New bait thats free and plentiful

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Ravensmavsfan, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I was fishing at a gravel pit yesterday for big bluegills, they were hittin pieces of night crawlers but i was running out fast.
    We have a huge honeysuckle problem in cincinnati and they're everywhere. I turned around picked a berry and stuck on the edge of my just past the barb. Casted in and after about 7 seconds a fish had tooken it and swam towards the deep water. I guess they wait for these berrys to drop in the water. THey seem to work much better than corn, and again they're free.

I finished up wit about 6 keepers over 7 inches.
    I threw back a 6 inch bass that also bit on the honeysuckle berries, and a kept a 8 inch crappie that bit on the berries too.

2. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    Very interesting, might not work where the honeysuckle is not abundant. Thanks for the info.

Dale

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am glad that someone finally found a use for honeysuckles. Nesessity(sp) is the mother of invention, they say!! Glad it worked for ya!!!

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I'll have to keep that in mind! Thanks.
    Bill

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i did something similar years ago thers a bush that grows here with small red berries on it the bright color seems to do the trick

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I will give that a try:cool2:

7. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    man, theres so many baits that you can use to fish and you just dont kno it, one time, i was sittin on a river bank like pretty much every weekend and the carp kept comin up and eatin the maple leaves off the surface of the water, and i put a hook thro one of them maple leaves and i had about 5 10 pound carp in a half an hour. i love takin a pole to mess around with and catch gar and carp when the cats arent bitin.

8. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I saw the cotton coming off the cottonwood trees, carp eating it up like crazy. Balled some the cotton on a small hook caught a Big carp.
    Mark