New Badin Lake consumption advisory posted for Catfish and Bass due to elevated PCBs

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Cattledogz, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    The North Carolina Division of Public Health has issued a fish consumption advisory for Badin Lake between Stanly and Montgomery counties. Elevated levels of PCBs have been found in large mouth bass and catfish in Badin Lake.

Read the full article by clicking the link below:

Published 2-11-2009

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the heads up. I wonder about mercury in the Catawba chain. There are conflicting advisories from the NC and SC authorities. I tend to lean toward the less conservative reports, after all your families health cannot be compromised.

3. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Thanks for the link. I called Dad and told him to throw away the small blue he had in his freezer. Found out it was already gone. Oh well he's still kickin!

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I dont really know what that means, there is a consumption warning on all lakes in NC and has been and they say there not going to change it, what is it just a reminder?

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Badin was not on the list for PCBs in prior lists thus the new update posting supposedly.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    There has always been PCB around the Alcoa plant, but this new finding came from up the lake several miles from the Alcoa plant.

Sounds like a good reason to limit the commercial sale of catfish from our public waters.

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Your right Wyilecat. Yesterday I emailed the state to answer that question. The main reason was becuase just the weekend before, I saw a commerical guy out there with his hoopnets on badin. Commerical fishing on that lake might go the way of the dinasour. The state is going to have to come back with something like no commerical catfishing on that lake. The commerical guys can't sell contaminated catfish to the markets. Theres no difference between bad fish or bad beef, same principal. I think we all know how strict the goverment is about contaminated meat hitting the markets.

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    What's funny is that they said that stuff works it's way up the food chain, so I understand that the shad have PCB's so whay doesn't the stripers and crappie been put on the list. They all eat the same stuff. I've eaten tons of fish from Badin, but not anymore. Heck, there ain't a lake out there that I think I can eat fish out of anymore. Oh well, I guess I'll still eat a few crappie and perch every now and then. I'm still OK....... sort of. lol

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You can eat the fish, you just can't eat twice your own body weight every week! Basically don't over do it. One meal a week may hurt you when you're 70. I dunno, I think a lot of this stuff is a little overboard.