New 34" rule for Alabama??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by billNpam, Feb 9, 2009.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I was reading in the most recent Maginizine of Fur Fish And Game. They stated that Alabama has a Catch and Release law for anything over 34 inches catfish wise. I am a CPR guy for big fish anyway but has any one else heard of this new rule?

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yes, here is what the reg says...

Catfish…………… It is illegal to possess more than one (1) catfish over 34 inches in total length taken from Alabama public waters. No blue catfish or flathead catfish over 34 inches in total length may be transported live beyond the boundaries of this state unless permitted in writing by the Commissioner of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. (There is no limit on smaller catfish taken by legal methods.)

3. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I hear that MS is working on the same law. I think it is trying to stop the fish from going to pay lakes.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    34 still seems kinda big to me, seems like maybe 20 or 24 would be more like it for the transporting out of state part. A 33" catfish is a still good size fish.

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    thats good news for ur state i hope illinois does the same thing

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Yes that is a big one.

7. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I'm not trying to be a smart aleck here but the law states that you can only have ONE fish over 34' right?! Not that you have to release everything over 34'. I'm pretty sure Oklahoma just did something similar too, I'm thinking it was 34 or something close, as far as how big they estimate that its around a 12lb blue.

8. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I caught a 32" cat that weighted 12#, I think that IN is trying to pass a 34" law here too! The 32" cat is my pb next to some that was between 5-8#. The 34" & a min, new law would help crack down on fish being taken taken for granted & given a chance for a longer life & more chances of others being able to catch some to keep!:cool2:

9. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    you can have one fish over 34in perday per person and all the smaller ones you want.........:wink:

10. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    it still hurts tourneys it should be for commercal fishing not rod and reel

11. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Jason we need to hook up and do some fishing im over on the other side of Huntsville . I need a reason to go to lake "G" anyway:wink:

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Seems like a good law maybe KY will do it . I think 1 over 34 is fine for ALL fisherman . Here is where I might be troubled by length limits instead of total limits . You catch one over 34 decide that's your BIG keeper thro it on ice right ? Then you deep hook another big one that obviously aint gonna make it . I myself would not wanna waste that fish . I think total limits are the way to go maybe , doesn't matter the species . If it is a 8in. bass and its deep hooked that should be part of your limit of 6 bass or whatever the limit is . I think alot of fish get thrown back to die because of length limits . Once you reach a limit maybe you should be done for the day . I also think this should apply only to mortally wounded fish . I am not saying if you catch your limit and they are in good shape you can't release them .My 2 cents .

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would like for it to happen here in Indiana also.. Im not a big fan of paylakes and I have seen many paylakes over stocked with so many big cats and seen many die due to the fact that they get so territorial they beat the crap out of each other... I see this alot with Blues.. Its no diffent then hunting a group of 100+ deer fenced in a 5 acre lot.. Its just ticks me off.. I want to just take a 10ft radius cast net and just empty them things at night!!

14. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I was one of the AL catfishermen that spearheaded this rule last year. We worked really hard to get it passed. I am an avid tournament fisherman and had the pleasuer of fishing under this law in the BPS classic last year. This law was a welcomed site to most all fishermen, and did not hurt the tournament what so ever. It's a level playing filed for everyone, no one has an advantage. You still need big fish to win, but you have to employ a slightly different strategy to get those four 20-30lb, 33.99" fish in the boat. It's by no means easy.

15. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I would like to see 1 big fish limit in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, and kentucky that includes commercial fisherman.

16. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Pretty sure the length limit doesn't apply to tourneys, they are all catch and release anyhow.

17. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    IT DOES APPLY. The caveat in the rule is to keep "tournament owners" from being in violation of the law during weigh-ins since most tournament rules state that the fish become tournament property at the time the fish are weighed in. In big tournaments at any given time there could be multiple 34"+ plus fish in possession before they are release. In the BPS series Ken Freeman has a glass live tank for the show portion where a couple big fish are held during the tournament for the spectators.

18. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama

some states don't apply the limit but most do...we had to go by this law in the BPS championship here in north bama last year....

19. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ohio does have it 1 fish over 35 no limit under that except some lakes

20. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    they have that in tn i like it