New Age Young Store Clerks

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TDawgNOk, Dec 27, 2005.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Have you ever been to a store and made the mistake of asking the clerk a question about a product?

I was at Best Buy today, went to look at digital camera's. I saw that they had a sale on some of their computers. *(I'm a Technical Support Technician, I know computers)* I asked the clerk/salesman a simple question about the rebate that they had on one model. Out spewed the biggest pile of BS that I have been on the recieving end of in quite a while. He started by saying "Dude, these things are so much cooler now than they were back in your day, heck, you'll need some of our classes to use them but they are great!" He then proceeded down an obviously memorized script about why x computer was better than y computer. All I had asked him was if the rebate was instant, or mail in because one of my friends is looking for a cheap computer for his daughter.

Why are the clerks so poorly trained? Why don't they have a clue? Why do they assume that we know absolutely nothing?

Your opinions?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I dunno bro? I know what you mean though. I hate poorly trained clerks.
    Maybe now though, you can start a "Why I hate Best Buy" thread......LOL :p

3. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    too funny, i can understand your frustrations for sure. i guess its fallout from all the insanely stupid people that they deal with all the time. ive a friend that used to run the comptuer section of an office depot and eeeek, the stories he would tell. hahahaha

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Your luck was better than mine today, I never did find a clerk for the DVD department. I wanted to buy a DVD but they wasn't anyone to help so I went else where.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My biggest gripe is that these kids have never learned how to count change back to you. They just put a stack of bills and some coins in your hand and I'm left standing there mumbling stuff about idiots and where the world is headed.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Take the opportunity to point out to them their ignorance a nd stupidity. I promise ya that ya will feel better. Just look em square in the eye and say,"Hey dummy how do you manage to get your socks on in the mornin?" Or somethin to that affect. LOL! My advice is take back your little part of the world every chance you get.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think the worst are in th sporting goods departments at large stores such as Walmart. Geez!

8. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey George,that would be a good-new -award-(The dummy Award). :rock-big:
    Ernie

9. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    My gripe is clerks with a cell phone stuck in they're ear when that happens and they don't at least greet I like to just stand there until they do. But it all boils down to the way they are trained and what the boss puts up with so call the home office to let them know about the service or lack there of

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    George I like your style, I wish I could be more like you!

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Real good idea Ernie! LOL!

Jack, no ya don't its kinda strange in here. LOL!

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Id give em a call and let them know how disappointed you were with the customer service. Stuff like that can make them lose sales. I called walmart recently and they gave me a 20$ gift card. I left everything on the counter and walked off after a supervisor refused to help a cashier.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    "Hey dummy"....... OH My Gosh Thats Funny! REP POINTS for that !

Jack, your right, sporting good help @ a department store like Walmart/Kmart is horrible. I gues that the more reason to shop our small tackle stores or places like CC.

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    "Kinda Strange in here" that was funny George........ :0a1: :eek:

I bet it is!....Just kidding....LOL :eek:

15. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    George, George, George......George, George,
    You can't go around calling people dummy and pointing out their ignorance. that's just not right. These days we have to be POLITICALLY CORRECT. :rolleyes:
    We have to have our kids compete in ballgames where they don't keep score so no one loses. We have to be sensitive and settle for service that varies from barely adequate to total crap and just be grateful that we got to keep someone in a job by not complaining. :rolleyes:
    I constantly berate myself about my dissatisfaction because I just expect too much. I am obviously totally unreasonable when I expect people to know how to do their job. :rolleyes:
    I know that we can't all be brain surgeons and nuclear physicists but I was raised to do the best job I can whether it was rebuiling an engine or cleaning the toilet.
    Mark, the change thing makes me nuts too. They don't count it back to you becuase that would involve counting. Most clerks and cashiers couldn't make change if their lives depended on it. If the register didn't tell them what to give you back they'd be lost.

It's all kind of depressing really...W

16. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    What is POLITICALLY CORRECT any? I mean now if they are a dumb Ba$$ why not let them know? LOL I have to agree with ol George on this one. Maybe they were born in a back cooler at a MacDonald’s some where…LOL I have no idea but as far as I am concerned this POLITICALLY CORRECT stuff goes it is offensive to me. I have been called many things but that is not one of them and I hope it never is. I would rather be honest…..LOL

As far as these younger store clerks go I make them break it down in simple terms then I hit them with the tactical questions on computers any way like what is the true speed of the processor, how fast is the hard drive, what brand of chip is in it and can it handle 64 bit software or is it strictly 32 bit, or a 16 bit that thinks it is 32 bit, why is 64 bit better than 32 bit and can the mother board be upgraded to handle 2 or more processors, what is max memory you can upgrade to, can it handle 2 or more monitors with out having to upgrade the video graphics adapter, how much video RAM dose it have, and my personal best is if I move it do I need to change the MAC address? I find that this is when they know they don’t have a chance and that I know more than they do…..LOL I love to mess with there heads it can be fun at times...LOL

Yes I can be a real pain but hey I did learn from some of the best like Grorge, keith, Bob, Mark, DH, Vic, DRC, Sal, and a few other great tearches here LOL :D :rolleyes: ;)

17. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    And we ask for no onions! What is so hard about that? LOL!

18. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    When I lived in LA, I use to go to one sporting good store to buy all my stuff. I went in one day and wanted to look at a Colt 45 auto. The kid behind the counter told me they were called 45's because they had 45 parts. Now I was an armorer in the military, so needless to say, I tore it down as far as possible with out some tools. I told him, wow this thing has 49 parts on the counter and a few more not taken apart as of yet. Then I turned and walked out with him standing there with his mouth hanging open. I went back in a week later and the owner, said, hey Dick are you the one that took the 45 apart and left, I knew him quite well. I laughed and told him yes. He had it in a box under the counter so I put it all back together for him. I told him what happened and why I did it. He got a good laugh and said the kid was no longer there. Loved messing with the kids mind.lol Just call me, Mr. Prck.

19. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    hehe yes the clerks today (if thats what you want to call them) are terrible. me i say show them they are dumb think thats why my wife loves me so much i dont pull punches, but the wone thing that really gets me is when i go into a parts house and they tell me ford never made a truck like i have. ive got so mad and just said your the &#@&^#%@$#%#$^$&#%# ignorant fool ive ever seen and walked out many times. owner wont get rid of the jerk. so i now go to another town for parts. :rolleyes:

20. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jim, I'm deffinately with ya there. When I left, the poor kid was so bamboozled and confused, it probably took him 45 mins to realize that his head was indeed attatched to his neck, and that yes, he was indeed standing erect.

I played dumb for a few minutes, like, asking him what this button does, and why the drink holder slides in and out. Then I started asking him about the chipsets, and wether or not it had the latest drivers. Finished up by getting really into detail about the processor and how it works with windblows xp.

Poor kid shoulda just answered my question with a simple yes/no. Woulda saved him a headache.

As far as people not counting out change. Go somewhere and when they tell you that you owe 13.36, give them 3 5's and 2 pennies. Watch as they get confused and wind up calling a manager who will stand there messing with the register for 5 mins trying to count out your change.