New bait size restrictions for kansas residents

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    For those who didn't notice when/if you read this years regulations, which I didn't, no bait fish over 12 inches may be used, I don't know why not, but its there on pages 5 and 7 of the 2006 Kansas Fishing Regulation Summary. I found out about it from Dale Finney (Dafin) when he visited the other evening. He may have posted it some where else, just thought I'd put it in here. The way it reads, this will include Carp and Shad. It also states you can use Black bass and Crappie if you catch them with line and hook and they're under 12 inches(?) Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of the KDWP?

2. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    No I hadn't heard that. Though it doesn't concern me too much, as my bait is rarely longer than 4-6 inches. I don't think it will be too inhibiting, because as far as I know very few people use them that big. Sorry to hear that though, if you do. I'm sure you'll do fine with smaller ones.:)

3. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks for letting us know. I hadn't read that far I guess.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What about the missouri river? It has different rules for it since kansas and missouri kind of share there rules for that body of water.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I didn't realize it either, but I just found the same rule in the 2005 booklet, so it's not "new" for 2006. I'm glad that all of my baitfish last year were 11 1/2" :rolleyes:

I didn't see any exemptions for the MO River, and Missouri does have a similar rule.

6. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    :rolleyes: It's actually been like that for at least the last two years. You can't keep a bait fish that is over 12", but you can use any legally taken wildlife (including sport fish such as largemouth bass or crappie) for bait. The problem is that if using a largemouth for bait, it cannot be over 12", and most waters have a 12 or 15" minimum limit on largemouth, and since a largemouth under 15" is illegall to take, it can't be used for bait. Also note that some bait fish are also sport fish, including bluegill, green sunfish, and redear, so they must be caught by hook and line since you can't use a net to take any sport fish. Luckily, I've never used a cast net to catch green sunfish congregating on the bottom of a boat ramp. :rolleyes:

Here are the regulations for fishing the MO directly from the 2006 fishing regulations book (found on page 5):

License Requirements: Anglers with either a valid Kansas or Missouri fishing license
    may fish any flowing portion and backwaters of the Missouri River and any oxbow lake
    through which the river flows.They may fish from and attach any legal fishing equipment
    to the land adjoining these waters.

Limitations: Tributaries of the Missouri may not be fished without a valid fishing license from
    the state through which the tributary flows. If any law or regulation governing fishing in the
    Missouri River is different from the corresponding law or regulation in the state for which
    the angler has a license, the more restrictive state’s law or regulation will apply. Each angler
    must keep all legally caught fish restrained separately from any other angler. Bow and
    arrow or crossbow with a barbed head and a line attached are legal only from sunrise to
    midnight. Each angler may use three fishing lines. :) In addition, each angler may use one
    trotline with no more than 25 hooks OR eight setlines with no more than two hooks each.

7. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's just anlther "Catch 22" law from our beloved WDWP. How many of us us bait that large anyway? I do, but only on specific sets. Its probably a law designed to confuse people into thinking they are legal and then sticking them with a ticket. The proceeds from the fines probably go to the KDWP's favorite charity, the non resident outfitters......

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I looked in the same sections in the 2005 issue and didn't see it there, the last time, looked again, and sure enough, there it is. I don't use 12inchers (shad) whole, but the last run, earlier this year we netted 5 buckets full, most of which were at least 12" if not more,(disclaimer follows) of course I could be mistaken, not much good at estimating lengths, specially in a bucket full of squirming shad.. Got them for the guts (retail $8 a pint) and cut bait.

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I find it very common for governments to make something as simple as fishing and make it incredibly complicated :rolleyes: I think Calvin said it best with his theory that the money goes straight into the pockets of the idiots making these laws. If I find the guy that got the crazy idea to write that law, I am going to hit him with one of my 12" shad just to get my point across ;)

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Very odd.
    What if you had a 13 inch shad and made cut bait out of it.??:confused:

Very curious why they would allow gamefish to be used,but not larger shad or carp

11. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Man that sucks, I've probably had bait fish that big and did'nt think twice about using it.

12. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I've actually known about that law for at least 15yrs or more. when I catch some big shad I try to gut and filet them quickly. I once asked a gamewarden at perry spillway why it was against the law to keep baitfish over 12", he replied that they are the breeding stock.

13. CatfishSam

CatfishSam New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wow I didn't know, I never get any that big anyway.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    A very interesting point concerning not being able to keep carp or shad over 12". When the corps cleaned out the spilling below Milford Lake last year, they took all the rough fish, include LARGE shad and carp, which are illegal for us to net, but them I reckon, and dumped them up above the dam for folks to take, for whatever reason.

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Wait a min.....I'm getting lost...you can't keep over 12 inches or you can keep them but not use for bait.:confused: Can you cut a over 12 inch shad into cut bait,just not use it whole...this is getting into lawyerspeak...way over my head

16. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Thanks for the info. Catfish fevor I have used bigger fish than that to fish for flats, guess I will have to change my ways of fishing for flats.

17. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I work with and enforce laws made by Kansas. Problem is the committie. They get a bunch of input from all sources and often make a law that makes no sense and is hard to inforce, or punishes all without reguard to history. When the law comes open you ask for certain things to make enforcement easier and easy to understand so there shouldnt be a need for enforcement and they give you back a law that leaves you shuddering.

Hunters Ed is a prime example. Used to be simple if you wanted to hunt you had to have it. Now you can hunt without it as long as your under age 16 and meet half a dozen other requirements. I am an instructor and the whole thing leaves me confused. I can only say it benefits the outfitters without reguard to safety.

18. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    There is a simple way to get around this ridiculous law, not that I would ever consider breaking one of Kansas' reasonable and worthwhile fish and game laws. But I've been told by "somone" that if your bait is over 12" in length, simply hook it in the mouth. That's the way I hook large baits anyway and who is to say that the fish didn't just bite one your hook . Of course I would never advise anyone to do anything like that and I have never done it.....

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Unfortunately, by the time they go through the process to make a law legal you just about need a lawyer to understand it most of the time. But it's sad when regulations get so complex that normally law abiding citizens are unable to understand them.

Last night I was fishing below Truman Dam in Missouri, using cut Goldeye for bait. I had a tail piece lying on the rock, an intact goldeye in my bag, and pieces out on my 3 rods. A conservation agent came to check me, and while I knew I was doing nothing wrong, I started thinking about the technicalities he might get me on...

12" live bait limit - my goldeye was right on the line. The Missouri regs on this are almost beyond comprehension. There is a 12" limit on live bait (5" for some types). Is a frozen goldeye classified as "live bait"? If not, that means it's ok to catch it live, kill it, and put it out there. But you can't put the very same fish out there live. That's how I interpret the rule, but it doesn't make sense to me, from a conservation standpoint.

"The head, tail, and skin must remain attached to all fish for which length limits are established" The agent looking at my bait was having trouble classifying it without the head. If I hadn't had an intact sample, I'm not sure what the outcome would have been. I understand this rule, but it seems like a tough one to enforce.

"Live bait, as defined in this code, obtained from waters of the state, may not be transported from the state or sold." Once again, the goldeye was dead, but I'm not 100% that it is not still classified as live bait just because it perished. I live in Kansas now, I catch my bait in both Missouri and Kansas.

In the end, the agent checking me seemed to have no interest in the length of my bait or where it came from, he just wanted to figure out what it was. He was always polite and respectful, and once he saw that it wasn't a gamefish, he wished me luck and told me to enjoy my evening. Hopefully all agents are like that.

20. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    We dont doubt that you have never done this, and I advise anyone that would even think about doing this not to even consider doing so. It is a crazy plan that would likely never work and is a completely rediculous notion. What kind of a sick twisted mind got the idea to lie to conservation agents so that fishing could become more of the sport it once was and not so complicated and controlled? That is completely rediculous and should be punished by death ;) LOL