New bait question for ya!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Sep 8, 2008.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Has anyone ever tried using the jumbo goldfish for bait for the blues?

I have used them myself with pretty good results for flatheads at Pony Pasture when in need of bait and cant get bluegill or smallmouths for bait.

I know idealy fresh shad, alwife, eels and bluegill are the prefered bait but I was:
    Just wondering:eek:oooh:

2. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    I cant believe no response on the goldfish. Has anybody given them a try? Are they the great secret bait? Seems kinda X files like, that this post has been up a week and NOTHING!:confused2:

Hmmmm

3. Biluecat

Biluecat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Here in Nebraska some of the baitshops sell them, they are actually koi fish, couldn't afford to try them too many times to give them a shot. Had I caught "Walter" I probably would have kept using them

I am also a believer that the best bait comes from the lake or river you are fishing in!!

If it works keep using them, and heckle the guys not catching them right next to ya!! LOL... Good Luck!!

4. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Jeff, I haven't used them but some of the old river rats around here do. Seems they have good luck with them but as far a targeting blues I don't know.

5. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    Hey Jeff, I love using goldfish, a lot of people tell me not too use them and that the est bait to use is what is already in the waters you are fishing. I fish the Missouri and the mississippi here in Missouri and after seeing a catman with a 70+ lb flat and asking him what he caught it on, he told me THE ONLY THING TO USE in a deep tone, so i said whats that? Gold fish he said. He told me his bigest was a 80+ lb'er and goldfish is the best thing to use. I cant say ive caught them that big but in the last couple of weeks we have caught two over 40 witch are good fish in my book. I have had better luck with goldfish than cut bait but i use them bolth. If your confident in a bait, use it. I like the goldfish but they can get expensive. I would use a goldfish on a couple lines and cut bait on a couple and just experiment a little. Hope this helps.

6. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    is it legal to use goldfish in VA? I have heard yes and no...so let me know what you know!!:confused2:

7. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Never tried any but, i do believe that you will catch something on them. As we all know when the blues are feeding .....! It does seem that they will hit just about anything, and on the other side of the coin they do have preferences at different times of the year! I have seen bass eat bass and catfish eat catfish! The craziest yet was a 11 year old son of a friend of mine got a 6lb. largemouth bass on a piece of leftover breakfast sausage link while catfishing by jimmy deans place. Anything is worth a try eh? good luck see ya on the water real soon!:smile2:

8. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    Hey Shirley, I would assume that it is leagle you can buy them from castaway for bait purposes I would think, they are'nt a pet store. I was just thinking when I'm in a hurry and dont have time to search for bait, I was thinking of giving them a try. Last time I got some a couple years ago for flathead'n they were a buck a piece or 10.00 for a dozen.

They seem to stay alive forever after hooking them through the tail.

9. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    You might just want to take a little "fiddler rod" with you to try to catch some little fish while your fishing for the big ones. It couldn't hurt to just have one out there.
    good luck

10. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    They also sell them for bait at Adams Sporting Goods! Tried them once for bass and striper on a bobber in a reservoir but no luck. Providence Forge Exxon, Fished them at Little Creek. From the way i have understood goldfish,there are bait goldfish called feeders "legal bait" and then there are the ones that are for aqauriums "pets" But i don't actually know the terminology of the written laws on them. I have had luck on artificial gold colored "silver buddy" jigs.crappie bass catfish perch and pickerel have been productive at various times. I can't say i would not try them again! Good luck and see ya on the water soon!:big_smile:

11. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks...I have been to castaways, but only a couple of times...I was too busy checking out the rods he had to worry about bait:smile2: I know they carry eels...but thats as far as i got. Where's Adam's??