New bait tip...for me at least

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by j.klein, May 9, 2006.

1. j.klein

j.klein New Member

State:
    missouri
    last year when no shad were available due to low water levels at my usual spots i resorted to using my head to figure out what else would catch some fish in the cutbait area. thats when i came across my new best friend, and soon to be all of yours, the bluegill???no that menace the bighead carp!!!! those darn asian invaders actually do serve a purpose...heres the specifics, snag'em or castnet for the near flowing water ff the rivers main channel where shad normally school when theres no shad there the big heads will probablly be somewhere in the vicinity. all you need is one, but the key is dont use his white meat use his belly meat the dark oilly meat deep in the lower half of his body, cut it up into 1 inch by 1 inch{or bigger} pieces of cut bait and i bet youll pullem in...give me some feedback brothers...this is what we call a lil of "Klein's cutbait", and it works as good as shad and skipjack wouldnt lie.

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fortunately, I don't have bighead carp in my area, but I have used bloodmeat form other fish with good results. I was aroud a king mackerel tournament a couple of years ago, helping to clean the fish. We were trimming the bloodmeat out of the fillets, so I kept some for cat bait. Worked great, even after frozen.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I've been using the asians for years. They make outstanding bait. The Blue in my Avatar came off of cut asian carp. I use quite a bit larger pieces then you do though. 2inches wide by a foot long. During the dog days of summer I've found the asians are superior to the gizzards or threadfins. I keep my bait soaked in a bucket so it stays bloody and oily. You are correct about the belly meat. Nice Post!!!!!!

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

now theres somthing to try,we are over run with the dam things.glad to hear at least they are good for somthing

5. FishinChris

FishinChris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use buffalo , or carp from the local asain market if I cant get any shad in the winter it has worked almost as well as shad for me, and it really stays on the hook good.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    wonder if this will work as well with regular carp??

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank you!!! Im going to give it a try like was just mentioned above I wonder why carp belly meat wouldent work also I know whole carp work for me but I cant always get the size I need about pound size or just a little bigger. Bigcatman0816.A guy could just use a 5or6 pounder live carp and anything big enough to eat it whole would definatly be one to post a picture of. L.O.L.

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Where I fish we're over-run with bighead carp. So that idea seems to half-way make some sense. Thanks alot for the tip. I'll definately use it!

-Red

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Absolutely. The common carp work just as well. I'd take the scales off the skin first though.

10. j.klein

j.klein New Member

State:
    missouri
    if its oily it will do

11. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i wish i knew this a few weeks ago. we were catching several bigheads over 40#.thats alot of bait.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: THANKS FOR THE GREAT TIP.AT LEAST NOW WE KNOW WHAT THOSE CARP FAMILY IS GOOD FOR. CATCHIN BIG FISH

13. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That is a very awesome tip, I will pass that along as we have been over run with the damn things.

14. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    the next time I get one in my net its going under the knife!!

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Might I suggest that any bighead carp that is caught, be gutted and thrown back in to feed the fish. That is, if you don't want it for bait, LOL!!! Never throw them back alive!!!!!!!!!!

16. j.klein

j.klein New Member

State:
    missouri
    amen to that brother

17. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Take the time to skin them out and you will find that you will do much better!