Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Penn Reels, Whisker Seeker, Sage, St. Croix rods, Ande Monster
63 Posts
It wouldn’t be my first choice for kitties, but Shimano Tranx 400 is my go to for a baitcaster on nasty stuff, I’ve been really happy with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m want a new bait caster . regular bait casters don’t seam to hold up to catfishing in the river like I fish. The weight I use or all the hang ups or me. Not sure Which Under $ 150 if possible

·
Registered
Penn Reels, Whisker Seeker, Sage, St. Croix rods, Ande Monster
63 Posts
Used Penn I like GTO and GTI MODELS 220 around Abu 7000 size casts very good 50 to 75 bucks most will need to be cleaned and lube
I wouldn’t really call them a baitcaster, but I’ll toss in a vote for the Penn 320 GTI’s. You can score used ones on Ebay for dirt, they’re easy to work on, and made in the US. I love mine, they have seen a ton of fishing.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
Abu 6500s will be extremely hard to find right now unless you can find a nice used one or overpay online. So here's a couple that alternatives, the Penn would be my preference regardless.

Penn Squall 15LW

Piscifun Chaos 50

·
Registered
855 Posts
It’s time for a new reel channels and smaller blues is what if catch mostly. What reel do you use like?
Channels and smaller blue's, smaller than what? I think the best way to go is determine what size fish your gonna target and go from there. Where I fish it's channels and pretty much a 6# fish is big and about 4# average. Like to go to Brownlee some day and fish for cat's and still only target fish up to maybe 10#. My rods will all cover that. But bear in mind the range in size of catfish I would think makes different equipment necessary depending on what your going after. Going after bigger than 10# fish I'd stick to the reels I have, all in the same class as my ABU 6500 but if I was after 20+# fish I'd change the rod to a heavier rod, much over that I'd give though to a heavier reel too. You won't have a lot of luck using the rod and reel you use for eater cats on 50# cats! And cat run from those eater's to giants!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Channels and smaller blue's, smaller than what? I think the best way to go is determine what size fish your gonna target and go from there. Where I fish it's channels and pretty much a 6# fish is big and about 4# average. Like to go to Brownlee some day and fish for cat's and still only target fish up to maybe 10#. My rods will all cover that. But bear in mind the range in size of catfish I would think makes different equipment necessary depending on what your going after. Going after bigger than 10# fish I'd stick to the reels I have, all in the same class as my ABU 6500 but if I was after 20+# fish I'd change the rod to a heavier rod, much over that I'd give though to a heavier reel too. You won't have a lot of luck using the rod and reel you use for eater cats on 50# cats! And cat run from those eater's to giants!
The blues I catch are under 10 lbs

·
Registered
855 Posts
The blues I catch are under 10 lbs
No sweat, lot's of choices then. What I use are a couple ABU's, a 6500 and a 5000. Have a Daiwa Millionaire that is a really nice reel and a Kastking rover 40 that is also really nice. I love my ABU's but I think my Millionaire and Kastking are both just as good reels. I have a couple low profile reels but don't use them on cats. Just a personal thing with me as I'm not big into low profile reels as to me they just don't look like they are heavy enough for fish I might hook that I'm not looking for.

·
Registered
Justin from Utah
1,575 Posts
My choice would be the piscifun chaos xs 50. On Amazon they have some in stock currently but that changes quickly. They are about $60. I have 2 of them, one in the 40 size and one in the 50. I only fish for channel cats as that's what we have in Utah. They are a lot of fun to fish with. I believe they are a great bang for a buck.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My choice would be the piscifun chaos xs 50. On Amazon they have some in stock currently but that changes quickly. They are about $60. I have 2 of them, one in the 40 size and one in the 50. I only fish for channel cats as that's what we have in Utah. They are a lot of fun to fish with. I believe they are a great bang for a buck.
Had to go look. Damn nice looking reel $52.99 on their site. I'm getting reel poor or would get one to try. Love the round reels!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
you say I’m want a new bait caster ,,. regular bait casters don’t seam to hold up first dont know what you using 2nd not sure what is regular or what irregular?, to me a bait caster is a bait caster,,, are saying a cheap one or quality one? to me cant beat for a everyday cat setup ABU C4 5600 or 6600 much smoother, cast further and better gearsthen a C3,,c4 are also made in Sweden unlike the c3,,think C4 is about 135 bucks er so,,, ,if you could find a used a recent vintage abu Record reel they make a great reel sad to say there not made anymore, can still find nib on ebay but they are pushing 800 bucks these days

Reactions: ramon06

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you say I’m want a new bait caster ,,. regular bait casters don’t seam to hold up first dont know what you using 2nd not sure what is regular or what irregular?, to me a bait caster is a bait caster,,, are saying a cheap one or quality one? to me cant beat for a everyday cat setup ABU C4 5600 or 6600 much smoother, cast further and better gearsthen a C3,,c4 are also made in Sweden unlike the c3,,think C4 is about 135 bucks er so,,, ,if you could find a used a recent vintage abu Record reel they make a great reel sad to say there not made anymore, can still find nib on ebay but they are pushing 800 bucks these days
I have 2 higher end shamino bait casters both where great reels until I started catfishing with them. I fish a river with lot of current at times so have to use heavy weights at times. The drag system keeps tearing up.

·
Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
132 Posts
10 lb and under blues..........I'd go with a Daiwa BG 4500 or 5000,perfect for your size fish but will handle fish much bigger.My biggest to date on the 4500 was 26 IIRC but I have caught a ton of 10 and belows.The BG's have the smoothest drag I have found on any spinning reel in their price range.$109 for either at SRMO,I buy like75% of my gear here, good people.For baitcasters I use Daiwa Saltist levelwinds in size 40 and 30.The 30($159 at SRMO)would more than suit your needs and I would stand them up against anything Abu Garcia has to offer.Just a much better quality baitcaster than Abu offers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts