New ABU Reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Feb 11, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I went out today and gave in and bought an Abu 6500c3 today!I have two 7000s but i hear just about everyone on here talking about the 6500c3 so i thought id get one.Its my valintines present from my wife,looks and feels like a really good reel.Im pretty excited about trying it out.I do have a few qustions though,what pound test line do you guys use on yours? I have 20# and 30# on my 7000s.i was thinking for small to med size channels mybe 17# or should i go on and put 20# on it to be safe?
    Also ive read about some of you talking about putting power handles an them.What exactly are power handles and what are they for?Thanks for the info.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Did you get the 05 or the 06 model? You can tell by the color on the handles and release.

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

If you got to www.catfishconnection.com (look to the right) go to Search, and enter AGPHS in the search catagory, and you will see one there. Instead of the handle being centered, it's off set so you have more cranking power.

Ray

4. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Im not sure if its the 05 or 06,which one is better? mine has gray handles on it which one would that be?

5. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Oh ok yeah they have those on the abu 7000s i have, i was wandering what the difference was.thanks

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    man i got to stick with the 7000. i got 14 7000s and 2 6500s. the 7000 just have more cranking power than the 6500s. the 7000 gear ratio is lower than the 6500 but the 7000 line retreive is the same as the 6500. 25in.per turn on the handle. the 6500 may do fine for smaller cats but when big boy hits i want my 7000s. now for casting distance the 6500 may win but the 7000 is a close second. you get a 40lber on in a little current with that 6500 you may have to pull anchor. great valintines gift. just my 2 cent

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I think the 06s are the classics with the new drag. the classics dont have the stickers around the side rims. If it has stickers its a regular c3 with the old drag. I put 65# power-pro and a power handle on mine:) .

8. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    If you plan on using your 6500 for channel cats only I would use 14 to 17 lb test. Then use a 20 lb leader for abrasion resistance. I think you will like the castability of the lighter line better. Since you all ready have the 7000s for the big stuff no reason to go overboard on line test on your 6500.
    I like the power handles on the 6500 just because they are easier to grip . JMHO

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Bearcat stole my thunder!!! I couldn't agree more, depending on the average size of the channel cat in your area I'd go with 14 or 17# test. The abu garcia 6500 is an ideal size for channel cats!

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Easy guys I have my reasons for going overboard on line test and I added the power handle for the same reason, easy to hold on to. I like to cramped my hand reeling in some practice casts with the stock handle. As far as the line I tried power pro braid so I had line cap, could get my tackle back from snags, pull smaller fish up the river bank, and be ready for the big ones when they come along.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Not a big deal and I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, catfish, but it seems that if both reels are retrieving 25" of line, then the final gear ratios must be equal, due to the larger diameter spool of the 7000. I realize that the published gear ratios are different, but the large diameter 'tire' evens things up. Just curious if that's right or not.
    I don't own a 7000, but I've been considering trying one. I know they are probably better designed for larger fish; I just like the physical size of the 6500's, and I've caught a lot of big fish on them, mostly large stingrays, redfish and sharks in saltwater (but I'm still searching for that over-30# catfish, LOL). My way of reeling in a large fish is to pump the rod, recover line as I lean back into the fish, then pump again, etc. This takes a lot of load off the reel, letting the rod and line absorb shock, but yet the higher ratio reels allow me to recover line quickly. Just my .02, ya know.

12. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i like the 6500 and the 7000 . as far as the power pro goes i have bass fished and catfished with it and it does great. the only thing i have noticed that concerns me a little is that power pro tends to not like rocks. i have fished rip rap while bass fishin and i found that the 1' to2' of line above the bait would be badly fraid. i can only remember breaking off a few times, but it has happened.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey blackwaterkatz there is a big difference between the two reels. its like going and buying a new truck. you can get it with a 3.08 gear or a 4.11 gear now the truck thats going to pull the best is the 4.11 its a lower gear. the trucks have the same size tires so ever time they turn over they travel the same amount. im not saying the 6500 wont catch a big fish by no means. i started out with 2 5600c4s and then went to 6500 c3s and then went to 7000s. i dont even use my 6500 or 5600 anymore because i like the 7000 pulling power. if you to get some 7000 go to bps or cab. there 99.00 ever other bait shop wants 140-155 same reel.i wouldnt bought 14 of them if i didnt see a difference.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ok, Michael, sounds like I'm going to have to try out one of the 7000's. I just like the size of the 6000 series, like I said, although I will admit the drag is lacking just a little at times, although I can honestly say, that's only cost me one big fish as far as I can recall. That was a huge redfish and it left that shallow water pushing a wake like a submarine, stripped my line down to the bare spool, and kept on going. LOL

15. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    The 6500 will handle large fish with no trouble. I've caught 50 pound red drum and blue cats up to 62lb with my 6500 Pro Rocket.

It's nice to have a lower gear ratio but it only really matters, imo, when you're routinely "reeling in" with no fish on. When you're fighting a fish, especially a large one, you're pumping the rod anyway. Power handles are a must! Especially with the higher gear ratio.

I've got a 7000c3 also, and frankly, I don't like it much. Once I upgrade the drag I will like it much better. With the stock drag I have to tighten with all the strength I can muster to get 10 pounds of drag. In all fairness, - my 6500s have upgraded drags. They probably weren't much better out of the box, I just don't remember what they were like and I upgraded them pretty quickly.

It's also got plenty of capacity for 20 pound line. That's the size I routinely use when pier fishing for drum - making 275 - 300 foot casts. Castability will not be an issue.

/Scott

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Scott, without getting off-topic too much, can you tell me where to get the upgraded drag washers? I would like to go through my 5000 & 6000 series if I can. I've never had any significant drag problems, except that I have to really tighten down sometimes on a big fish.
    I think I'm still going to get a 7000 and rig it up for big blues and flatheads, cause I'm certain that I am going to break the 50# mark this year, maybe even on the trip that I plan to make to the James next month.

17. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I thinking about getting one now, all the good reviews I'm reading.

18. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Tommy, just do a google search for "smoothie drag washers" and the link should be the first hit on the list.

/Scott

19. willisjj

willisjj Guest

What length and size of rod are you pairing it up with? Just curious as I am thinking of picking one up soon and just wondering what rods yall are putting it on.

20. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i have my 6500 on a 7 ft granger ocean rod by eagle claw(which is actually a spinning rod). i use 20# mono line. might go to a braid one day when i can afford it lol. love the rod and the reel.