New 4 stroke outboard trouble

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Cheez, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Guys I have a 2008 Suzuki DF115 on my new boat. The motor has just over 20 hours on it. I took it in for the first service a couple weeks ago. Oil and filter change, gear oil change etc. First trip out after the service I noticed a bit of a rattle coming from the motor at over 5000 rpm's. I took it out yesterday and the rattle seemed a bit worse. It is not a rhythmic sound like valves or anything but an intermittent sound. Going back to the ramp it started at 5000 and got worse the harder the boat pulled. I backed off the throttle to 4500 and the sound went away. I gassed it again and could not get the rpm's up over 5500 and it seemed to be losing power.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this before? It is under warranty and I will take it to the dealer when I get time but I would like to hear some opinions of what it might be.
    Thanks

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    John, I haven't spent much time ona four stroke but that sounds like it may be loosing oil pressure or low of oil.

3. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Not that kind of rattle Willard. It sounds more like something is loose. I took the cowl off and did not find anything. The noise doesn't bother me near as much as the losing power does.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Take it back IMMEDIATELY to the dealer. Something is amiss for sure.
    Bill in SC

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Just a thought, you may hope it blows wide open now, at least under warranty you should get a whole new motor. If it only has 20 hours on it and you are already having problems it may be a lemon and cause major headaches after the warranty is out. Just a thought. Vern

6. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    take it back for sure ,but when my yamaha did the same kinda of thing it was the prop . it had loosened up just enough to make nosie. hope it helps.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    John my 140 Suzuki did it after I did the service on it.
    When I took the prop off and checked for line and added a little grease to the splines. I did not get the prop back tight enough. And mine did the same thing. Hope that is it.
    These Suzuki's are great motors.
    pete