New Abu 6000B

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Titus, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, Ky
    Just ordered a 6000B from Rogers for 49.99, I thought it was a good deal. Anybody have any opinions on that reel. I wanted an Ambassadeur with a bait clicker and didn't want to drop $100.

2. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Don't think you'll be unhappy.

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I look forward to reading some of the replies myself.

I did find a site that stated the B series had bushings, instead of bearings, and that's why they can be sold cheaper. However, in the description at Rogers, they list SS bearings. Not sure who is wrong or right, but as long as it casts well, i'm not that concerned.

The 6000B at $50 is cheaper than the reels that I was considering. Although, they are basically the same.

Please give an update when you get a chance to try them out.

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    * Bump

Sombody...anybody? Any new info to add?

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I looked on the site and it looks like a regular 6000. :confused2: the regular 6000 is just as good as a 6500.

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Just curious, what is supposed to be the difference between the 2? The size and gearing are the same. Hell, they are even the same color. :)

Sadly, it appears that they are no longer listed at $49.99. That was quick.

7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I emailed Rogers and they said it was an oversight. The 6000B reels are still/now listed at $49.99.

I was very interested and was just about to place a order for a couple, but then realized that they didn't list a left handed version. I am currently awaiting a reply from Rogers, as to if they have a left handed version available...or if they would be willing to get some. It was a bulk purchase by them...thus the really cheap pricing.... so my expectations are not very high.

8. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    OK, I just learned from Rogers that the stock of 6000B's that they have are all right hand reels. No surprise there.

So, this is probably a really dumb question, but I won't know the answer til I ask. :)

Is it possible to take the parts from a left handed 5601C4 and switch them over to one of those 6000B's...thus making it left handed?

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    6000 has bushings and 6500 has bearings. BOTH GREAT reels! It seems like every big fish I catch will dodge around five or six 6500s to get to a 6000! :wink:

Bill in SC

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Being a Garcia, do you really notice any issue with casting distance, even though it's bushings?

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The answer is no...

12. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    That's what I figured, but thought I would ask anyway. Thanks Jack.

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have a 6000 and a 6500c3 i see no difference in them one dont cast any better than the other the difference is just the price

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I can relate to this one Keith. Fished with ya several times an the reels always casted about the same.

15. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Thank you Keith. That is actually some pretty good news to find out. Now if I can only convince myself that I can survive without a left handed baitcaster, i'll be set. :big_smile:

16. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Keep e'm lubed often and the bushing reels are actually tougher than a ball bearing reel and will take more abuse. They are right in stating SS bushings in this model reel, the older 6000's came with brass bushings. You wont be dissapointed in a good economical cat reel!:wink:

17. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Thanks everyone. The info that I was given is exactly what I needed. I was sold on the idea of getting a couple of those 6000B's. Unfortunately, my brain would not let me buy anything that wasn't a lety. The price was great, but the direction was not. :)

I have decided to buy a couple of others, that are lefty. I have a line on a couple of TCG6001C's. If that doesn't happen, i'm probably going to get 6501TC's. I should kknow and have my new gear within a couple of weeks.

Still though, anyone looking for 6000 series Abu's, the price of those B's at Rogers sure does to appear quite good.

18. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I thought that too when I bought a 6501c3. I got a deal on a 6500 and it has since become my favorite. Yet I still use a left handed spinning set up.

19. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    As you can see from my previous post, I just couldn't get around that problem. :) Being right handed, my rihjt is stronger than my left...I can hold on and fight the fish with my strong arm, while cranking them in with the weaker. :) All the while, I never have to switch hands.

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    um are you serious :confused2: inless your 4yrs old or disabled a 6000 is NOT gonna have enough drag force to pull your arm off:tounge_out:. im right handed and dont think id be comfortable reeling with my left at all. their just catfish not jew fish if they were youd need a bigger reel because like i said a 6000 pays out line too easy. left handed reels are not common because left handed people are not common, dextarity not strength.