres so many large fish taken from the ohio river by commercial fisherman its hard at best to catch a big blue .

tourney fisherman will be forced to cpr on the spot and have to use a digital camera with date proven markers

it would be the best thing to happen for future fishing

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

100% in agreement with this!!! That sounds like a plan.

12. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sir,here is a breakdown of the money we spend on a regular trip to Santee Cooper.
    Gas round trip $175.00
    Motel for 3 night $165.00
    Food and Drinks$100.00
    Bait $75.00
    Gas for boat$100.00
    Total for trip $665.00 and there could be a plus more there to.
    We don't keep every fish we catch there.We do have a rule that any flathead under #30 is put back into the waters.On a real good trip we usually bring back about 30 to 40 pounds of filets,between 2 of us.Oh,and I didn't add the $35 for our yearly licenses,apiece.Sir ,may I also add this,I personally don't believe it is the regular fishermen,that is hurting these lakes,it is the commerical people that takes out 1000# a day that is.These's are the ones thats needs to be stopped. The huge troutliners.I have being coming to Santee,since 93 and have really enjoyed some great trips there as proof of my avatar,that a 53# flattie,and it was fun.

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    WELL I HAVE THE ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM OF ALL THE BIG FISH BEING TAKEN OUT OF THE LAKES AND IT'S THIS SIMPLE!!!! ALL YOU GOTA DO IS HAVE ME RIDE ALONG IN YOUR BOAT,OR SIT NEXT TO YOU ON THE BANK AND THERE WON'T BE NO FISH CAUGHT PERIOD,BIG OR SMALL.IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.(CATFISH FEAR ME!!!) OLD IOWA CATKILLER JOHN. L.O.L.
    :after_boom:
    P.S.
    MUST BE TO PRETTY.

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Chris I believe it said only 1 fish over 34inches about a 20-25lb fish. You say that u turn loose anything over 30lbs so it really shouldnt be that much of an issue. You can keep all the other fish smaller than that though. I believe that this would greatly help the fish population but I do believe we need to keep a close eye on our sister state(NC) and get the catfish into the gamefish catergory and that is our first step. This will put a hault on the commercial side of it. I am a firm believer in releasing the big ones to catch another day. I think everyone here need to call your local and state reps to let them know this is what we want and we support this bill. We dont want to make anyone mad but we sure can see a decline in the big fish in the lakes and rivers. So we can not just stand back and do nothing.

15. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    He actually states anything UNDER 30lbs. Be nice if that is a typo and he meant over. However it is their right to keep what ones they want. :confused2:

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    OOOOOPs, I see where i went wrong, LOL!!! My Bad:embarassed: !!!

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I believe, what he was saying is that he doesn't support the bill.
    Some folks wouldn't like fishing in my boat cause, the standing rule in my boat is: "ANY catfish over 10lbs goes back in the water". I don't care if it is the pope or the president, it goes back. This is just my oppinion and my way of thinking. It is not everyones way and I except that.

18. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Rivercats,I am in full agreement with you about the size of fish that anyone should keep.But we have to remember this to,think about the charter boats and the people that use their services.Should the people that spend the big $$$ to go to Santee,and hire a charter to go fishing put back their trophy fish they catch?If they did then the charters would probably go broke to.Look at the numbers of them in the 2 lakes.Go to this website and look at the numbers.www.santeecoopercountry.org .They have a large business to keep going and it is not cheap for them to keep their boats going.I would love to hear from someone who run a charter from there and see what they say.I know several there like Capt Brad,Joe Drose,etc etc.I wonder when the last time the state of SC run a survey and seen how the numbers were holding up with the amount of fish taken out of there.I have been there in May and have seen 1000's of pounds taken out in a single day.Hey please don't get me wrong here,I would love to see these laws enforced,as long as everyone does the same.Commercial and charter's to.Myself I just don't ever see it happen,not with catfish,bass yes.

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You should call them cause I know for a fact that they all got together and propposed and are pushing this bill through the DNR. They if anyone have seen the negative effects and their main reasoning for it is they advertise huge catfish and they are having to settle for 30-40lbers instead of 50-60lbers. It is hurting their buisness cause people are now going to different states like virginia and tennessee that have management programs like this in effect. I dont want to be on a soap box but this is something I personally have been working on in my area of the state and would like to see it extened to the flathead and statewide. Just because it is not considered a game fish does not give us the right to destroy or abuse it. If we wait on the gov to step in it will be almost to an irreversible situation by the time they interven. Dont get me wrong I like to show of a big one everytime I catch one but I would have to say that 75% of fish I catch over 25lbs is released and that is being liberal it is probably closer to 90%. I love my digital camera I can take as many pics as I could ever want. I do love to bring the back and fillet them and eat them too and sometimes I do. This bill will be a win win situation I believe.

20. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I am generally against passing laws but this particular bill sounds rather reasonalble. It's sort of like "here keep a big breeding stock fish is that is how you get your jollys but leave some for the rest of us too". I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. But the problem doens't come from reasonable folks like us. It comes from slob fisherman who keep everything that gets to the boat just to ride it around and show them off, and as often as not just throw them in the woods when their ego is fed.

Reminds me of a guy around here. All summer they baited a farm pond just off the river. come opening day of duck season he and 2 other guys killed 3 hefty trash bags full of ducks, someone estimated about 80-90. The limit is 5 per day and only 2 can be woodys. Now I'm not one to tattle tail but I may have spoken to the game warden about this. I can't remember.

But then again Law is defined by GOVerment. Ethics is defined by each of us personally.