New ammo

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Txbluecatman, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Any body have any experience with the hornady .44mag 225 grain flex tip leverlution ammo? Since I am at a stand still on the reloading for the 44 til I get some more primers I was shoping around at the local sports store and came across these. They had them priced at 16.99 per 20 round box. I picked up five boxes. So far the accuracy is not bad. I'm getting one inch groups at fifty yards off the bags. Now I just wonder if the terminal performance matches all the hype I have been hearing about these rounds.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have heard lots of good things from the lever gun guys i know. My dad said that he will try them when he gets around to reloading again.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I use them in a .444 Marlin, 265 grain 2325 fps and I am tickled with the performance!

They are about 300 fps faster!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,That is a great price,I just got a box of Sierra 55gr Blitzkings for my .223 and they were 16.99/100 lots of weight difference there for the price. By the way my friend gave them to me at his "dealer price too" I saw the shipping slip.

5. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Seeing one deer shot with the ammo makes me no expert. But It preformed well. I'd say similar to any other factory 444. I prefer to load my 444 with the Barnes X bullet, its an awesome performer! I haven't had any problems getting either the Barnes bullets or Re #7, which I usually use for powder in my 444.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    One thing to keep in mind is that the leverevolution ammo in the handgun calibers are intended for the longer barrel of the lever gun. It's probably using a slower powder to get maximum velocity from the longer 16 to 20 inch barrel. The old 180 grain 357 ammo was intended for rifle barrels and was actually faster through the chronograph than the 158 stuff that was designed for the shorter revolver barrels.

You might not get the velocity you want out of a revolver if they're using the slower burning powder, it won't completely burn up in the shorter handgun barrels. Some of it will get blown out and burn outside the barrel. If you're seeing a big fireball out of the end of the barrel, bigger than usual, then it's probably got the slower burning powder.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have heard great things about the .44 and .357 leverevolution rounds out of revolvers so far. as for what you paid on them, that's a heck of a deal on loaded .44 rounds for sure!