New bait pond

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Found out about a real nice bait pond in the public hunting area just off of Milford Lake, must've flooded when the lake was up.
    Went there to catch some perch for our livewell, we caught about 2 dozen. Then I got a real nice surprise, started pulling in 5 to 6 inch bullheads only caught 9. Took them home for the live well too. Would have stayed and caught more, but had to get back to the house, which it's only a couple of miles from. I'll probably bring a couple of the smaller ones to Tuttle that weekend.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the bait pond! Those are hard to come by now adays

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Good deal Jim. I nned to find me a place to get bullheads like that.

4. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Is it my imagination or did there used to be bullheads everywhere and now there are hardly any? When I was a kid I used to catch buckets full of the darn things.Now when I want some for bait I can't find them.

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Theres Plenty Out Here For You Eric:big_smile: (I Will Show You If You Want Me Too)Just Not Where Kyle Lives:confused2:.

6. channelman

channelman New Member

State:
    Linn Kansas
    I know of few pnds that have some bullheads in them.

7. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i have never used bullheads for bait i want to tho.:smile2:..how big of bullheads do you use for bait and do you hook them in the same place as a gill? anyone familiar with cow creek? if so that creek is full of them there is a dam here in hutch that when this canal called the harsha canal floods they open the gates and let all the water flow into cow creek i caught them all the time as a kid but have not fished that section of the creek for years might have to go see if i can get me some of them before i head out saturday night..:wink:..They say cow creek use to be a great place to pull flatties out of but it got alot of oil polution in it and the fish either died out or moved to different waters..sucks whichever happend:sad2:..

8. DMFW_5

DMFW_5 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    patrick do you ever catch bait on halsted by sunoco paper board its full of bullhead, pearch and carp. I've got a pond I fish alot that is full of gills you can catch as many as you want in about 20 minutes I can show you it sometime.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    bullheads are great if you have gar infested waters the gar for somereason leave them be more than a carp or blue gill

10. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    Hey Dustin welcome to the BOC i dont know the sunoco place but however i do live on Halstead rd on 95th is that close to where you talking bout? or you talking by the prison in caryville

11. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    You're more than welcome to show me where they are :smile2:
    All I can find are gills up here in KC, Wichita could find some of em now and then.

12. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    Thank god i dont have the gar in the river i fish I feel sorry for anyone who does:crazy:..so on them bullhead do you hook them the same way as a gill or a differnt way?

13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You hook the behind the dorsal fin. Might be a good idea to trim their side fins so you dont get poked.:smile2:

14. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    Thanks Kyle how big of ones do you normaly use to catch some flaties?

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use them as big as 2lbs but if you use the big ones clip the tail finso they cant swim away with your rig or get you tangled up but 6-8 inches is just right

16. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Sounds like you have a sweet spot Jim.

The wife started a water garden this year and has stocked it pretty well with gold fish and a few perch.

I think a few will be missing next weekend....:smile2::smile2:

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jerald and me went fishing by "The Cliff" today. I put one of the bullheads on I caught the other day, didn't do any good, he went back in the bait tank. All we caught was one 4 lbr.
    The main reason for this post though, is the picture I'm posting. I didn't not notice the deformity on this bullhead when I caught him. It has no tail, and very little of his anal fin,although, the caudal fin is there. The dorsal fin goes clear aroung the back end of where his tail should have been. Something must've got ahold of him when he was a little guy, and he got away. It's about 4-5 inches long. He was in 40' or so of water for a couple of hours, when we were ready to leave, I brought my line in, he was just as lively as when I pitched him out there. I did get a few "Catfish Quivers" :smile2: on the pole I had him on, but that was it. The only Cat we caught was on a shad!

Attached Files:

18. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    Hey Jim looking forward to meeting you next weekend man that looks like a tadpole:smile2::crazy:..never seen a bullhead like that thanks for sharing the pic and the story..:cool2:

19. DMFW_5

DMFW_5 New Member

State:
    Kansas

its by the minimum prison you wont see it from halsted theres a drainage ditch that runs into it. you cross some railroad tracks and theres a path that leads to the water.

20. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks

O ok i know where you are talking about i used to fish there all the time when i was younger thanks for the info do they still got big perch down there? and do you fish at the drainege part or further down?:cool2: