New axle installation

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by bigblaze, Jul 25, 2006.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I am installing a new axle on my boat trailer. The new axle does not have the holes drilled in it for the bolt holding the spring leaves together. Do i have to drill the hole in the axle for the bolt or should that have been done at the factory.

I know there are so many different width trailers that will work for that axle so i probably do have to drill the hole but just wanted to make sure...

Thanks, John.

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I don't know . My trailers use U-bolts to hold the axel to the springs.

3. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    But the plate that the u blots go through have a hole at the top for the nut of the leave spring pack.

Where the top of your axle touches the bottom of the spring back is the bolt to the nut that holds the spring pack together....that bolt is resting on the axle....my old axle had a hole for the bolt to fit in but the new one doesn't...

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Just make sure you don't take it to a repair place or you will end up like me and pay $640 just to get it fixed.:sad2:

5. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i help a buddy change his out,and we just got the axle lined up where it was going and marked and then drilled,

6. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm guessing it must be a square axle, if not (and it's round) you'll need a pair of spring-perches to weld onto it.

If it is square, just drill holes in the bottom (only, not all the way through). Be sure the springs are hanging straight on the trailer & take a measurement center to center on the springbolts. Transfer this to the axel, it'll be alot easier & accurate than trying to mark it "in place".

Smitty

7. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Usually the bolt thur the springs have the nut to the top. If the bolt is going down thur the spring it might be too long for your spring pad ( perch ) . You can get a new bolt at most any auto parts store. If you don't have trailer brakes on that axle you don't need much bolt there. Its mostly to make sure the axle is properly aligned and keep it in place. Always retighten your u-bolts after a couple of trips.

8. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    The old axle was square and didn't need the perches just the holes so the spring bolts would be resesed in the axle tube....

The new one is round and requires spring perches to be welded to the axle. The bolt will pass thru the hole in the spring perches...

Today I called the store I purchased the axle from and they said they "forgot" to give me the perches....so I went back today to get the perches.....

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!!! :big_smile: