New Abu Garcia Fishing Reels

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Tangler, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Ok, so i just got really into baitcasters recently and I think i got a pretty good deal on some used abu reels. I picked up 3 of them in a lot off of ebay for a really good price.

Abu 5500c
    2. Abu 6000c
    3. Abu 5000

All are in good shape and just need some cleaning. Now i know a lot of guys on here are abu fanatics so does anyone have any of these reels and if so how have they treated you?

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Abu Garcias are the best made reels in my opinion... Very durable, you can replace parts if needed, and they will last a lifetime!!! rollo

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have a bunch and I have never had any trouble with them. I have replaced some parts due to wear. I use 7000/6500/5000.

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I run all Abus also and ive never had any problems with them! You will be really impressed with them for sure! Ive never owned the 5000 and 6000 series but have heard great things about them!

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have dozens of them. I love them. The 5000 is pretty much the same size reel as the 5500 but the 5500 is a higher speed retrieve. Most applicable to lure or even bobber fishing. Anytime you'd want a faster retrieve. The 6000 should have a bait clicker. A definite plus. In the past catfisherman steered away from the 5000 and the 5500's because of the smaller spool size. (you can't fit very much 30 pound mono on a small spool) But, with todays braids you can put several hundred yards of high strength braid on the smaller ones.

6. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have all 3 my 5000 D is the diret drive and it is over 30 yrs old and still a great reel

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    You cannot go wrong with Abu's. I have one 5000b that I bought in 1973. it works as good today as the day I took it out of the box. I have 2- 500c models a 6500c3 and a 7000 Pro Rocket. Figure I stick with the brand since I've never had an issue with any of them. The 5000's have a small spool but if spooled with braid the capacity is more than sufficient for my needs.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Just got my 3rd. 6500C. Used a friends last year and loved them, certain i'll enjoy these also. I use to bassfish with the 5000 but they were bigger than i cared to palm all day crankin or throwin a top water.

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Of the 3 ABU's mentioned in the thread starter, I own a 6000 ABU that I won on the Contest Giveway. Great reel for sure! Simply put, Abu's are great reels period. With proper maintainance, they should last for years or perhaps a lifetime!! LOVE THEM!!

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I fish with them,,, , build them, modify them,, sleep with one on the nightstand next to me,,,:crazy:,,Play with the clickers , and switches,, :smile2:Starting to think I might like them...

11. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I've got a few 6000s and a few 6500s and love em.

12. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Just got em in today! Cleaned them up and lubed everything and they all are in great shape! That 5000 is a classic, lol. But still cranks like a new one:roll_eyes:.
    I will be ready to hit the water tomorrow night! The fish wont have an excuse for being hungry this weekend as i plan to have bait in the water nearly every minute of it :smile2::smile2:

Tang