New abu 7000 from china

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by gearhead, Oct 25, 2007.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I went to bass pro and looked to buy a new black 7000 and it was'nt stamped with the made in switzerland and it had a sticker on the box made in china and they had just sold their last older silver model so I put it back. Is there not going to be any swiss made units anymore ?:sad2:

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i dont know what to tell you. its just like pretty much everything now days. alot of things say american made, but all of the parts are manufactured elsewhere, but they are assmbled in the US. go figure.

3. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    dont worry they are still swiss made one and just for your info the china ones are relly good reel to be honest bad asa i hate 2 say it

4. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Its a shame when you want something and its made over there ,you really want to keep your money here and boycott anything made there but they make almost everything.:angry:

5. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Its a sorry state of affaires we have come to. Greed has overcome pride in workmanship and quality. Its all about the profit margin. Look at Wal Mart products and see how much is made in America. We are becomming a throw away society day by day because big business does not want the product to last longer than the warrantie period. They want you to buy another one after that. I refuse to accept it as the norm, but nothing will stop it. Buy all the quality made things you can before they all vanish. We can hand these down to our kids. Throw the rest in the garbage can. Catfishjon

6. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    you know i have been overseas and i know what kind of quality (or lack tere of) they put into thier gear. the Japanese put some really high grade stuff on the market, but anything else from the asian continent i would not hav e any faith in. not bad mouthing anyones ethnicity, just MHO.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The fact of the matter is that LABOR is cheap overseas. Therefore companies can buy/resell here for a large profit margin and still keep the price low enough to satisfy the CHEAP American Consumer.

I will pay a good hefty price for a well made American Product. A lot of people only look for the bottom price. You gets what you pay for folks! If more people would pay up for good American products, good American products would be manufactured to supply the demand!

Until then, expect your store shelves to be stocked with the cheap stuff for the masses. Search out the suppliers of quality goods and just pay what it costs. The stuff is available if you want it bad enough. But it ain't gonna cost $9.99 per 3 pack.:smile2:

8. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Okay, the 7000 series hasn't been produced in SWEDEN for several years. They've been farmed out to a company in Japan, then to Tiawan, and now it looks like China. The 6000 series at this point still say "Made in Sweden". I read a report online somewhere that someone had seen a 6000 series in Walmart that said china on it, so they may be contracting out their low end reels, now. I'm sure the international series 4000-5000-6000 reels are Sweden, as are the the vast majority of the reels sold here. Just not the 7000's.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Darryl said it.
    If we want to have more manufacturing in America and buy only products made totally in the USA then we have to be prepared to pay a price for an item that covers higher priced raw materials and higher priced manufacture. The cost are so much higher here because the American worker wants higher wages, a benefit plan, a retirement plan, annual raises etc. Health insurance is through the roof as are drug costs. Add to that the shareholders, most of whom are American individuals or American retirement funds demanding higher returns.
    If we are prepared to pay for all that then we can buy American.
    However, USA made doesn't automatically mean good quality just as foreign made doesn't automatically mean bad.
    On the actual subject of this thread, I have six ABU 7000csi's made in China and they are just fine...W

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I need to look at my 7000c3i because I'm pretty sure it says Sweden. although this reel is silver. Maybe the different grades has something to do with it. You know ball bearings over bushings.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't even know what my brand new 7000 ic3 is? I bought it at Bass Pro 2 weeks ago. I hope it isn't made in China. I paid $129.00 I think.

It sure is nice compared to the 6600's I have been using. Must buy MORE!!!!!

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Nope,
    Says right on the box "Made in China".
    I think a lot of quality issues depend on the parent companies attitude toward inspection and other quality assurance methods. The Chinese are as capable of making quality items as anyone. Workers anywhere will cut corners if they are allowed to get away with it. Go get those reels Darryl...W
    P.S. CSI is my nickname for them, too much TV I guess!

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Yep looked at my box and thats where there made CHINA. Smooth reels, had some problems with the clickers and a grinding noise once in a while and the handles crack but other than that I love em....
    Darryl you can find them for 100.00 and free shipping if you need another.

14. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    There are still plenty of Swedish made Abu's but your not likely to find many of them at BPS or Cabelas... you have to look where the demand is (Ocean/surf tackle shops).
    There are more and more Swedish Abu's being sold by the big outfitters, and this is great.. but for a decent selection of high end abu's check places like Hatteras Jack and Hatteras Outfitters. The reel's aren't cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

I was just recently involved in a "debate" about the same issue (item's made in the far east Vs. Items made closer to home). I was looking for a rod blank that is designed, and made by one man in the UK and everyone kept recommending a rod that is a great rod by all means, but it's mass produced in China and I have enough Chinese products.. but it started a "who said Asians don't make good products" argument and it was just a mess... Sadly there are very, very FEW fishing products made in the USA... too few frankly. If you want something that's not Chinese, or Taiwanese then Japanese is your only option... Now there are great products coming out of the far east.. and some real "$h*T" ... so you have to be careful.

I'll never give up my Avet reels because they are 100% made, assembled, and serviced here in the USA...

Generally I would say there isn't much difference... like with penn and okuma reels.. they are great reels, regardless of where they get assembled. But with the Ambassador reels you definitely get a LOT more reel for your money by going with the Swedish models.

There is one other option, and that is get a custom assembled Ambassadors with the parts and features you want and need. They are not that much more expensive than the Swedish abu's in fact many are along the same price range. Foran Reel service (hookless dot com) has a ton of features and options and is well respected as one of the best reel sources for the old school, die hard, and custom Abu reels around.

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Now Let Me Get this Straight OK. You Say the China Made Reels are Fine as Long as You Don't Eat the Paint Off of Them and get Lead Poison? Am I Understanding that Right? J.D.
    :beat_brick::beat_brick::big_smile_2::byebye:

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

It is not so much greed as it is survival. If the worlds largest retailer wants to buy your product and needs the price point to be 1/2 of what you offered it to them for, then you have to do something to cut expenses. To cut those expenses and still maintain a living given the investment you have given to your product, usually means sending labor overseas.

17. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for the heads up JD. man i guess i better stop chewing on my reels when i am bored and waiting on the fish to bite. :tounge_out:

18. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Shawn,I Just Happen to work for the Worlds largest Retailer,And I will Give You an example of what one manufacture said to Us.(Snapper Lawn Mowers) we told them that they(Snapper)needed to lower there purchase price so as We could sell them chepper to our customers and have the Best Price on the street,and they could do this if they went off shore down south(Mexico).and if not We woulden't sell there product any more. well Old Snapper told Us to Go Pound Sand up You know where and they are No longer sold By Us.I Admire Snapper for what they did,Not Only did they Keep the Jobs here in the U.S.But It Took some Guts to do so And they are Still in Business.I Went out and Bought one of there Machines,and If we Don't like the China Made Stuff We All can Vote with Our Wallets and change That Issue!! JMHO J.D.

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    JD, I wish that they would use their power for the betterment. All they would have to do is price their buying prices at an American Labor rate and prohibit "international" labor forces and they could almost overnight cure a lot of what ails us economically. They would have to raise their prices, but could still just through their size and amount of product they push per year keep it manageable and Americans in jobs.

20. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was at Wally World and looking at reels. The Abu Garcia 5000 and 6000 series they had had MADE IN SWEDEN on the reel and box. The 5600CBX they had had ENGINEERED IN SWEDEN and MADE IN CHINA on the reel and box.

I might pick up the 5000 cause I like the V spool better than the level spool of the 6000.

Jerry