New Bern

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by jimbob3445, Jun 15, 2006.

1. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    Hey anybody been fishing around new bern lately, i heard that the ramp on the nuese up by fort barnwell has some big cats, anybody ever tried, or what are ya'lls favorite spots around new bern

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Well I'm not from NC but I would like to say, Welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the net!

3. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    thanks i have been on the old site for months and was wondering where everyone was

4. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I just got off the phone with Joe, he said him and Jason had been down there and had good luck. I haven't been down there yet but want to go.

5. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    where were they fishing and what night or day did they go, what did they catch

6. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Not sure Joe0580, he should be on later tonight. He'll probably see your post and answer.

7. RooT_Fantastic

RooT_Fantastic New Member

State:
    NC
    i live in new bern but i havent been to the fort barnwell .. in fact i dont have any idea where that is... i usually fish around spring garden.. and thats where we have had some great luck in the last few months... here recently... not so much... i think the rain, and the ever changing current cause of the dams up river are making it a little more difficult to find them right now... but it will get better im sure...

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I fish from new bern all the way up to kinston, in new bern the best place is around spring garden but there is another spot near weyerhauser. The ft barnwell area is also really good and thats where I have caught my biggest fish so far, 56lb blue. There are big fish all over the neuse it just comes down to where you want to go. Some places are a lot easier to fish because of water depth, I would say anything more than 20 miles upriver from kinston gets pretty tricky during normal river pools. Even during normal pools the kinston area can get tricky because its not deep at all. I would have been going out there this weekend but the great flood of 2006 is on its way downriver from raleigh. If you need me to show you some good spots later I will be more than happy.

9. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Yeah Jay, Smithfield is DEEP right now. The ramp at the Little Brown Jug is under water. It'll be a couple of days before any boats are launched in Smithfield.

10. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    I'm off on wednesday and thursday, do you think it will be any better by then or will it still be flooded to bad

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would say by wednesday or thursday is when the water that is flooding way upriver is down towards new bern. It will probably take a couple weeks to be back to normal after a rain like that.

12. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    In my experiences, the cats seem to bite pretty good when the water is rising, but not good when it is receeding. I would guess by next weekend, it would be better for fishing.

13. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    Well i don't get many days off, so i'm gonna give it a try wednesday, also do any of ya'll around new bern have any instant messanger programs so we could chat about catfishing sometime

14. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi Jonathan ft barnwell is some great cat fishing,, but to me down the neuse is better to me around spring garden down to new bern i work on the neuse river .and live abought 1/2 mile from wildlife boat ramp on the neuse so that helps a lot,and i get lot,s of nice blue cats off the trent in bricescreek nice deep holes,,,Timbo:big_smile:

15. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    Well do to all the flooding i'm just gonna try some brim fishing in swift creek, but i always put out some jugs because there is some cats in there but lots of gars and blackfish

16. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    Has anybody fished down here since alberto, if not when are you going to start back

17. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    anybody been down to spring garden recently, i heard they have been doing good down there

18. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yeah I caught 5 flats there last friday night with a total weight of 161lbs, not a bad night at all.

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Jason, congrats on a great catch. Thats an avg of about 32.2 pounds each.

20. carolinarebel78

carolinarebel78 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    awsome spot for blues and flats pleanty of structure to fish best from about 11pm on. try fishing side across from ramp good area to fish up river.