never used a kahle hook

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by readingcatfisher, Nov 23, 2008.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have never used a kahle hook and have only recently started using circle hooks how do you set the hook when using a kahle hook? or does it set itself like a circle?

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i dont know cuz ive never cought anything on a kahle. i will never use a kahle hook again.

3. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    may not work for others. Personaly I use Kahle with good results.
    Kahle are designed to self hook but can be set by the fisherman, unlike circle hooks.
    Loop

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I use 7/0-10/0 Kahles, I like them, as well as J-hooks, they will allow a fish to self hook, and I've found if you set the hook that is successful also, as mentioned in a previous post. For me they seem to be a good deal. I like them better than using circles, which I also use, in 8/0 size. but, am tieing on the Kahles more often than not these days!!

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I started using King Kahles in 9/0 this spring and was successful in landing 2 very nice Flatheads...One weighed 43.1 lbs....and the other weighed 67.2 lbs. I am very satisfied with them and now only use them. I set the hook like there is no tomorrow. I always used J-hooks, but now I'm sold on the kahles. I havent missed one yet!!!! I even set the hook on a good run and set the hook right through the entire mouth of a huge gar. The hook went right through its top of its head!!!! Very sharp right out of the box and easy to sharpen should they need it!!!:big_smile:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Loop on this one. I think kahles are the best of both worlds. You can set it hard or let the fish self hook itself.

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i had always used J hooks till this year i desided to try kahle hooks and C hooks i put k hooks on one pole C hooks on anuther now K hooks is what i like the C hooks just dont do it for me i like the wide gap it has so i can use biger bait it works out good for me i think you would likem:cool2:

8. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we use only eagle claw kahle hooks 7/0 to 9/0 ,we use a reverse golf swing to set the hook. one extra thing i like about kahles is when the fish won`t run with the bait and just peck, the way the hooks are built allows for what we call jerking the fish into the boat. we use a 2 or3oz. egg sinker and worm the shad onto the hook

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    you mean u just cantt get a hook set with them? i was always a j hook user untill this year when i went to circles but there are times when the fish are just lipping the bait that a circle wont hook them!! thats when you need a j hook or a kahle so you can rip their lips off!!

10. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use them mostly for cutbait and really like them.

11. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I use the eagle Claw 9/0 King Kahles and I fish large live Bluegills for Flatheads. In the winter I switch to cut-baits and will probably try 10/0 circles in the hopes that the super long casts and bottom fishing will not hang up as bad as the others. Also....after my last back surgery a month ago....I never want to have to go through that again. Maybe circles will keep me from jerking and doing possible injury to my back. Just a thought that I hope will work for me.:big_smile:

12. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    my main concern was if the fish would self hook or would I have to pull the rod to set the hook

13. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky

:big_smile:I always jerk with the Kahles. I dont know if they will self-hook as I have never given them the chance!

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats what i mean. ive had the rod in a holder bent over all the way nuthing. ive ripped hard and came up empty. switched hooks and cought the verry next fish:angry: i will not use them. either a j or a circle!