Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s time for a new reel channels and smaller blues is what if catch mostly. What reel do you use like?

·
Registered
Don from Glendale Arizona
4,949 Posts
What's your fav...spincasting, spinning, or baitcasting?

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,586 Posts
We probably need a narrow price range along with the type you are looking for. Spinning, casting, spin cast.....

·
Registered
Penn Reels, Whisker Seeker, Sage, St. Croix rods, Ande Monster
47 Posts
It wouldn’t be my first choice for kitties, but Shimano Tranx 400 is my go to for a baitcaster on nasty stuff, I’ve been really happy with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m want a new bait caster . regular bait casters don’t seam to hold up to catfishing in the river like I fish. The weight I use or all the hang ups or me. Not sure Which Under $ 150 if possible

·
Registered
Penn Reels, Whisker Seeker, Sage, St. Croix rods, Ande Monster
47 Posts
Used Penn I like GTO and GTI MODELS 220 around Abu 7000 size casts very good 50 to 75 bucks most will need to be cleaned and lube
I wouldn’t really call them a baitcaster, but I’ll toss in a vote for the Penn 320 GTI’s. You can score used ones on Ebay for dirt, they’re easy to work on, and made in the US. I love mine, they have seen a ton of fishing.

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
Abu 6500s will be extremely hard to find right now unless you can find a nice used one or overpay online. So here's a couple that alternatives, the Penn would be my preference regardless.

Penn Squall 15LW

Piscifun Chaos 50

·
Registered
626 Posts
It’s time for a new reel channels and smaller blues is what if catch mostly. What reel do you use like?
Channels and smaller blue's, smaller than what? I think the best way to go is determine what size fish your gonna target and go from there. Where I fish it's channels and pretty much a 6# fish is big and about 4# average. Like to go to Brownlee some day and fish for cat's and still only target fish up to maybe 10#. My rods will all cover that. But bear in mind the range in size of catfish I would think makes different equipment necessary depending on what your going after. Going after bigger than 10# fish I'd stick to the reels I have, all in the same class as my ABU 6500 but if I was after 20+# fish I'd change the rod to a heavier rod, much over that I'd give though to a heavier reel too. You won't have a lot of luck using the rod and reel you use for eater cats on 50# cats! And cat run from those eater's to giants!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
As much as I like abu's, those Penn squall 15 are built tough. With basic maintenance it'd last last just as long as an Abu imo. Plus they aren't commanding as much of premium right now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Channels and smaller blue's, smaller than what? I think the best way to go is determine what size fish your gonna target and go from there. Where I fish it's channels and pretty much a 6# fish is big and about 4# average. Like to go to Brownlee some day and fish for cat's and still only target fish up to maybe 10#. My rods will all cover that. But bear in mind the range in size of catfish I would think makes different equipment necessary depending on what your going after. Going after bigger than 10# fish I'd stick to the reels I have, all in the same class as my ABU 6500 but if I was after 20+# fish I'd change the rod to a heavier rod, much over that I'd give though to a heavier reel too. You won't have a lot of luck using the rod and reel you use for eater cats on 50# cats! And cat run from those eater's to giants!
The blues I catch are under 10 lbs

·
Registered
626 Posts
The blues I catch are under 10 lbs
No sweat, lot's of choices then. What I use are a couple ABU's, a 6500 and a 5000. Have a Daiwa Millionaire that is a really nice reel and a Kastking rover 40 that is also really nice. I love my ABU's but I think my Millionaire and Kastking are both just as good reels. I have a couple low profile reels but don't use them on cats. Just a personal thing with me as I'm not big into low profile reels as to me they just don't look like they are heavy enough for fish I might hook that I'm not looking for.

·
Registered
Justin from Utah
1,323 Posts
My choice would be the piscifun chaos xs 50. On Amazon they have some in stock currently but that changes quickly. They are about $60. I have 2 of them, one in the 40 size and one in the 50. I only fish for channel cats as that's what we have in Utah. They are a lot of fun to fish with. I believe they are a great bang for a buck.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My choice would be the piscifun chaos xs 50. On Amazon they have some in stock currently but that changes quickly. They are about $60. I have 2 of them, one in the 40 size and one in the 50. I only fish for channel cats as that's what we have in Utah. They are a lot of fun to fish with. I believe they are a great bang for a buck.
Had to go look. Damn nice looking reel $52.99 on their site. I'm getting reel poor or would get one to try. Love the round reels!

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
you say I’m want a new bait caster ,,. regular bait casters don’t seam to hold up first dont know what you using 2nd not sure what is regular or what irregular?, to me a bait caster is a bait caster,,, are saying a cheap one or quality one? to me cant beat for a everyday cat setup ABU C4 5600 or 6600 much smoother, cast further and better gearsthen a C3,,c4 are also made in Sweden unlike the c3,,think C4 is about 135 bucks er so,,, ,if you could find a used a recent vintage abu Record reel they make a great reel sad to say there not made anymore, can still find nib on ebay but they are pushing 800 bucks these days

Reactions: ramon06

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you say I’m want a new bait caster ,,. regular bait casters don’t seam to hold up first dont know what you using 2nd not sure what is regular or what irregular?, to me a bait caster is a bait caster,,, are saying a cheap one or quality one? to me cant beat for a everyday cat setup ABU C4 5600 or 6600 much smoother, cast further and better gearsthen a C3,,c4 are also made in Sweden unlike the c3,,think C4 is about 135 bucks er so,,, ,if you could find a used a recent vintage abu Record reel they make a great reel sad to say there not made anymore, can still find nib on ebay but they are pushing 800 bucks these days
I have 2 higher end shamino bait casters both where great reels until I started catfishing with them. I fish a river with lot of current at times so have to use heavy weights at times. The drag system keeps tearing up.

·
Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
80 Posts
10 lb and under blues..........I'd go with a Daiwa BG 4500 or 5000,perfect for your size fish but will handle fish much bigger.My biggest to date on the 4500 was 26 IIRC but I have caught a ton of 10 and belows.The BG's have the smoothest drag I have found on any spinning reel in their price range.$109 for either at SRMO,I buy like75% of my gear here, good people.For baitcasters I use Daiwa Saltist levelwinds in size 40 and 30.The 30($159 at SRMO)would more than suit your needs and I would stand them up against anything Abu Garcia has to offer.Just a much better quality baitcaster than Abu offers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts