NEVER Take Knots For Granted!!!!!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Crackr, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am fairly new to the game called 'Flathead Catfishing'. It shows....I haven't caught one this year thus far. With that said, a buddy and myself went out this past Saturday night to a section of White River neither one of us have fished in a long while (Access Site in Worthington, West Fork). We had a storm roll in about 7:45 PM, about a 1/2 hr after we first casted out, and it had ceased by 8:15 PM....with our poles still out there, nothing had happened. From that point using a Carolina Rig with live bluegill as my weapon, I had two 'false alarm' load-ups on my rod. All of this happened in a span of an hour after the storm came and past. But, at midnight, I had casted out one of my biggest bluegill in between a stalled tree under a bridge and a fruitful logjam across river. I had what I'll swear was my second ever, and biggest, flathead I ever landed.....yet didn't. I fought with the fish for only about 25 seconds, then a dead pop was felt. Alas, I reel in 30 lbs. of test, a 5 oz. no-roll attached, and a 'spiral-staircase' look of my line where my hook used to be.

I was sick, no question. I don't think I stand alone when I take pride in braiding a knot......my point is, don't take it for granted. There was no excuse for me other than that knot was tied in haste rather than the TLC required in ensuring your hook-up rate to close to 100%, whether it be a circle or kahle hook. I apologize if I sound dramatic, my point is I cost myself a trophy fish, my CPR routine, and the story that follows that needs NO exaggeration on my part.

Check your knots, then check 'em again. Don't be sorry like I am LOL.

2. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    Man I'm sorry to hear that. I almost always use a palomar knot. It's a quick knot to try and it just holds. I was watching OLN one day and it said when using a mono line, it is really important to wet the line before you tighten your knot. If not the friction will make line even weaker at the knot. I've never had a knot come lose, but I have lost some decent size fish because the knot went through the gap in the eye of a circle hook. I reel the line in and I had my no roll sinker with the knot, just no hook.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Super Glue Gel after tying the knot. Get the quick dry stuff, have not had a problem since I started doing that. Sorry to hear about that.

4. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sorry to hear that. I also know the feeling. I also use a palomer knot and I have never had any problems. Hopefully you get another chance to hook up with a big one.

5. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    "C.R.";
    Sorry to hear you lost one!
    Brandon is correct in that heat of any kind is the bane of monofilment and is to be eschewed at all times! Personally, I use a bit of saliva [being careful to NOT hook my cheek or eye] before chining my know up fully. This lubericates the mono just enough to keep it from heating up while you cinch your knot. Also, don't cinch your knot quickly, this creates the heat! Instead, do it slowly.
    Matt is correct about the super-glue as I remember reading something about that not too long ago myself. As I recall, it does not take much, only a small drop on the finished knot it'self, but I am not 100% certain.
    Perhaps Matt will give us another post with a bit more detail in it? :)
    I too, would like to know how to use the super-glues correctly on some of my mono knots, especially when working with the higher weights of monofilament lines.
    I hope this helps you in some small way.
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO

I just cover the knot with super glue gel after tying the knot. Buy the quick dry stuff and it is good to go in a few seconds. I hope this helps. I will try and get a pic later, it just kinda forms around the knot keeping it from slipping.

Tea

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Crckr, what type of line and knot ?
    PalomarKnots are not the best or braided line. I use a trielene knot for braided line. With palomar knot for mono sometimes one curl will get stuck on hook shank as the knot is tightened. then the end of hook bend cuts line as pressure i applied. always glue knot in braided line. If you don't have glue a single over hand knot in the tag line close to hook might keep line from slipping

8. howardstern

howardstern New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would assume a lot of you guys use the egg singers with a bead infront of it to protect your knot, right?

My question is do you use a bead that has a big enough hole so that it goes over the knot? The beads that I use still hit my knot due to the hole size. Better to have a plastic bead hitting the knot VS a 5oz piece of lead, but I was just asking...

HS

9. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I would want to know if the Super Glue gives off any scent? As you guys know, most cats are very sensitive and it seems like the big ones would pick up any foreign scent and not bite.
    I have lost 5 big cats this summer due to line and/or knot failure. But, I have landed quite a few others. It is part of fishing.

10. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just learned how to tie the palomar knot yesterday. I'm glad alot of you use it, makes me feel like i did something right.LOL

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It's happened to us all C.R...That's why whenever I'm not fishing, on here, or any time of the fishing bug going, I'm usually practicing knots on spare line and hooks. I also experiment with different types of knots.

12. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Palomar unless the eye is bent back then I snell

13. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use a knot called a trotliner's knot. My wife's grandfather gave me a real old book that contained the knot. It is rather simple. The only drawback is that it cannot be untied. I am going to ATTEMPT to explain it.

1. Run your line through the front of the eye.
    2. Pull about 6" or so of line through the eye.
    3. Tie a simple overhand knot a couple of inches up fro the end. (4" down from the eye.)
    4. Put one more loop in the overhand knot.
    5. Start to tighten the modified overhand knot. You will notice a "figure eight" start to develop.
    6. Now stick the point of the hook through one side of the figure eight, over the main part and out the other part of the figure eight.
    7 Tighten the "figure eight" around the shank and cut the excess.

If I can get somebody to scan my drawing, I will post it. It is the best knot I have ever used, and I don't know of anybody, except the old Shanty Town trotliners, who use the knot.

14. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I always tie my palomar knots carefully. I used to fish for panfish a lot and used improved clinch knots and I would rush them and they would never tie right. Sometimes I'd tie them so poorly that my line would come undone in a cast.

15. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    C.R. I agree with you. Check your knot and check line for bad places.
    I use a palamar Knot also. I also add a square knot to the Palamar knot before I cut the tail off. Don't know if it helps but it makes me feel better. LOL
    Sorry to hear about your lost fish.

16. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I love Palomar knots for my barrel swivels. Be sure to tie the leader to the swivel first, so you can pass the swivel and the leader through the loop when you tie it to the main line. Palomar is one of the few knots that puts the line through the eye TWO times instead of one.
    Since I started to use circle hooks, I'm using the Uni-Knot to tie the leader to the hook. By NOT cinching it all the way tight on the eye (pull the tag end with a pliers to cinch the knot on the leader, leaving a loop around the eye), the hook can "pivot" easier in the fish's mouth.
    I don't want to jinx myself, but I'm 100% on strikes-to-hookups so far this year. Try it.

17. mike79

mike79 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    cabelas has a good product they sell, Its called LOON OUTDOORS UV KNOT SENSE. I think there might be a couple other brands out there that might be easier on the wallet.
    later fishin buddies

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Having been brought up on mostly bass fishing, I always used the improved clinch knot and have gotten pretty darned good at tieing one.
    Since I started using braid, I still use it, but I pass the line through the eye twice before starting the wraps. You can add an overhand knot in the tag end for your own piece of mind, but getting hung up and breaking 80# test line without it untieing itself seems like a good enough knot. I will admit that it breaks at the knot, but it is also the knot that is closest to the hangup (usually my weight). I still keep the three-way swivel, leader, hook, and weight leader (replaced anyway).

On rare occassions my weight will pop out and my hook will hang up at the same time. Even then the mono leader breaks at the hook, and the knot to my three-way stays intact.

I have tried to tie some of the other knots, but after tieing the improved clinch for over 30 years, I find it hard to think of the other knots while I am out fishing.

19. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear HS;
    This is just my personal opinion/experience but maybe it will help you out. I put your "quote" below my message so I would not forget why I was writing to you when my wife hollers and I have to get up and go help her out. Sometimes I tend to be a bit absent minded.:embarassed:
    There is a big "BooHoo" in the Bass and Walleye world about using a glass bead over plastic because when your sinker strikes the glass one it makes a different sound that is supposed to attract more Bass/Walleye. Now, my understanding is that this technique came about from one of those Pro Tournament fellows who claimed that was the way he won a particular big money tournament. Personally, I don't fish competitively nor do I have a $40,000 custom fishing boat with side scan digital color sonar with computer fish identification chips included that has a 300 horsepower V6 turbocharged engine, live baitwells, GPS autopilot, ect, ect. :roll_eyes:
    Having said that, I prefer that it's my bead that "bangs" aginst the knot rather than the lead sinker because I feel there is less damage done to the knot. I myself, have yet to shatter a glass bead but at the same time, I've not had any trouble worth mentioning to you when I use plastic too. But!, I am still experimenting myself.
    My suggestion is to "play" around with different setups and find what works best for YOU. :smile2: Your going to find out that there are many, many, different ways to "fish" or setup a rig for catfish. I think it all boils down to what you use that makes you the happiest or works best for you and is the most successful for you too.
    Personally, I keep a small notebook with me when fishing so that when I find something that works, or does not work, I make a note of it so that I either use that method again or not, depending on how it works out for me. But then I am old and senile and have to write things down so I don't forget them!:lol:
    I would make the observation that depending on your knot, a bead that slips down over the knot might put some kind of pressure on the knot that may cause damage to it later on that would result in a failure of some kind if you get a "Trophy" on your line. But that is just my opinion formed from playing with different knots on different hooks, with different lines, then loading them up with weight to see what happens with each combination, as I load it up to the point of failure, in my spare time.
    Don't be afraid to experiment!! That is part of what fishing, be it bass, catfish, bluegill, shark, ect, ect, is all about! :big_smile:
    Here is hoping this helps you at least a little bit.
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Message ]]]]]

20. howardstern

howardstern New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well thanks for the indepth answers.. the only bead i have are plastic and as of right now they just hit the knot. like you said better to hit with plastic than led..

hs