New 6500TC

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Chrisingeorgia, May 19, 2007.

1. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I just got a new abu ambassadeur 6500TC in the mail today and I'm a little disappointed in the size of the reel. I was expecting it to be much larger so I could load it with plenty of 30lb mono. The size was a little hard to judge when I was looking at it online, but I figured since it said it was a "trophy" reel it had to be big. On the side of the reel it says it can hold 155yds of 20lb, but I was really hoping to use 30lb. Do you think loading it with 30lb mono would be a problem?? I don't use braid.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You won't get much 30lb test on it. If you're fishing from a boat, that won't be a problem. If you're fishing from the bank, you won't have much line for distance. I liked the looks of the one my buddy got, but when he wasn't looking, his rod almost went in the water and I grabbed it. We never saw the fish. It kept stripping line, and no matter how tight I got the drag, it just kept going. I was a little dissapointed in the drag on the reel, but that's just about an 8.00 fix. If you want one that holds more of the heavy line, get the 7000 or 9000. The new ones already have the better drag washers. I just got a 9000BG and surprisingly, it throws as good, and maybe a little easier than my 7000s! It was 69.99 from Rogers Sporting Goods in Liberty Mo.

3. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'm probably going to return 6500 and get something a little bit bigger. I already own a couple of the 6000's and they have the same line capasity as the 6500, and this was supposed to be an upgrade. Only difference I could see was the larger crank and a little better clicker. I will check out Roger's Sporting Goods and see what they offer.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I us the 6000 and load them with #40 cajun red. first off you really don't need 150 + yards of line. 100 yards is 300 feet you fish what maybe 50 feet add 50 feet more to play with hell you still have 200 feet of line you dont use.
    My reels may have 100 yards tops and I fish holes up to 80 feet at times with them if your not fishing over that spool it up with your 30 and fish on

5. Chrisingeorgia

State:
    NY
    You guys are really making me do some thinking here. Now I'm leaning more towards keeping the 6500 and just spooling it with 30lb. The 7000/9000 would probably be a bit overkill for fishing from a boat. And you're right, even if I could only get a 100yds spooled it would be more than enough to work with. I don't think godzilla cat's going to take my bait anytime soon, but even if he did I could probably handle him with the 6500 just fine.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I feel the 6500TC we just fine, u can always use 30lb or 40lb braided line.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you're fishing from a boat, then the reel will hold more than enough line. Basically the difference in the 6000 and the 6500 is that the 6000 has spool bushings, and the 6500 has spool bearings. Other than that, the differences are just cosmetic.

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I really like the cajun red line, an you can get more line on the spool with it; than the spool's rating. It has a smaller dia. verses lb. rating and it's affordable. If yer used to baitcasting, I bet the trophy is an upgrade, an I bet you notice it in distance.
    I hadn't used baitcasters in over 30 years, but got two 6000's out saturday, spooled with 20lb cajun red, one on a 8ft & one on a 10 ft and was really pleased with my performance. Think I'm gonna do the bearing upgrade from the library. And I had trouble breaking the line when snagged once....so if I do go up in line rating it will probably be 25# for lake fishing.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have 6000's and 6500C3's. I spool all of them with 30 lb. ande and they will hold more line than you will ever need.