New anchoring system

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by goingfishin, Feb 2, 2008.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Just wanted to show everyone my new anchoring system. I built two of each. The first picture is of what I am going to mount to the boat. The second picture is of a pole with an ogger mounted to the end. To mount the ogger I bolted the end in a pole then filled the end of the pole with lead.( It is very strong.) The bracket my buddy built. He just welded everything. I put carpet on the bracket just so I would not have to hear the sound of metal rubbing all day. I am going to slid the pole through the brackets and jab them in the ground, then I will screw them in untell the are stable. I built this because I hate setting anchors and always just hoping they will hold. Granted they will only work in shallow water but that is what I mainly fish.

Attached Files:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well it looks as if it should work for ya, since ya fish shallow water, kinda like a power pole I would guess, hope ya don't ever screw one into an old root or something :eek:oooh: Do you have an "out" in case for some unforeseen reason you can't get one backed out? (Just a thought) maybe design your mounting bracket with a lock pin so if you ever had the problem you can un-lock it. Good luck, take a few pics of it in action would ya?

3. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I will just unbolt it if it get stuck. My boat is in the shop right now so it will be a few week before I can get pictures of it in action, but I will. Thanks for the reps.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOOKS GOOD 1111111111111111111111

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    CJ, couldn't tell what kind of boat you mounted it on, looks good though. I have a description of mine in the library that I post a few years back. Mine is mounted on my Catoon. The brackets are two separte pieces, one at deck level and one halfway up the fence. Last summer I modified again. I had been using 10' PVC poles, I was able to anchor in 4 to 5 feet of water, but they were somewhat flexible. Last year I aquired some 4' aluminum tent pole sections(army), I had three sections welded together, capped the top, beveled the bottom and capped it , they still float this way in case they get dropped. I'd thought about the auger system you have on yours, but on the river and lake, we've not had any trouble pushing them into the bottom, even sand, a couple of twists and they come right out.
    There's some pics of how I run with them and also storage capability. Might give you some ideas.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your pics when you get them posted.

6. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    That's what we call portable trees around here. It sure beats using anchors and you can never find two trees that are just right and in the right spot. I use 2-10 sections of 1-1/2" metal conduit. I stab and hammer them down in the mud and just bungee cord them really tight to the cleats on the boat. I never thought about using some sort of braket like the one in the picture. I the boat is rocking quite a bit, I'll slip a koozee over the pole and slide it down until it sits between the boat and the pipe. The boat sits perfectly still without any swaying. Then I'll put 8 to 10 rods out and wait for the clickers to start screaming.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    They're called spuds on work boats, barges, etc.

Years ago I had a pirogue with spud wells molded into the hull, fore and aft. When it was spudded down, I could duck hunt out of it.

Seems like I've seen spud wells offered as options on jons, but I can't remember where. CRS sux.:wink:

8. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Looks good thx for sharing with us

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    CJ, that's the "pole anchor system" I used to use two "grabber" anchors, no matter how tight your lines were, or how slight of a wind you had, eventually they'd work loose. They are great for anchoring, as long as you don't want to stay still.

10. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    looks good. creative great idea bud

11. cyncitycat

cyncitycat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    looks good hope to see it inaction making newthinks that work for you is half the fun of catfishing overcoming and addapting