Never taking reels apart

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Jun 23, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im the type that takes something apart and messes it up i own three abues will it hurt to leave them alone or will i be screwed if i just clean them on the outside

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We are all different with different gifts and abilities.Folks not knowing their limits causes far more problems for all than knowing your abilities.My son travels over the south east operating a Crane.I repair all of our reels.We each have what we are good at.We each recognize what we "ain't good at".I am losing my ability with age and illness.Do what you feel comfortable with.

From Polaris Submarines to modern chemical plants,I was a mechanic.I fished and worked on fresh & Saltwater reels.I found "abuse" to cause the most damage of all.I believe in reading the manufactures instructions and following them.The folks who know more than the manufactures seem to have the most problems in my belief.I made 80% of my living because of such folk.Reels are no different from what I have seen since 1955.I hired all of my maintenance done on my possessions I did not have the tools for or the expertise to do.I hired out nothing that I could do.

Junkyards are full of good machinery destroyed by MECHANICS???.Sad but true.A reel is a machine.

It is yours.Do what you think you can and have the rest done.If you wish to learn,go for it.Buy cheap junk at a yard sale and take it apart if possible.It may not pay you to buy the tools if you do not have them.

Also.Will you ENJOY doing it or will it just be a "disliked" chore.This is everything to me in anything that I do not have to do.

Asking shows you are smart.Think about it and you will make the right decision for you.Folks on here will help in every way they can.This is what the BOC is all about.Luck.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    every time i have taken an abu apart it has ended up in the trash can cause i cant get it back together right.

Now I dont clean or oil my reels and they are still kicking after many years.

5. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You ain't good at assembling a reel,BUT look at all of the things you are good at!

You do what works for you!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you don't have the knowledge to clean them, then check with a local that cleans and repairs them. Have him to clean one and you watch him. You then should be able to do it yourself. Its not as difficult as you thin k.

7. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I take nothing apart that is not bigger than i am LOL!!! I can do motors, valves, and thing like that but something that small HE!! no!!:big_smile::smile2: I can't even see stuff that small!!

8. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    All to often we are sort of forced into taking something apart we really don't know that much about..
    I grew up with Dad telling me .."It's all Nuts and Bolts Son .. Justa varation on a theme.."

Taking some digital Pictures as you progerss along with a project will sure help ya when it come time to re assemble .. especially if it is a few days between the taken apart and putting together.

Just what I do to offset the Old age creatures.... LOL.:wink:

R Green

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i havent even tried to take mine apart im to skeerd i wont get it back together so i think ill leave to the professionals:wink:

10. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I have some more expensive reels that it would be a shame to lose, if I were to take them apart I am not mechanical enough to ever get them back together properly, even with instructions, a helper, and diagrams. I'll be having them serviced professionally. On a $20 reel though, I will do some basic stuff.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    where abouts in illinois are ya. i live in central il. its possilbe we could get togather sometime. ide be happy to show ya the ropes. its not hard to do once ya see it done. i learned by doing it.

my cost. free. :wink:

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I did not once myself, and I had to let someone else fix it. I will never do that agian. :smile2:

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'm almost the same. Instead of trashing them because their too hard for me to come by, I take them to my buddy that does the work Cheap for me.:wink::big_smile:

14. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I ruined a good Penn reel by taking it apart. There are all sorts of tiny springs and gizmos. If you try it, do it over something that will catch falling parts. My new motto is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I see you have met the the famous Penn "Dog Spring".I do believe it is so called because folks have come to believe it is the son of a female dog.I believe that it has been cursed in every known language.Satan definitely designed this spring

I have found them in my light fixtures,clothes,on top of a door,my hair (when I had some),the dogs hair.bath tub.sandwich,milk,coffee,ice tea,stuck to the bottom of my shoe and many other places.My kids laughed at me over these springs.I have spent several years of my life looking for the ones that got away from me.I always order x-tras when ordering parts as you will surly need them one day.

The ability to assemble a Dog spring in a Penn reel and the ability to assemble a old Charter Arms Bulldog says everything about your expertise in reel and firearm assembly.

Inside a 2 gallon Zip lock bag with a white towel between your arms is the best place that I have found to assemble and disassemble such.I also thread a bright red thread through such things before disassembly now and pull it out after it is reinstalled.It is a lot easier to find with a couple inches of red thread hanging from it.

Yes,I have laughed about them for over 50 years now.I laugh to keep from crying.The tears just obstructed my vision.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    remember folks. that professional didnt know one time either. its not hard. only as hard as ya make it. i learned. take dig pics as ya go and keep a notepad handy to detail the way it came apart. its just dissassembly and reassembly. cleaning is easy. wash in warm water with mild detergent or light oil.

theres nothing more satisfying than being able to fix and maintain your own gear. and once ya know. then when a problen arrises, grit dirt or sand gets in there. you can clean her up. hell i could clean mine on a sand bar if i had a sharp knife to use as a screw driver. but my abu tool is in my tacklebox. i have a few of them.

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Rob,I know all about that,I got two pairs of dollar general readin glasses:wink:eek:ne in the throne room,and the other by my recliner.Ain't no biggie to me tearing down an cleaning my reels.Shoot ,I totally disasemble my firearms periodocally as well. Nothing like a clean well oiled machine.

18. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    That's why I keep extra dog springs around.... They do have a mind of their own... I use a white cloth and a plastic bowl to keep parts straight when I'm working on a reel... only lost a couple dog springs doing it this way!