New Bait tank

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by catchinghogs, Feb 16, 2008.

1. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    In the process of building a bait tank for the house this year. I am planning on getting a stock tank from tractor suppy.Do you think there would be any different effect from one made of galvinized or the rubbermaid product would the galvinized tank affect the fish.I plan on using a good filtration system and treating the water for slime coat and killing and other bacterias.Any help is appreciated.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would think not. I would think that the rubber maid one would be easier to work with how ever. The tank being plastic and all if you go to drill in holes or how ever you plan to do your pluming for it. I have a 300 gal. rubber maid tank and am real glad I got it over a galvanized one.

3. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Anyone else with any bait tanks made out of galvinized or plastic with ant info?

4. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Mark,
    Whichever way you go, when its done please post some pics.

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I myself would go with plastic over metal. The biggest reason for my choice would be water temperature. The metal tank will make the water hotter then the plastic one.

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would go with the plastic one myself.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use a old ice making machine for my baite tank at home and use three airatores and a 55 gallon barrel for my truck with bilge pump and a big ice chest for the boat with a bilge pump

8. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I was thinking plastic also. But It might be to big to fit in the basement door at least with the galvinized I could turn it sideways to get it in.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Whew! A period here and there sure would have made that easier to read.:wink:

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Man! You ain't lyin'!:wink:

11. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    My son and I went down to the local car wash and asked the owner if we could have some 30 gal and 55 gal plastic drums. We offered to buy them, but he gave them to us. The good thing is that the detergent is easily washed out, so you have a clean container. I haven't got mine rigged up yet, but my son used his all summer last year and it works great. He uses a keep alive pump to oxygenate the water. Keeps his perch alive for weeks and weeks.

12. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Ron i did the same thing but he charged 5.00 for 2 of em,and i gladly payed him for them,im still workin on them,just got through filling the big on with spray foam,will put the pump in next and cut a lid for it,just takin my time to do it right the first time..